EWC88's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
The reason the plugs might be original or very old, is due to the coil packs - they give a great spark & people don't think there is anything wrong so why change them.

The black crap might be from the heat & dirt from a long time.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah ok, learn something new everyday!

Well got word my PCM arrived FINALLY at my house today, I had to go to work so I didn't get the joy of seeing it and installing. So that should be installed tomorrow and I can finally drive her/ get her inspected!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed new PCM and no more CEL. Went to inspection to get the sticker so I am good to go!

Now time to do goodies! I want to do a intake but not sure if I should just do Airraid MIT tube with a better filter in stock sir box or a whole aftermarket system, any opinions?

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed new PCM and no more CEL. Went to inspection to get the sticker so I am good to go!

Now time to do goodies! I want to do a intake but not sure if I should just do Airraid MIT tube with a better filter in stock sir box or a whole aftermarket system, any opinions?

Go with the Vararam system, they have proven results just don't expect super charger performance form any CAI.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto

Go with the Vararam system, they have proven results just don't expect super charger performance form any CAI.

I have the Airraid & mine is installed different, but good stuff.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh I for sure don't expect supercharger performance. Vararam doesn't make any for my 4.7l, and I do not have skills in the custom fab work sadly...

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So little update, nothing major, superchips got shipped to them to fix since it didn't want to unlock for me so waiting on that. Went to two body shops to get quotes on the paint work, 1st shop said no can do because they warranty there work for the life of me owning truck and I did body work, other said they will and quoted me $1,260.67. That is to paint both sides of bed and the driver rocker panel.

So my choices are this body shop or Maaco cause they are the only two that would do the work.

I need to get exhaust done since mine is rusted out, looking at sticking with flowmaster probably but considering going to a 40 instead of what I have. I want it to exit out infront of the rear tire. Anyone want to school me on what I should get so it's a good flowing exhaust minus headers (not in budget currently)

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Planning on dropping truck off at shop to get painted hopefully next week, have to call to make appointment. While it's gone I think I'll take my front bottom trim under bumper (not sure what it's called) off and yank the plastidip off and just paint it black myself.

Want to order LED's for dash but not sure on color, either blue or cool white. Anyone want to post night and day pics of blue or cool white so I can see to decide?

Also been contemplating making my 4.5" lift to a 7" lift, I feel the 4.5 isn't high.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Planning on dropping truck off at shop to get painted hopefully next week, have to call to make appointment. While it's gone I think I'll take my front bottom trim under bumper (not sure what it's called) off and yank the plastidip off and just paint it black myself.

Want to order LED's for dash but not sure on color, either blue or cool white. Anyone want to post night and day pics of blue or cool white so I can see to decide?

Also been contemplating making my 4.5" lift to a 7" lift, I feel the 4.5 isn't high.

I never got around to going as much trim painting as I wanted to, but I did try out the Krylon Fusion black gloss paint and it worked great. I did for coats without sanding anything.

Just clean it real good and start spraying. I'd probably do a few coats of clear over it to help protect it too.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice thread man! I enjoyed the read. Can't wait to see more! Especially those train horns :naughty:

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Usaf2006 thanks for the comment, going be going out to get the paint today and take off the the chin spoiler so I can get going with it. Thursday I'm going to autobody to schedule the paint for bed/rocker panel.

Still not sure if I want to do blue LEDs in instrument cluster or cool white..

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So she was dropped off yesterday late afternoon at body shop. Got there and the same guy I kept talking to (who quoted me and scheduled this apt) quoted me wrong price. He only quoted for rocker panel and one side of bed, when it was both sides of bed. He said he would honor it because that was his fault, so that's awesome!

Next I need to do exhaust because mine is badly rusted...not sure which to go with though!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the truck back today, everything looks good to me! There is some overspray on one wheel well linear and one tire, can I go back and have them handle, yes, BUT if I have the supplies I can just do it. So anyone know how to remove from wheel well liners and tire?

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still need to take the pics, will do that soon!

BUT I want to do my exhaust now. I am debating on a flowmaster 40 series. I want something that won't hurt my mpg and sounds good, does the 40 fit this? Since I don't know exhaust really what's a good setup for this? I hear people saying do a Y pipe and yadda so any info helps! I think I want it to exit infront of rear tire, are there issues with doing that?

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll have to look under truck to see how it looks, it has a flowmaster on it currently (old owner put on). I forget what all it looks like under there, I just know it's rusting out badly!

Edit: exhaust does sound good heavy!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea my exhaust is bad so I'm replacing, I'd like to do new headers but 1 can't find, 2 not sure in future if I will do a hemi swap or Cummins. So currently I'm looking at replacing the cat all the way back. Debating going with flowmaster 40 or whatever current flowmaster is on my truck currently. Want to do it right is if anyone can help piece what I would need, I'm assuming Y pipe (does it matter brand?), cat (any specfic brand?), then just piping in assuming. I'll need to find some angles so I can have it exit infront of rear tire. I heard this isn't the best, anyone have opinions on this?

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
you wont find headers for the 4.7.
get high flow cats - there are better.
brand does not matter to some & everything others.

And as for in front of tires, its your truck do what you want.

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea my exhaust is bad so I'm replacing, I'd like to do new headers but 1 can't find, 2 not sure in future if I will do a hemi swap or Cummins. So currently I'm looking at replacing the cat all the way back. Debating going with flowmaster 40 or whatever current flowmaster is on my truck currently. Want to do it right is if anyone can help piece what I would need, I'm assuming Y pipe (does it matter brand?), cat (any specfic brand?), then just piping in assuming. I'll need to find some angles so I can have it exit infront of rear tire. I heard this isn't the best, anyone have opinions on this?

Magnaflow makes a nice little Y pipe that you can just weld in place of the stock crap. They're usually around $35. From there just buy some exhaust tubing and whatever muffler you want. Are you having a shop weld it in? If so, then just have them supply the tubing, and you just bring your y pipe and muffler.

If your cats are fine, I'd just leave them, but if you want to buy hiflow cats, you can look into that. I'm not too sure on brands for those, but I know Moes performance sells some.

Last edited: