Winter Prep ! Who's Ready ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
80's is cool? Well, we dont freeze when its 30 or 40 and you probably would. Whats your point?

I'll never forget the time I flew from Billings, MT to Dallas. It was December, but it had been pretty warm and was in the low 30's when I left Billings wearing shorts and a hoodie. We landed in Dallas it was 54*. EVERYBODY was wearing winter coats and stocking hats. I thought I was gonna have to ditch the hoodie.

We've been in the teens and twenties this last week. I shave my head so I wear a stocking hat when it's 40 or below now, but I finally traded in my windbreaker for a jacket last week.

However when I worked in Missouri one summer putting in conduit from Columbia to Alton, IL I really struggled with the humidity. We see triple digits in the summer here. 113 isn't uncommon, but it's the cliché dry heat. Missouri would be 80* at 5am and 98% humidity. You'd be wet with sweat as soon as you walked outside. The only reprieve was the breeze, if you weren't tying conduit in a 4' deep hole.

We've been very lucky this year with temps and snowfall. It has been a very mild winter. Knock on wood. I'll take cool weather over hot. I can always put more clothes on when it's cold, but there's a point where taking off clothes to remain cool becomes socially unacceptable. ;)

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You never heard of farms in NY?

You may not have a Ford trim named after a NY ranch, but a little dairy farm in the Catskills is the site of one of the most famous events in the last 50 years.

Peace, man. And don't take the brown acid.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
25 tonight. My plan is to get the hell out of here within the next few years and start my own business. My employer that i have been with for 20 years is gradually screwing us more and more. This state sucks! Long ass winters and some of the worst taxes! Im heading south. I dont know much about canada, but i dont understand how they do the winters there. We are up towards the top of the list for most snowfall in the US where I live (according to past data). Winters would be ok if they werent so long here. I could care less if it snowed a foot a day as long as it wasnt cold. Think how cool that would be to ride snowmobiles around in 80* LOL

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
We don't get much snow around here but sometimes It's bad. Melts usually in a few days. Did see -35c last winter but only lasted a couple days.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
We landed in Dallas it was 54*. EVERYBODY was wearing winter coats and stocking hats.
One of my good friends grew up in Erie, PA. It gets pretty cold and an absurd amount of lake effect snow there. After college he and his wife moved to Maryland for work where I met him. After a couple years they left and moved to Tampa. We visit him every February that we can.

2 years ago we were down there wearing our shorts and t-shirts. It was chilly one night (mid 50's maybe) when we visited him, so my wife and I were wearing sweatshirts. At the end of the night he was walking with us back to the car and SHIVERING. He told me he was freezing and had to go back inside... mid 50's. Its all about perspective!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Its all about perspective!

That is true. When you live in the cold you get used to it just as you would get used to the heat when you live in it. To me 90 is comfortable because I am used to it, but to some people that are used to the cold that might be too hot.

That is just like one of our last trips to Moab. The wife, and few friends, and I decided to do a two day rafting trip before our off road event we were up there for. Just about everyone in the group were from up North and were dying in the 100 heat. We had to pull up the raft and sleep on the river bank that night. It got down into the 40s that and we were the ones freezing our tails off while the northerners were comfortable. I remember the following day at the end of the trip. We were all on the shore with the rafts and kayaks waiting for the trucks to come pick us up. It was 100 degrees out and my wife, friends, the guides, and I were all standing in the direct sunlight not even breaking a sweat. It was actually quite comfortable because it was a dry heat rather than the humid heat that we get down here. I looked around for everyone else and they were all huddled under a small tree to get shade drenched in sweat.

Everyone eventually gets acclimated to their environment just like I got used to the cold when I lived in Indiana and Colorado. Now, I have gone back to being used to the heat. Although the one thing I don't miss in the cold climates is having to get up earlier for work to shovel snow. That sh*t is for the birds.

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's what 4wd is for. Even if I worked early, it wouldn't affect me. I have a snow blower that I rarely use. And we get hit pretty good sometimes. I am just east of buffalo and west of Syracuse. That's 2 cities that take a major pounding and depending on which way the wind blows.......
I feel sorry for the guys I work with that go in at 6am and don't have a truck or have a family to worry about . But, if you anticipate, have 4wd and don't have to worry about anyone else getting out of the driveway, you pretty much can get by without shoveling these days if you want to. Of course we don't get it like we did when I was younger.

Although the one thing I don't miss in the cold climates is having to get up earlier for work to shovel snow. That sh*t is for the birds.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That's what 4wd is for. Even if I worked early, it wouldn't affect me. I have a snow blower that I rarely use.

I had a 4wd Ram 2500 back then and the wife had a 4wd diesel Touareg, and I still had to shovel snow along with clearing the windshield of ice. My morning routine was shovel, shovel, shovel to get to the vehicle. Get in and start the engine of both vehicles. De-ice the windshields of both vehicles. Then snow blow the driveway if needed. Then go back inside to get ready. This was all before remote start was as available as it is now. Now it is get in, start the truck, wait about 15-30 seconds, and go no matter what time of year it is.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I had a 4wd Ram 2500 back then and the wife had a 4wd diesel Touareg, and I still had to shovel snow along with clearing the windshield of ice. My morning routine was shovel, shovel, shovel to get to the vehicle. Get in and start the engine of both vehicles. De-ice the windshields of both vehicles. Then snow blow the driveway if needed. Then go back inside to get ready. This was all before remote start was as available as it is now. Now it is get in, start the truck, wait about 15-30 seconds, and go no matter what time of year it is.

I hear ya. Used to myself.
Now, walk to garage, start truck or car and leave.
Snowblower when I get home if I feel like it. Maybe it melted, maybe melt tomorrow. If not, maybe plow it, or blow it.

Got the Ariens Snowblower rebuilt, new engine and everything else gone over.
Got the plow on the lawn tractor, mower removed.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's called Texas haas. Learn your history, we kicked Mexico's ass our of here in 1836 all by ourselves so calling it "Texico" just shows ignorance. Oh wait that's right, you are just saying that to e a douche.

We also don't sweet in 80F. Maybe in 90F and above, but 80F is still pretty cool here.

Also, my screen is dirty because I have been going down dirt roads hauling cattle and hay around. Getting dirty is what happens when you work, but I would expect a city boy to understand that.

are you sure Mexico lost, keep in mind the ***'s lost WW2 but now we have to deal with all of their imports, Mexico also imports to the USA just illegal imports mind you. I have yet to see an illegal this far north, I am guessing they do not like snow:favorites13:

danam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 4WD SLT Quad Cab
Engine
4.7l
It's called Texas haas. Learn your history, we kicked Mexico's ass our of here in 1836 all by ourselves so calling it "Texico" just shows ignorance. Oh wait that's right, you are just saying that to e a douche.

We also don't sweet in 80F. Maybe in 90F and above, but 80F is still pretty cool here.

Also, my screen is dirty because I have been going down dirt roads hauling cattle and hay around. Getting dirty is what happens when you work, but I would expect a city boy to understand that.

Good job on the butt kicking back in 1836 so does that make you one and 0 or are you one and one after all you guys down there did force Mark Brown to retire and the rest of the world was like what the heck is TX thinking. Maybe that heat was getting to everybody and you blamed Mark Brown

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
are you sure Mexico lost, keep in mind the ***'s lost WW2 but now we have to deal with all of their imports, Mexico also imports to the USA just illegal imports mind you. I have yet to see an illegal this far north, I am guessing they do not like snow:favorites13:

Check all the stuff you have. I bet a lot of it is imported from more places than just Japan and Mexico. We never had a war with China yet most of the stuff comes from there. So what does that mean?

Although there are illegals up north. Check out your major cities like New York and Chicago. They mainly migrate to the major cities down here as well. The last time I checked, out of the six most illegal migrant populated states, three were northern states being Illinois, New York, and New Jersey.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Good job on the butt kicking back in 1836 so does that make you one and 0 or are you one and one after all you guys down there did force Mark Brown to retire and the rest of the world was like what the heck is TX thinking. Maybe that heat was getting to everybody and you blamed Mark Brown

Do you mean Mack Brown?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
yeah, stupid spell correct on my phone, changed Mack to Mark.

I'm not sure what they were thinking. I don't keep up with what happens in sports or anything else that requires me to sit in front of a TV longer than 30 minutes so I would not be the best person to answer that. Although if I were to go for Texas college team it would be Texas A&M. The people there are more my kind of people and not as snooty or "liberal" like those in Austin.

Last edited:

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Winter prep for me.....

Truck has been rust checked
New Weathertech mats are installed
First oil change, grease drive shaft & rotate tires
Just received my factory flares, mud flaps & tow hooks....just need to install them
I want to put a fresh coat of wax on before it gets too wintery, or I might wait for the spring instead
And I would like to install some additional light for night driving & snow, but not very high on my list right now

Now I need to get my sled in the garage, pull the skid, replace some bearings and freshin up the shocks!