Andrews 14 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, back into a Ram! After selling my 09 QCSB 1500 4x4, I found myself in an 05 Jeep LJ Rubicon. Had some fun with that, lifted it on a custom 4" short arm kit, custom valved Fox's 37x1350 Cooper STT Pros, 5.38s and the list goes on.

20160414_133642_zpskuwsd3ft.jpg

Drove that around for 1.5 yrs then sold that to get an 06 BMW M3 Competition Package in Interlagos Blue on Black leather, 6spd slicktop(no sunroof highly desirable).

132346B5-6C0A-4C3D-9500-B2EED916F834_zpsmgtwdwsk.jpg

That was a blast to drive and was fun for the 6 short months I had it. Truth was, while the M3 was my dream car, realistic dream car, I just never felt comfortable being in a small car. So I sold that and was deciding between trucks. Toyota Tundra 1794 or a Ram 2500 6.4 Black Appearance Group with the 8.4 screen 4x4. After driving the Tundra, it was a fantastic truck, comfortable and very nicely equipped but it didnt have that truck feel to it. Almost to soft. So I went and test drove a 2500 6.4 and knew it was it. When I had the 1500, I was never happy with the size, even after a ProComp level, 1.5" blocks in the rear and 35s. A 1500 was out of the question this time for that point. I have no need for a 2500 as I dont tow or haul but I also didnt want to drop 35-40K on a truck to turn around and spend 3-5k on lift, wheels, tires and gears. My search started and I found 3 that fit my desired options from east of the Rockies. I narrowed it down to two and ended up with this 2014 that had 18k miles in Columbia, SC, only an hour and half away.

819D936C-3946-43F3-B4B1-6032FB56BB9E_zpsxjytrkmf.jpg

DF8FE294-CB23-412C-888A-B0B33661A950_zpszad6fd5j.jpg

C45F6B62-1871-4B1E-91EE-061AA0CD295E_zpsvcm1tiud.jpg

81770CC3-FD1D-4FFE-BABB-BAD8198E2A20_zpsspixovx4.jpg

2014 6.4 Hemi Big Horn 3.73 4x4 18k miles, 8.4 touchscreen and overall in great shape. Even better its a CPO so I get some added benefits for that piece of mind. I love that truck, its comfortable, big, considerable amount of power and clean. So far Ive done Retro HID drop in's, Flowmaster 50HD waiting to be installed, Diablo Trinity tuned, and LED fogs on the way. I also picked up a clean set of heated Big Horn cloth seats and switches so I can add heated seats to it. As you can see from the tires Ill be needing to address them soon which is fine cause these SUCK! Im looking at 35x12.50 20 Toyo RTs or 295/65/20 Ridge Grapplers. I really dont want to level if I dont have to but with these sizes I probably will have to. Ill be considering the Thuren leveling coils, then Fox shocks all around. Bout to stretch her legs a bit this weekend, taking her up to Pittsburgh for the STEELERS playoff game so it'll be nice to get a good feel for it. Thats it for now, :favorites13:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow, that is one sweet looking truck,. it look clean Congrats.

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you, figured I'd start a thread. I'll be doing paint correction and sealant soon so I thought people might be interested in that process. I'll be documenting that. Also didn't want to clog up the 6.4 thread with constant updates

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you, figured I'd start a thread. I'll be doing paint correction and sealant soon so I thought people might be interested in that process. I'll be documenting that. Also didn't want to clog up the 6.4 thread with constant updates
What DA polisher will you be using?
Will you be performing a cutting process?
Do you have a brand you like?
What type of pads?
What brand for the sealant?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Real nice truck!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What DA polisher will you be using?
Will you be performing a cutting process?
Do you have a brand you like?
What type of pads?
What brand for the sealant?

I'll be going old school with a dewalt high speed buffer. No cutting process will be necessary with the paint, just a good clay block to remove any contaminants and then I'll be trying Chemical Guys all in one. With the paint only being a few years old it just has lots of swirls, no big scratches or anything. If the all in one doesn't work to my liking I'll use their VSS. Then I'll be topping it with their Jet Seal and finally their Butter Wax. This will be my first go around with Chemical Guys products at this stage but I've been really impressed with everything thus far. I was considering doing a Cquartz type sealant but with those type of sealants there is no waxing or anything really you can do after and I enjoy doing that. If I don't get the results I like I'll consider doing that but I'm more experimenting at this time with the black paint it shows a lot and a good time to learn new processes, chemicals and share with others. The pads I'm unsure on as of now, I need to do some research into which ones will work the best without too much cutting.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll be going old school with a dewalt high speed buffer. No cutting process will be necessary with the paint, just a good clay block to remove any contaminants and then I'll be trying Chemical Guys all in one. With the paint only being a few years old it just has lots of swirls, no big scratches or anything. If the all in one doesn't work to my liking I'll use their VSS. Then I'll be topping it with their Jet Seal and finally their Butter Wax. This will be my first go around with Chemical Guys products at this stage but I've been really impressed with everything thus far. I was considering doing a Cquartz type sealant but with those type of sealants there is no waxing or anything really you can do after and I enjoy doing that. If I don't get the results I like I'll consider doing that but I'm more experimenting at this time with the black paint it shows a lot and a good time to learn new processes, chemicals and share with others. The pads I'm unsure on as of now, I need to do some research into which ones will work the best without too much cutting.
I recommend you do some research at Autogeek or Autopia or Detailed Image. Three very easy sites to navigate. Mike Phillips of Autogeek has 20 plus years of experience and he worked for Meguiars prior to joining the PBMG or Palm Beach Motoring Group. I have CG foam 6 in pads. However, I have experienced better performance and longevity from Lake Country foam pads. As for brands Meguiars, Sonax, Pinnacle, Mckee's, Adams, are the brands I use. I do have the CG butter wet wax and other products from CG.

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recommend you do some research at Autogeek or Autopia or Detailed Image. Three very easy sites to navigate. Mike Phillips of Autogeek has 20 plus years of experience and he worked for Meguiars prior to joining the PBMG or Palm Beach Motoring Group. I have CG foam 6 in pads. However, I have experienced better performance and longevity from Lake Country foam pads. As for brands Meguiars, Sonax, Pinnacle, Mckee's, Adams, are the brands I use. I do have the CG butter wet wax and other products from CG.

Thanks for the recommendations! The main I want to research is what people have used with all in one from CG and what results they got. Normally I would try a few different pads to see what results I get but with the truck being this big I don't want to be doing panels multiple times hahahaha
Sonax is amazing wheel cleaner! I used to just buy off the shelf chemicals cause to be honest they did the job and I didn't feel like spending the money on high end stuff. But CG was highly recommended and I gave them a shot and have been extremely impressed thus far for what you got for your dollar. I've also used Griots but feel they are pricy and on par with Adams and CG. What pad do you prefer for this task? As I mentioned I'm not looking to cut to much just enough to remove swirls there are no scratches to remove and the paint for the most part is smooth. Just need to add depth and remove swirls.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try a white pad with your swirl remover. If no improvement try a orange pad. If those do not remove swirls, you may need to try a compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Autogeek and Autopia have their own forums. Lots of knowledge and opinions from weekend detailers to professional. I am willing to give you help if you choose.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Try a white pad with your swirl remover. If no improvement try a orange pad. If those do not remove swirls, you may need to try a compound like Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Autogeek and Autopia have their own forums. Lots of knowledge and opinions from weekend detailers to professional. I am willing to give you help if you choose.

I was leaning towards the white pad, there's no marring or anything just looks like it wasn't washed correctly which most trucks aren't cause well they're trucks. Since I detailed from 11-21 yrs old, a lot has changed and lots of new technology is available which is why I want to tackle this. I also did body shop prep and finish so I have experience with this type of work, the sealant part is new to me. Still really curious on the sealant like cquartz. But the local retailers said it's really pointless to wax over it and if I enjoy doing that a sealant really is overkill as the wax will just run off in a couple weeks unless I use a specific brand of wax I don't recall the name they mentioned

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Detailing for is fun and I like to experiment. Take the experience you have and build on that knowledge. Have enough mf towels to complete your truck along with applicators. So you like CG, use them well and often. I have no experience with coatings, only sealants waxes, polishes, compounds. Detailing should be your therapy not the reason for therapy

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree with that last statement! I love detailing and it's instant gratification. I have probably 50+ microfibers just need to grab some applicator pads.

As far as CG goes, I'm impressed with the results for the money spent. I've used better chemicals that give better results but to spend that type of money on products on an everyday vehicle is a waste in my opinion. Especially if you take car of it like I do. I'll be sure to post up results and everything used. Looking forward to breaking out the dewalt and my GEM orbital buffer! That orbital weighs like 16lbs but saves your arms cause you don't need pressure. Can be a task on the sides but it'll keep me young hahaha I feel my 31 yrs quickly these days

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For my DA's, I have a PC 7427XP, MT300, GG6IN AND 3IN and a Vector rotary. For pads, I use 3in, 5in and 6in. On the rotary with a 7in backing plate I use 8in foam and wool pads. Yesterday on my 04 Ram, I polished using Meguiars Mirror Bright polish with my MT300. I am looking forward to photos of what you achieve on your truck.

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Next time I stops raining I'll get it cleaned up and show pics of all the swirls. One thing I hate about black vehicles is they show every imperfection. I'm also looking forward to results with new products. Thanks for insight and recommendations!

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a recommendation for you. Check the sites I told you about and search for HD SPEED AIO. I have this product and the ability of this polish to refine is excellent. The price is good as well.

OP
OP
Andrew09HEMI

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hhhmmm thats got great reviews, more so than the AIO CG product... Also, my dewalt isnt working, I figured Id test it out. All Ive got is a harbor freight back up. I may look into the PC they have on autogeek....

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey if your HF DA is working I would stick with the HF. CHECK the brushes on your other da. There should be what looks like a cross tip cover near the motor. Should come off easily if your da has them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam