Would you???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I am about to pull trigger on new tires, ones I just got suck and cannot get them balanced right. Friend of mine can get me 35x12.5x18 General Grabber AT's for a decent price, however they are only load range D. I have a 2500, but do not pull anything and only have a large load 1 ton+ 1 or 2 times per year. The 33x12.5's have a load range of E, and they both say the same weight rating (2910 lbs per tire), but at different psi (50 for 35", 65 for 33").. Would I be good. I would imaging with less ply's (8 vs 10) then the ride would be much better... TIA

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Nope! You think those tires you have now suck, put D range tires on them that are SOFT like those Generals and you'll hate them even more.

With the 2500 solid axle trucks, stick to top named tire manufactures and the correct load rating. You'll want a 121 on your truck.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Nope! You think those tires you have now suck, put D range tires on them that are SOFT like those Generals and you'll hate them even more.

With the 2500 solid axle trucks, stick to top named tire manufactures and the correct load rating. You'll want a 121 on your truck.

That is why I like this site. Going with BFG AT KO 2 in 35x12.5.... Hope to have them on by end of week...

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
power wagon's come stock with d rated tires. i have no issues with mine. i've seen cummins guys who dont tow much run d-rated tires as well for the better ride. cant comment on the general tires though. ive never used them.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
PW's come with softer springs in the rear I believe, and i have the OEM air.. I don't want to risk the D rated tires being a crappy ride.. Don't want to waste any more money...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is why I like this site. Going with BFG AT KO 2 in 35x12.5.... Hope to have them on by end of week...

Love those tires!!!! Congrats.

hammer40

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have 35" BFG's, that replaced the D rated tires on my PW. Never had an issue with the D rated tires but like the ride better with the BFG's.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are going to be towing a long travel trailer or 5th wheel no you don't want load range D. However if you only drive it empty and just use the payload of the truck those tires are fine. I have D tires on my 2500 and had around 3800 pound in it one time and 3200 a handful of other times and it never once felt unstable.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
good luck with the bfg's - mine wont last slightly over 15k on my 2500....

loved their snow traction, the wear is the worst of any tire i have ever owned.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
good luck with the bfg's - mine wont last slightly over 15k on my 2500....

loved their snow traction, the wear is the worst of any tire i have ever owned.

what kind of driving do you do, how about towing, hauling, and air pressure.. I really do not mind if they only last 15K, that would be over a year for me, and if I get another car to drive, truck will be only doing half the driving I normally do...

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
my driving is normal. trouble is, i live at 9300 feet and work at 5000 feet. thats a lot of hills, up and down and such. and curves.

in my opinion, the bfgk02 is a great tire, just not meant for the weight of a 2500...

the day i bought the truck, the firestones were sold. i got stuck in 1/4 inch of snow. a few weeks later, i made it home in almost 30 inches of powder. the tires were like velcro.

i haul construction materials, and keep the air just above the silly tpms....

cheers comrade!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
BFGs are good for 1500 really. I never liked them. They actually have been known to cause death wobble in the early 3rd gen truck and early 4th gens.

I have had this with 3 trucks. No wonder those trucks where traded in. First thing I did was change out the BFGs and death wobble went away. Never had it again with any of those trucks, even leveled.

You can read more about that here:

Strapt Performance: Carli Suspension - The "Death" of Death Wobble

One manufacturer we recommend avoiding is BF-Goodrich. Their AT/KO all terrain tires and KM2 Mud terrains have been known to cause death wobble in the heavy-duty Ram Trucks. They’re a great tire but seem better suited to the light truck and independent front suspension application. Although they come in a 10-Ply, E-Rated tire, we find their sidewall strength doesn’t pair well with the demands of the heavy duty Dodge and Ford trucks and, as mentioned above, sidewall strength is equally as important to consider as tread construction when selecting tires for your 8,000lb. vehicle.

The Cummins motors are so much heavier and can cause issues the Hemi guys will never see. Including faster tire wear.

I got 20K out of my Nittos. :(

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
07megacabram

the link you provided is good info - thanks.

i ordered toyos couple days ago from amazon

they also came highly recommended by a buddy with a snow plow company with 40 vehicles....

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
this is good info.. after hearing what people are saying with their experiences, thinking now of either the Toyos or the Cooper STT Pro. I have had good luck with Coopers in the past.

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Toyo's ordered, should be here next week.. 35x12.5x18 A/T II's.....

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
ocwill1

comrade - i got my toyos yesterday - same as yours but factory size.

have less that 1/8 tread left on fronts of bfg.

will drive them for a little while longer.....then switch.

because im cheap.

laughing.

cheers comrade!

OP
OP
ocwill1

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
ocwill1

comrade - i got my toyos yesterday - same as yours but factory size.

have less that 1/8 tread left on fronts of bfg.

will drive them for a little while longer.....then switch.

because im cheap.

laughing.

cheers comrade!

Unfortunately, I wasted money on the current tires. Amp Terrain Grippers. Look good, see them on different tire sites. Buddy of mine had them on his Silverado 1500. Said they were nice. Did not work out for me. They are fine under 60 and over 70, however you get in that 60-70 range and it feels like driving on a washboard road. Toyo's get rave reviews on here so I am hoping. Only had these things for 3-4 months. Will sell them off to a used tire place. DOn't even want to mess with craigs list on these....

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
power wagon's come stock with d rated tires. i have no issues with mine. i've seen cummins guys who dont tow much run d-rated tires as well for the better ride. cant comment on the general tires though. ive never used them.

no offence,but power wagons are barely out of 1500 range when it comes to payload.they don't need 10 ply e rated or 121q tires.my grabber at2's are 10 ply 121q e rated.they do make different tires for different applications ya know.i love reading these tire threads,all the same "but.they looked great when i bought them,who knew the sucked so bad??" why don't my mt's drive good in the rain???,and why do they wear out so fast??all i do is drive to the grocery store!!???and if you go into a tire shop and the salesman says"yeah,that's a great looking tire" smack him hard and get the **** out of that store.i actually had a knob say that to me last week.i didn't smack him but i did walk out.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
no offence,but power wagons are barely out of 1500 range when it comes to payload.they don't need 10 ply e rated or 121q tires.my grabber at2's are 10 ply 121q e rated.they do make different tires for different applications ya know.i love reading these tire threads,all the same "but.they looked great when i bought them,who knew the sucked so bad??" why don't my mt's drive good in the rain???,and why do they wear out so fast??all i do is drive to the grocery store!!???and if you go into a tire shop and the salesman says"yeah,that's a great looking tire" smack him hard and get the **** out of that store.i actually had a knob say that to me last week.i didn't smack him but i did walk out.
You are correct, but considering I overloaded my 2500 by 500 pounds or so on load range d tires and had no issues with sway or having the tires look like they were flat I wouldn't short change load range d tires. Are e's better on HD's yes but not always required.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk