Winch Size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm going to be putting a winch on my '16 2500 Tradesman 4x4 Crew Cab CTD and I was hoping I could get some input from the members here that have some winch experience as to what size winch would be best. I've read that you should get one that can pull double the weight of the truck. Since the truck is about 7500+ pounds that would translate into a 15,000-pound winch. I don't think they make an exactly 15,000-pound winch so that would make it a 16,500-pound winch. Those are, of course, pretty expensive so I've been thinking I could get away with a 12,500-pound winch or maybe even a 10,000-pound (or 9,500-pound since I've seen both weight ratings) if I use a snatch block and double back the line, which is supposed to double the pulling power. What are your thoughts?

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's like buying a boat motor! No such thing as to much power!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to be putting a winch on my '16 2500 Tradesman 4x4 Crew Cab CTD and I was hoping I could get some input from the members here that have some winch experience as to what size winch would be best. I've read that you should get one that can pull double the weight of the truck. Since the truck is about 7500+ pounds that would translate into a 15,000-pound winch. I don't think they make an exactly 15,000-pound winch so that would make it a 16,500-pound winch. Those are, of course, pretty expensive so I've been thinking I could get away with a 12,500-pound winch or maybe even a 10,000-pound (or 9,500-pound since I've seen both weight ratings) if I use a snatch block and double back the line, which is supposed to double the pulling power. What are your thoughts?

Bumper mounted? If so check the rating for the bumper. That'll give you the largest you can use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
The power wagon winch is 12k. I don't know what Ram rates those frame bolts at. There are two 12mm bolts on either side holding the PW winch brackets to the frame. Each one should be able to hold up to 15k, but that's just the bolt. The frame rails tend to be kind of thin.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
With winches biggest isnt always best. Those massive 16k+ winches can really put a beating on batteries and alternators. That weight X 2 rating is for things like Jeeps and crawlers. Big trucks don't normally go wheeling. Winches are more utility purpose...
however, just remember some simple physics. If you snatchblock your line back to your bumper you've just doubled your pulling power.
So I'd say get a 10-12k and a nice snatchblock and you'll still have $$ left over versus buying a massive winch.

evaadam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
So the exact thing is this you want a winch that can pull 12000 pounds then it will be warned winches or an EVO 12 superwinch that can help you because it is waterproof and the warn winches are grateful for 4x4 for more information of winches you can visit this site: heavydutyguide.com

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Well, I do not agree. I had a 10,000 on my 96 2500. Pretty much any pull where you were stuck in mud, ruts or coming out of steep river crossings needed a snatch block. The new 2500 truck, which scales over 8200 lbs with just me in it and 9,600 rigged for hunting, has a 17,500 on it. The extensions, tree straps and snatch blocks are all upsized and rated for the increased pulling power. I ordered it with the big alternator and the snow plow package for electrical output.

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on my second HD Ram with my second 12k winch. I've done some serious pulling and never had an issue.

Dennis Gulau

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, 2015, 2017
Engine
5.9l, Ecodiesel, 5.7l
I have a 12K winch for my 2500. No problem yet.
With a snatch block I feel it will get me out of any situation I'm liable to get into.

That being said, from back in my 4 wheeling days, there is no such thing as too much winch.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been fourwheeling for 30 years and have 3 vehicles in my garage with winches on them. I remember when everybody would recommend the winch be rated at 1.5 times the vehicle weight. I have a Chevy K5 with 1-ton axles w/ lockers, 40" tires, full cage, bumpers, blah, blah, blah that weights 6,000 lbs. with a 9,000 lb. winch. I have always carried a snatch block but have never needed it for the purpose of doubling the pulling power. It has been used simply to redirect the winch line pull, but never had it doubled-back. With that said this is a trail truck so most of the time it is needed is when stuck on rocks, roots, or going up a steep hill versus being buried to the frame in mud. So part of the answer to how big of winch you need is how you expect to use it. If you are in the desert and expect to get hung in washouts and rocks a smaller winch will work the vast majority of the time. If you plan on mudbogging and burying the truck in the middle of a swamp you may want a bigger one. Also, while a winch isn't that complicated to use you can optimize the effectiveness of it by using the proper procedures. The less line on the spool the more power it has (think gearing and tire size). A winch listed as having 12,000 lb. pull is the maximum pull it can generate under certain circumstances and not what it always generates. You need to be on the very last layer of cable to generate the maximum pull. The more layers of cable on the drum the less pulling power it has. For example, if the winch has 100' of cable on it you probably need to have at least 90' of that cable spooled out to get the maximum pull. The angle you have the cable attached to also makes a big difference (includes side to side angle and up and down angle). I've seen a lot of people call their winch junk because they spool 10' of cable out and have it hooked at a 45 degree angle to the side and hooked down low (i.e. winch is pulling the truck down against the ruts and basically wedging it down).
Now with all that said, I would probably recommend at least a 12,000 lb. for size of truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
62 Blazer - good advice.

This is why I say 10,000 winch is not enough on a PW for use in this part of the world. No rocks, dessert or dry roads up here. It is also why we don't mount our winches hidden behind the front bumper, not fond of snorkling in mud. That is an upgraded 8274 with a bunch bigger electric motor and 12,000 pounds pull on a 3500 pound rig and it still needed double lining on occasion.

1661791019415.png

Last edited: