97Ram's Alaskan Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

907Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
907Ram's Alaskan Ram

I figured it was time to start a build thread on my truck, as the mods are starting to add up.

To Kick things off I live in Fairbanks Alaska, and I use my truck as a truck for hauling anything I'm willing to hook up to it and I'm not afraid to get her dirty in the mud or while hunting, but I also like to have a good show down at the red light every now and then. In my eyes, its a truck, and there's nothing it cant handle and if she breaks down...well lets put something cool in it to keep that from happening again lol.

My truck it a 2009 Crew Cab 1500 Laramie Sport (at least what the dealer said). I bought her used and bone stock.

I started off with window Tint, went 35% on the front two windows (AK Law), and 20% everywhere else, including eye brow. After that it was exhaust, cut it apart went straight pipe true dual. Was cool for about 2 days. Way to poppy and loud. Switched to Flowmaster 44. much better. Next I put on some TTC-1223 coils to keep it from sagging too much. best upgrade ever.

In AK its dark a lot so I built myself a custom head-ache rack and installed a 52" LED light bar. Works wonders on road trips. I do a lot of hunting and where I go there's no cell service (on the Haul Road, I.E. Dalton HWY), but lots of semi's, so I installed a CB radio to communicate with truckers and road updates. Works pretty good. Installed the 5100's set them at 2.1 and put on some new shoes, 285/65/20 Wrangler MT/R's load range E. Super heavy tire, but haven't gotten stuck yet lol. also installed a trinity T-1000.

Picked up a CAI, and added it. littler better throttle response.

My latest is the new engine. Put in a new Mopar 5.7, this is being done under warranty. Its been 7 weeks since I took my truck to the dealer, and I finally got to hear her run last night. Since the engine was under warrantly, and I have many connections over there, I saw this as an great moment to throw a Cam in it. So I said why not? lol. Added the Comp 270 phaser cam, non-MDS lifters, 6.4 valve springs, phase limiter, AEM wideband O2 sensor, and I am tuning through Josh at High Horse Performance, Awesome to work with by the way. Tuning is still a work in progress, but she runs again. ill update the thread as more tuning is done to it, and more mods.

Ill Post a few pictures up for you all. Thanks for looking

simonlpearce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Oh man i wish i could afford this...

b1.jpg
b1.jpg

b.jpg

OP
OP

907Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it weren't for warranty, I would have had to wait a while to get the new engine, but luckily, they covered the long block, the rest was all out my pocket.

As for an update on progress, the new engine is installed and running. I couldn't be more happy to finally have my truck back. Just got it last Thursday back to my place. I took It to the dealer on June 12, so it was a long awaited return.

So far every thing seems to be running just fine, well as fine as it can be. With the new comp 270 Cam, non-mds lifters, 6.4 valve springs, and phase limiter, AEM wide-band O2. Oh, and the tuning...so far I'm only my second revised tune. She starts, and drives, but as soon as you let off the gas while driving for lights or turns, she will die. High Horse Performance has been great to work with. Josh actually worked on my tune while on vacation so I could get the truck out of the dealers,and I appreciate how quickly he got with me. But the tuning road will continue until we can get her dialed in. No Dyno numbers as I believe there is only one dyno in AK,many not in Fairbanks,mouth the ol' butt dyno likes the results so far and I'm sure it will get better as tuning progresses.

While it was at the dealer, had a new battery put in, new starter, radiator, 180 stat, new A/C lines, new alternator, and new dip stick I tube (they broke the old one), and new idler pully (also broken at the dealer). I took the grill off and dipped it, I want a painted grill, but this was quick and easy to get rid of the chrome. The grill inserts are actually grey with the surrounding black. I also dipped the badges for a quick fix as well. New black ones will be ordered. Rims will be dipped soon. I picked up a set of 4 OEM wheels with stock size duratracs on them. I'll put those on when the trucks tuned in and burn some rubber with those. It will also allow me to have a black set of wheels and he OEM clads.

I will keep updating as more mods and tuning progresses!

image_zpsagc9xj0z.jpg
image_zpsbpoxfw6a.jpg
image_zpscemlxpae.jpg

OP
OP

907Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just checking in to give an update on progress.

We finally have the truck tuned to where I can drive it daily and behave in the street. We were scratching our heads for a long time to try to figure out why the truck kept dying when letting off the gas going down the road. It would idle great, and drive great as long as you had your foot on the gas, but as soon as you let out it would just die. That's all figured out now and I'm currently driving her everyday. Now just some WOT and fine tuning and she should be all set!

OP
OP

907Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its been awhile since i updated my build thread, so i figure now would be a time as any.

Truck is running wonderful with the cam and tuning. I'm really liking the setup, and some of the guys at the dealer who have driven it really like it too.

Since then i have also added a few things, Ill post pics later, but i added a Moes 87mm TB (thanks Matt). part was super easy to install and the truck seems to be a little "crisper" when accelerating now.

I also did the LED pod Fog light, and headlight bulb switch over, when its dark here for so long, I'm really digging the extra light they put out. I just have to adjust them a little farther down i think, I've gotten flashed a couple times.

Had a Euro Style offset rally stripe put on as well. The truck is dark grey with blacked out badges and rims, so i had the stripe done in matte black. Gives it a little touch.

The latest mod that is currently in progress is changing gears. Took the truck in for an oil change, they checked the diff fluid and the front looked like silver paint...dont know how or what, but the ring and pinion were all chattered up. Possible bearing failure that allowed too much movement. The back diff was milky like it had water in it, but i haven't driven the truck in deep enough water to even touch the diff. but it also had some metal in the bottom of it. So, all in all talking with the tech, he recommended new ring and pinion in the front. For fear of getting called out on warranty (Since they replaced the engine in the summer, and new cluster last week) i decided to pay for this one out of pocket and swap the ole 3.55's to 4.10's. Being a 4x4 it does cost quite a bit to swap, but all in all, its costing me about $700 in parts and $500 in labor all said and done. I can't complain one bit on that price. So when i get back to town on Monday, the truck should be done and a lot more fun to drive?:naughty:

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Badass man. I actually really like the stripe.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
A lot of people, including my fiance, question whether something is going to look good on my truck. My answer is always the same, just wait and see before you judge. Lol

OP
OP

907Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another update and mod completed in the Ram. So in short, I took my truck in for its second oil change on the new motor, checked the diff fluid, and found metal in both diffs. Not a mod I planned on anytime soon, but if they needed rebuilt, there's no better time. So I re-geared from 3.55 to 4.10. I worked a deal with a couple techs at the dealership and they agreed to swap everything out for $500, I buy all the parts needed. Not a bad deal. I was trying to keep the cost down being that it's 4wd, and wasn't going to buy an LSD carrier. Well that didn't work out, we took the rear apart first and found the carrier pin to be chewed up pretty bad...so off I went and bought an LSD carrier. All parts cost me about $1200. And then plus labor puts me at $1700. I cannot complain one bit about that price. We jus my finished the truck yesterday and I have only driven about 50 miles since, so stay tuned for a review!

Here are the only two pictures I took, wish I took more, but that's how it worked out.

image_zpsxfrvzkdf.jpg

image_zpsyfa4dmzl.jpg