4th gen Cummins- what to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mxjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, I'm looking into potentially upgrading from my 2010 1500 sport to a 4th gen Cummins (quad or mega cab). Is there anything drastically different between the years of the 4th gens? Anything to look out for? I plan on buying used, hopefully 60k miles and under. Looking for a Laramie or similar trim level. To be honest, I don't have much experience with diesels and am currently just doing my preliminary investigative work before I start making any moves.

Thanks for the help!

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Biggest change was the addition of DEF in 2013+.

Moving from 3rd Gen's to 4th they added another filter in the fuel line. There is now a Fuel/Water separator under the bed of the truck next to the fuel tank. The standard paper filter is still in the engine bay.

One thing I wish I would have put more thought into was idle/drive hours. They're in the EVIC under the vehicle information. This can help you gauge what the truck may have been used for. I had some high idle hours so I am thinking I should go in and see how dirty the heater grid is.

Get underneath and look for signs of exhaust component removal. Also look for EGR/intake disturbance. I wouldn't want a truck that was programmed and then "brought back to stock" to sell/trade.