Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Photo Gallery Forum > Member Trucks

Member Trucks

Chris's 6.4 Hemi Stroker Truck

This is a discussion on Chris's 6.4 Hemi Stroker Truck within the Member Trucks forums, part of the Dodge Ram Photo Gallery Forum category!
Starting a thread showing the progress of my first truck. I bought it used for only 5k knowing I needed ...

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default Chris's 6.4 Hemi Stroker Truck
Starting a thread showing the progress of my first truck. I bought it used for only 5k knowing I needed to put in some work on it. I have a lot of mod plans for the truck as money is available and I'm enjoying working on it in my spare time.

Getting it off the lot, first thing done was taking off the completely rusted out exhaust and replacing it with a summit racing cat back
Debadged and removed the pin striping
New audio system
Cranked the torsion bars up for a 2" level
Removed the step bars

Rebuilt the heads due to a head gasket leak from the previous owners neglect. Got a valve job done and new pushrods

New front bumper, headlights, fog lights and light bar. I sanded down both bumpers and applied a spray on bed liner to them. I was really happy with the results

Plastidipped the grill
5% tint on the back window and 20% on the front windows
New bolt on flares
Future plans are adding shorty headers, CAI, a tuner, and rims and tires. One thing at a time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

chrisp2493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 4.7 Magnum V8
nice bro. you getting black rims?
sposer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by sposer17 View Post
nice bro. you getting black rims?

Hopefully next summer, that's the plan at least

Old 11-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: Hemi 5.7
I like the look of the Bedliner bumper! Thinking about doing the same on my truck

akennedyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by akennedyusmc View Post
I like the look of the Bedliner bumper! Thinking about doing the same on my truck

Thank you! I used Defender-Pro epoxy bedliner, it was a cheaper spray on alternative to Line-x and I was really happy with the results. It was very easy to spray after roughing up the bumper finish and so far it looks tough as nails.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well I am starting the long tube header project tonight. I got a set of the pacesetter headers.
I spent about 2 hours removing the factory paint with a torch and wire brush and then painted them with 3 coats of VHT Header paint. Tomorrow I'll start the removal of the manifolds and get the new ones in. Any tips or tricks from anyone with experience with this install would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well two more days of work and I finally got the headers all done. The install was fairly simple. The pacesetters fit right in no problem, I was frankly surprised how easily the fit up on the driver side.
I read somewhere on here that you had to grind off a mounting tab on the passenger side of the transmission. I did that, but I may have taken Alittle too much off
As far as I can tell, it's just the bell housing so there isn't any pressure or fluid inside there, so I just filled the gap in with silicone to keep out water and debris.
The next problem I ran into was my idea of trying to reuse the old y pipe. I tried to figure out how to fab my own new one, but I figured raw material would cost me over $150 and the pacesetter y pipe was only $230. So I made a run to summit racing again to pick up the y pipe and get pack to work. It fit very well and saved me a lot of time and hassle.
Well instead of getting new cats I decided to do a cat delete. I had to add a bung in the y pipe for the downstream o2 sensor since none was provided. I went with the non fouler trick, so instead of welding a threaded bung on, I just drilled a hole in the pipe and welded one of the non foulers in. I just screwed the other non fouler into that and called it good.
The next issue was the fuel and egr relief valve lines on the driver side. They were practically on top of the exhaust collector. I put the fuel line in the next slot up on the bracket on the frame. I found some heat shield wrap at AutoZone and covered the various lines in it. Then I took a piece of sheet metal and bent it over and around the pipe and shot a few screws into the frame to hold it. Hopefully that helps.

Lastly, since I didn't have cats on the driver side originally, (I'm assuming because I have the 4x4) I had to plug the o2 hole on the driver side header. I went to napa and they had a plug for it for $9.
It definitely changed the exhaust note, gave it just a touch of a chug to it. It sounds pretty good with my summit racing rat back. I haven't driven it much today yet, but it did seem Alittle snappier on the throttle. Can't wait to see if it's any better on the on ramps or not. I'm definitely happy to get rid of the exhaust leak on the driver side and the cracked header on the other side!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well after driving it for a few days, I've noticed a problem with major exhaust drone at 60-70 mph (1600-1900 rpms). I have a summit racing muffler on right now, will changing out the muffler to something else help? I've had my eye on the spintech pro street 9000 anyways, so maybe this is my excuse to get it

Old 11-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did the TMR delete today after reading up on it in forums. I've never heard of it before, but I tried it and was surprised at the outcome. WOT pulls feels so much more aggressive and the shift is way quicker. I guess that's the only perk of an 03 ram

Old 11-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 5.7
Awesome work your doing. Keep it up, love looking at the progress!
THETANK and destroyaYO like this.