The Dubstep Shep R/T Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Original post moved to post #4. Build details will be put here soon!

Been working on getting everything I've done on paper. Most of the numbers here are just what was listed for the price, not what I actually paid.
Truck%20Build%205-1-2015_zpsc0pidviz.jpg

I'm planning on putting this sheet into a word document so the hyperlinks actually work. That will also allow me to update it without having to make a new picture every time lol.

MORE DETAILS TO COME!

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very cool man! I'll be following this, and look forward to see what you do! The wheels look great, btw.

subscribed

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a fan of that hood at all, but I think the stock hook looks aggressive enough. But Nice trade on the SRT wheels. Not sure if I like those or the stock RT wheels more, both looked good on there. Congrats on the new truck though.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
THE FOLLOWING IS THE ORIGINAL POST.

Well, now that I'm starting to modify my R/T, it's probably a good time to start up a build thread.

I bought my truck on August 2nd, 2014, and immediately the cogs in my head started turning as to what I would do with this new toy.

Here are a couple pics of it right after I got it.
image_32_zps8b59822b.jpeg

image_22_zps532191b2.jpeg

image_12_zps10669dc5.jpeg

First and foremost this truck is my daily driver. The main reason I purchased it was so that I could begin building my Mustang into a full blown race car. That said, I want something with a little more power, comfort, and style than Ram offers. I also wanted a vehicle that I could tow my mustang to the track with.

To that end, I'm sticking to bolt-ons until I get the truck paid off. After that, screw it, boooooost hahaha.

Right now I have a gooseneck hitch ready to install and a spray in bedliner. I'll likely be picking up a tuner, intake, exhaust, and maybe a couple of other small goodies from Matt at Moe's Performance today. Hopefully I'll have everything installed this week. I also traded Unbroken my R/T wheels for his SRT-10 replicas.
20140918_181414_000_zpse10f5711.jpg

After that, I probably won't be doing much as I need to spend some time and money on my Mustang. Once I get done with it though, I'll likely be looking at an air suspension, full length headers, and maybe some subs. I may get a new hood as well. Be pretty cool to have this with a Vararam:
dr94ahsskfhw_dodge_ram_zpsd3a1fe92.jpg

dr94ahsskfhw_dodge_ram_04_zps5d06868d.jpg

If money were no object, I would take a few pages from Unbroken's book and do some custom work with the axle and suspension. I may still as I finally made a friend in a local shop, but we'll see. It would be pretty sweet to have a bagged, blown, daily driving towing monster with a dually bed and steamrollers on the rear, with a custom four link, watts link, and a blow through with some huge subs, but I'm gonna try and not get ahead of myself haha.

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck looks great. I love the R/T trucks. Any plans to lower it at all? I love that hood too. :favorites13:
What kind of Mustang do you have? I bought a 2013 Roush Stage 3 last year. Love it. My first Ford and first Mustang. What are your plans for the Mustang?

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looks aside I'm sure the added ram air will be nice, especially when I get around to doing forced induction.

We'll see how it pairs with an open grill and maybe a little body work. In my mind it looks every bit as mean and nasty as the SRT-10 does, but only time will tell.

I'm going to probably do a full air suspension on all four corners so that'll be similar to a Belltech drop.

I have a 2008 Bullitt that I boosted, blew the motor, put a new one in, and now I'm getting ready to put a 3.4L Whipple on and go full blown road race. Whenever I get around to building a third motor I'll probably be able to make 1400hp or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ended up getting a vararam, mufflex, Diablosport trinity, thermostat, and catch can from Moe's. I may install some of it tonight, but if not then this week sometime.

Again, can't say enough about how fantastic Matt is to deal with. He knows his stuff and is always helpful deciding what mods are best. A+++ experience.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lol never again will I attempt to install a tuner, intake, catch can, and muffler in four hours by myself. That was ROUGH.

Took the truck out for a spin and I have to say despite the ridiculous difference in size of the mufflers, the sound isn't all that different. Which for now is no big deal. I'll wait until I throw some long tube headers on before I pass judgement on this muffler.

uploadfromtaptalk1411445632105.jpg

I also have to say I'm a little dissapointed with the fit and finish of the Vararam. This is probably the inner **** retentive engineer speaking though.

Short of shutting the hood on it, there was no way to get it level as the AC lines were running underneath it. I also have no clue how it's going to get any air at all when the Sport grill closes at higher speeds.

I'm about a paycheck or two away from just saying screw it and buying that hood hahaha. We shall see. I can only guess that it will see a far better flow through that hood than the grill right now.

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn that's alot done in 4 hours! Time for a beer! :favorites13:

It does take a little messing around to get the VR done... And Matt at Moe's IS a class act!

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Damn that's alot done in 4 hours! Time for a beer! :favorites13:

It does take a little messing around to get the VR done... And Matt at Moe's IS a class act!
Yea I had an itch when I got home from work today to get some stuff done.

Honestly the worst part to install was the A-pillar mount for the Trinity. Trying to find that bolt hole took some serious patience.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is probably the inner **** retentive engineer speaking though.

This is why I am slow at modifying my cars. The smallest variance in clearances with fitment or clearance issues will bug the absolute crap out of me. lol

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So quick update here:

Finally got around to updating the trinity, so hopefully hemifever will have me a first tune sometime today.

I also managed to get my gooseneck hitch installed. Lemme tell you boys, that thing was near impossible to install lol. If I could go back I would pull the bed to do it, it was that bad. Took probably four hours between two guys that knew what they were doing lol.

In any case, I'm leaving my spare out for now. AAA for the win. I'm not a fan of changing a tire on the side of the road anyways; too dangerous for my taste.

Next on my list is probably gonna be DIY stuff like shaving off emblems. I'm also looking into putting my old sub and amp into the truck for a little more rumble.

So that pretty much wraps it up for right now.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Starting shaving my emblems off the other night, but ran out of floss lol. Gotta make a trip to the store today to get some and finish hahaha

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Man, it's been a bit since I've updated this thread.

Finished shaving my emblems off. Ordered towing mirrors, Wade floor mats, and air helper bags for the rear. Haven't installed any of those lol.

Just got done swapping headers and throttle bodies with unbroken so he can sell his ride to a cali guy, so now I have those. Haven't gotten a tune for it yet, but it sounds FANTASTIC. Thanks again unbroken, you're the man!!

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh also, I'm looking pretty heavily into an HD front end conversion. If you have any parts you want to sell, hood, grill, or bumper from a HD, I may be interested.

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, I bought some flat black plastidip and did one of the wheels. Loved the look but hated the quality so I peeled it off and threw the wheel back on. I've decided I'm going to go get the wheels powdercoated.

In the meantime I managed to get some curb rash on one of my wheels. That's literally the first time I've ever curb-rashed a wheel in any vehicle I've ever driven. I feel friggin ******** about it. Just wasn't paying attention, I was looking at my girlfriend as I was turning to pick her up. Ah well.

Looking for a one stop shop in Houston to repair the rash and powdercoat. I may be picking up a set of wheels and tires so the shop doesn't have to be a full service, though that would be nice.

BgHrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sharp truck! How do you like those headers with that Magnaflow?

OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Installed my air helper springs and towing mirrors today. The springs were a pain in the ass, but finally got them in. Pressured up to 35psi and no issues. I may tow a buddy to the track tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dubstep Shep

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I got my Peragon Tunneau cover today and installed it.

Quick review.

Well packaged. Zero damage when it arrived.

Materials appear to be high quality.

Instructions were EXTREMELY well written and easy to follow.

However, installation was still a *****. Reason was is there is far too much play in this cover. It's simply a design error. I'm not a fan at all of how this cover is put together or how it operates. The rails are far too flimsy and the mounts are even worse.

I think at some point I'm going to design and build some custom rails that are much stiffer and better mounted.

Until then, this will have to suffice.

Last edited: