EWC88's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Nothing yet, upcoming weeks she will be getting rocker panel replaced, and body work done to the bed, then off to paint.

Will then be doing the E-fan install: changing thermostat.

Then in near future is LED bars, LED interior lights, custom sub box, and rims.

But what about the train horn? :naughty:

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did not forget train horns! I still want to do that, trying figure out what system to get, then I want to paint my frame first then install that. I plan for the frame to be painted during summer, just need to find help to remove bed frame.

I did notice if someone call help me, a wire, I'm assuming ground, from the bed to cab had been destroyed. It's a flat band wire. Could I replace it with a normal ground wire, if so what gauge?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Preparing truck for this weekend where the rocker panel will be getting cut out and new one welded in.

Brother in law is helping me with this as well as other body work. I have one rear fender that is showing couple bubbles that he said we can grind down and if small enough fill with weld. BUT I'm wondering if I should just get a panel for it because if it's rusted in there and is just filling the hole with weld isn't going to prevent it from coming back. In that case a paint job would be ruined fast then so it be a waste to do it that way, am I correct?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've always found that when I'm in doubt about a certain piece, it's just wiser to replace that part. Call it peace of mind, or me just being ****. :)

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I'm going just replace panel, I'll feel better at the end of the day doing that lol.

Drummin- thanks but dear lord YOUR truck is SICK

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been slacking with this thread, so UPDATE!

Truck has been for a month now been getting chopped apart and panels being replaced. So far rocker panel has been replaced, wheel arch a section was cut out and replaced, and now lower bed panel is being replace. Also I had big scratches that rusted on bed which was grinded down and filled. Work is being done by my brother in law so it's going a little slow. Hoping that will all be done by July of body and paint (paint it will be going to a shop)

I just received my 2010 center console/seat from derekp and that should be getting installed this week.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alrighty, let's hear it for another South Jeresy modder. :)

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bringing the thread back to life! I actually been trying to for awhile but for some reason my laptop hates photbucket, and then my desktop hates both ramforum and photbucket so its been a headache. But my girlfriends MAC loves all so I am posting today.

We got all the body work done, was a process because I had to keep ordering more panels then I thought but its all done now! All I need to do is get it painted.

Time for pics!

Before:
253_zpsg0occfej.jpg
254_zpsivcou6ae.jpg
257_zpsuwsglqsw.jpg

Fixing:
image_zpsmvgx8xkj.jpg
image_zpse5mfnjnz.jpg
image_zpsxockxchq.jpg
image_zpsgah13awy.jpg
image_zpsyyphb8l7.jpg
image_zpsqaexdasx.jpg
image_zps4l0ktj1l.jpg
image_zps4ojjoeyv.jpg
image_zpsfnnjwo1k.jpg

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Primer:
image_zpsbaxjcqfh.jpg
image_zps18xslfga.jpg
image_zpsztatv1bp.jpg

Prior of having my brother in law do the body work I went to three different auto body shops, 2 local ones and 1 being everywhere (MAACO). Prices from all them ranges from $1,000 - $1,500. Now it would have gone up because some parts we thought we could just sand and fixed turned into cutting and welding.

I went to MAACO the other day to get a new quote since I pass it coming home from work. Guy quoted me $560 using OEM base and clear. He suggested to not use MAACO paint and told me to not paint the whole truck (I was considering that). I liked that guy a lot because he was real honest with me. I then went to one of the other body shops I went to prior and they told me they wouldn't even paint my truck because they didn't do the body work so they can't paint it because they warranty the paint and since they didn't do body work they won't do it. Whatever their loss in cash not mine. So one more spot to get quote then its decision time. MAACO said 3 days and it'll be done, I'll have to find out from the next body shop.

I will also be ordering my ECM probably after paint is done because I can't keep taking risks on being pulled over with rejection sticker for months. While truck will be done I am thinking about painting the brake calipers. We shall see!

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coming along nicely! What color would you paint the calipers?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For my calipers I'm not 100%. I was possibly thinking doing silver since I will be doing my rims black again. I also thought about trying to be fancy and painting them black and then in silver have MOPAR or DODGE on them.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Planning on cleaning the TB this week and changing spark plugs since she isn't moving till ECM comes in. Going get new brakes, hoping just pads and paint to do calipers.

Anybody recommend any certain pads to use?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only got to do 1 can of brake cleaner, need to get more plus toothbrush to scrub the TB. For exterior of TB it's nasty, could I sand it?

Right off engine:

image_zpsaugdy3nv.jpg

image_zpsacdtxf47.jpg

After one can:

image_zpsunp9ykzc.jpg

image_zpsuckslseg.jpg

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
sanding the inside of TB is bad, outside doesn't matter.

& why are you not using TB cleaner?
Brake cleaner is not as good.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes meant sanding outside the TB. Did use TB cleaner because 1 I read to use brake cleaner it's better, and 2 I had it lol.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Order my new PCM so waiting on that. Also changed 6 plugs so far and holy ****. I will post pics later on how horrible the old ones were. I might go back and replace the o-rings on the coil pack. They were pretty dirty plus even the shaft? Of the coil pack was pretty black, I wiped if all off but want to make sure all is good.

Anyone recommend if I should put any type of grease on o-rings or the boot to the coil pack?

Next will be new brakes and painting calipers. Still on hunt for new interior..

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So finished changing all plugs. Everything went smoothly, back two were annoying but was able to handle it. Sad to say I think these are the original plugs, I'll be doing the change ever 30k for sure. Below is a picture of one of the spark plugs, 6 were this bad and 2 (the very back ones) were as bad but still low. Also a picture of the coil pack. Going be yanking it apart again to put new o-rings on them when they come in and grease.

PCM is suppose to be here by end of tomorrow then she'll be back up and running. Still need to do calipers paint job, change brakes, exhaust, hook up HIDs, paint job, audio, etc... Never ending

image_zpslzokhvhm.jpg

image_zpsbcmobdrj.jpg

I should of taken a pic but forgot but a lot of the coils had a lot of black crap on them, what could be causing this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn