EWC88's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been on this forum for awhile and finally decided to put a build thread together since I'm finally doing it! Truck is a 02 1500 with the 4.7 motor. When I first bought the truck it was sitting on 22's but after awhile of that I decided it was time to lift the baby!

When I first got her:
003-1.jpg

004.jpg

My first mods then was to get tinted LED rear lights and also a low pro tonneau cover:

120_zpsd7f8b78a.jpg
123_zpsca57113f.jpg

With lights on:

125_zpsd20ff1a9.jpg

Cover:
107_zps2ca619b7.jpg
108_zps9957a808.jpg

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I said before this truck was first sitting on 22's. I decided that I wanted to go to 20's, and I personally love the 05 stock clad 20" rims. So after looking forever I finally found a great deal on them through craigslist and had to get them. I picked them up, cleaned them as best as I could, put them on truck and this is what the outcome was after the truck got a quick wash:

image_zpspkp093du.jpg

image_zpsvafytfvd.jpg

I then wanted to get the rims powdercoated black, but instead of throwing out $500+ on that, I decided to jump on the plastidip wagon to first see if I liked the look, and the results...I LOVED the look lol. I have had so many compliments on them that the black and silver look is whats going to stay!

image_zpse6rcgqn1.jpg

image_zpsaoqhvrxy.jpg

image_zpsoabuspdf.jpg

Oh yea you can kind of see in the picture I did decide to do the emblems as well in black. As I said I love the look they have right now so I am keeping it like that.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then for some gifts from my girlfriend she purchased me a new set of headlights, and also tow mirrors! For another gift I also got the Maxtrac 4.5 spindle lift, and decided to go with FOX shocks. I have also purchased from a member on here some barely used tires of 35x12.50x20 of Cooper ST MAXX. Today I ordered new sway bar links and bushings as my one link snapped and the bushings need replacing, so they will be coming in next week. I also have 4:56 gears to get installed as well :)

All I need left for the lift is the rear lift block, which is where I am having difficulties! For my truck to sit on lifted level look it is either a 1.5" or 2" rear lift (the measurements from fron to back are whacky), so I am trying to figure which one to do. What would you guys recommend? I am hoping to get this order tonight or tomorrow so I can get it next week to do my lift the following weekend.

I will get pics of the headlights, shocks, spindles, and mirrors soon!

Future plans:
-New tint
-Audio
-Fix front seat or get all new seats
-LED light bars
-Install my HID's
-Get bed painted
-Paint Calipers
-Remove bed and sand/paint frame

Then we shall see from there!

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking good so far.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bushings and sway bar end links are coming in tomorrow, ROCKAUTO got it out even faster then I thought!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got in the end links and bushings, sadly have to ship back the end links to get new ones. The one end links boot that you can fill with grease was half the size of the other so I didn't like that and then the other one's bolt was bent horribly...hopefully I get new ones by Saturday as the plan is to have the lift done on Sunday.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Looking foward to seeing the lift on man. I installed mine Friday. You can see some pics on my thread.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I can't wait to get this lift on and then the tires, should change the look completely. Saw your lift and I love it, keep up the work man!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sway bar links should be here Friday, ordered the rear lift block which should be here by Friday as well. Also ordered new front wheel hub bearings just in case since mine are original at 120k miles, and I do not know how they will come off when I do this, so better safe to have them then not. Got them from advance auto of the MOOG brand, but got them for 1/2 the price :)

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Always a issue! Lift is being put on while I'm out to a wedding and my mechanic calls and says the front FOX shocks won't work. AutoAnything said they would yet they don't, plus they won't exchange them...

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well lift is installed, minus new front shocks. I have my originals still on front. I contacted corp of auto anything to see if they'll work a deal with me since they provided wrong info on what shocks to get. If they don't then I'll take business somewhere else and get new front shocks. But anyway here are the pics!!

image_zps57id7nor.jpg
image_zpshvreq27o.jpg
image_zpsnxf6tohw.jpg

Oh and yes I know headlights are badly fogged and mirrors need to be tow style, so sure lets fix that!

image_zpszulpvkio.jpg

image_zpssyvjvnci.jpg

And a picture from tonight
image_zpsdzobyspg.jpg

I absolutely love the lift! I need to re plastidip the rims back to black, that will happen the next two days I get off. Ride didn't really get too much rougher, I am sure when I get new front shocks it'll be a little softer but still it's lifted its not going drive like a Cadillac.

Next on list is:
Align headlights
Install the HIDs
LEDs interior and exterior
LED light bar
New seats
Radio system
Paint job
Train horns
Grille

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing new done to truck yet. Just greased all the ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar link. Other day gave her a much needed bath at work.

Today will be testing the alternator to see if that's the issue with the code I am getting. I kinda hope it is as its WAY cheaper then what the code says.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a lot of free time ahead of me, I am hoping I can paint the front bumper bottom black piece (no idea what it's called) mine has been looking like crap and I plastidipped it awhile ago which held up well, but eventually rocks destroyed it and I'd rather just have it be a permanent fix.

Question regarding it though, I will be scuffing it all up with scotchbrite pads, then will use a plastic primer then paint and clear. When it comes to paint brand does it matter? Should I get a specific plastic automotive paint or is something like Krylon plastic paint good? Far as clear, what would be a good kind to get? I have purchased the duplicolor clear in past and their spray tips blow so bad (atleast my experience) where it f'd up the jobs. So any pointers for that I appreciate to! I'm not looking for a gloss more of a satin, so pointers on that I appreciate as well.

DietDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I'm about to get the same maxtrac lift, do you have any recommendations for shocks? Or are you just gonna run stock for a while? Also did you have to trim anything to fit the 35s?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I fully forgot I made this thread! I will be updating it very shortly!

DietDodge: shocks I ended up going with were FOX 2.0 shocks. My stock shocks were completely blown so anything was a improvement, so far as me recommending it's hard. I went with FOX because I heard they are the best and yes I do like them. I have also heard members like the bilstein. I think what really won me over was the reputation of company and also they were silver and black which is the scheme of truck lol.

My 35's fit perfectly with 0 issues. Fills the wells real well, and like I said I have no issues which makes it even better.

You will have to post pictures of your lift when done!

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Any new updates with your build, or are you enjoying it as it is ? :)

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing yet, upcoming weeks she will be getting rocker panel replaced, and body work done to the bed, then off to paint.

Will then be doing the E-fan install: changing thermostat.

Then in near future is LED bars, LED interior lights, custom sub box, and rims.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well if you ever feel like sharing by meeting up, I can't be that far from yaa. :)