XRancho 9000xl shocks installed....nice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just finished installing a set of four rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on my 2016 2500 4x4. The rough ride was a real issue for me at age 70, so I needed to do something short of trading for a 1500....

The fronts were pretty easy except for the top shock nut. It's pretty tight getting a wrench on that top nut, and without a ratcheting box end wrench it would be tough to get off. Also, with only 8500 miles on the truck that is always garaged, the shock shaft didn't spin and the nut came right off....nice working on a clean new truck.

The backs were a different story. The bottom bolt was a snap....the top is a pain. The upper stud and top half of the shock goes through the frame, and after 40 minutes, I decided the only was to even get to that top nut was to remove the wheel well liner....not hard, just a pita....

Again, the top nut came right off, but if it was rusted, I'm not sure how to get it off....really tight. Tightening the top nut was a pain...I had to hold the shock shaft with an 8 mm open end wrench while tightening the top lock nut....

Anyway, it's all done and back together...took about three hours, but I'm old and getting up and down for tools takes longer than it used to...haha

Took it for about a quick four mile test run on a state road....what a big difference. The small jarring jabs to the spine are about gone, but the ride is still firm, but better. I set the front shocks on the third adjustment and the rear on the second.

I'm pretty happy for now but it is pouring, so I'll do a longer run tomorrow and do a follow up post.

I bought them on Amazon.com, for $380, and got a $100 mail in rebate. We will see if it's truly worth it.....

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
zogg - thanks for the write up...good info.
there is a car radio show in denver on saturdays.
over the past few weeks the hosts have recommended those shocks over everything else.
i have the same truck as you, and live in a remote area with washboard roads.
the county is in no hurry to fix and im considering those shocks too. (recent back surgery )

cheers comrade!

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Been looking at trying to get rid of some of the rigorous bouncing myself because i came from a 1/2 ton gmc sierra that rode like a cadillac. I love my truck and bought it for what it is capable of but just want to ease up the ride a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Glad to hear these work well on the 4th Gens. I ran them exclusively on my 95 and they were fantastic. I'll be buying them when I get ready to replace shocks. Thanks for the review.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick Follow-up....

This morning I drove from Southern Illinois into downtown St Louis, Mo, and back.

The more I drove, the more I was glad I installed the new Ranchos....they seem to all but eliminate the small harsh bumps and soften the big ones. There is still some jarring and stiffness, as it is still a 3/4 ton truck. But, in my opinion, it is a much better ride.

If I had it to do again, I would not hesitate.....thanks, Rancho

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Glad to hear your shocks work well. As stated before reduced tire pressures will help the ride also. It is a 3/4 ton truck though.