HornDog's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought this beauty in December 2016. Ol red beard here caught my eye not only because of price but the deep shine he had sitting on the lot... I was never a red guy until this purchase! Anyway here he is in stock form:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Before I bought the truck I had a list of mods in mind already as most of us do I would imagine. This is my first Ram, my first truck and my first modded vehicle. I have never been able to let myself spend money on modding a vehicle but with this truck I just cannot help myself lol.

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilstein 5100 set at 2.1":
I knew right away that I hated the stock stance of the truck with soooooo much rake. I just had to put a level in it. I purchased a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks, set them to 2.1" and installed them. I should of taken better pictures but here it is

picture.php

picture.php

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maxliner molded floor mats front/back:
Sorry I lied, my actual first mod I suppose was the maxliner mats my wife got me for Christmas. Not as good as weather techs but for 145 bucks they are great. At first the passenger rear of the one piece back mat did not sit properly by where the front passenger seat meets the cab wall. After a few months it settled and looks perfect!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DeeZee tailgate assist:
This was the best 21 bucks I have spent on the truck for a functional purpose I believe. My 7 year old loves that she can operate the tailgate by herself now... Now my truck is the most popular at the fields and all the kids jump in the back lol.

picture.php

Easy to install. You can see the gold insert that goes in with a blind nut and then the silver nipple screws into it so the shock has a spot to attach.
picture.php

This was easy to. Just unscrew the top cable bolt bolt, take off the cable, put the plate in place and screw back together.
picture.php

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Carven TR Progressive kit muffler:
Next up is probably my favorite mod, my Carven TR Progressive kit muffler:happy107:

picture.php

Here is the stock behemoth of a muffler

picture.php

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuel "Beast" 20x10 w/-18 offset rims and 275/65/20 BFG T/A KO2's:
It took me some time to debate if I was going to spend the money and get rims or just leave the stock rims on. But I found these rims and that was it:

picture.php

picture.php

Some whole truck shots to please your eyeballs!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Not to much poke, maybe 1/2"-1"

picture.php

picture.php

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ziebart protection package:
I also went to Ziebart and purchased a package deal that included upper and lower rust protection, undercoating, diamond gloss paint protection and interior protection. This is all guaranteed for 10 years with free life time touch ups. With the rust proofing I get it touched up every year and undercoating I get touched up every 3 years. The diamond gloss is supposed to be touched up if for some reason it dulls. They told me that it should not and that I won't have to wax my truck for 10 years, we will see... With the interior protection I have to bring the truck in within reason from the time the stain occurs and they get it out for free or replace the upholstery if they cannot get it out. Expensive package but I figure if I keep this truck a long time it is worth it, even for resale value I just added someone a huge bonus because the warranty can be transferred and you can go to any Ziebart nation wide for service.

Of course the list of wants goes on and on and on... But here is a short list of whats to come!

Retrax one MX tonneau cover
Westin HDX drop steps
Gatorback mudflaps
Weathertech in channel rain guards
Possibly stock fender flares, not sure yet...

I would also like to customize a set of quad headlights but that is not definite yet. I might try the phillips headlights that are supposed to be so good first and see how much brighter they are.

Last edited:

USMC-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
great choice on FUEL wheels, they look nice on ole Red Beard!

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clean level. I think it should come like that from factory. And gotta say I like that red. If I could pick any color to repaint it'd be that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
great choice on FUEL wheels, they look nice on ole Red Beard!
Thank you sir. Took me a while to figure out what I wanted on the truck.

Clean level. I think it should come like that from factory. And gotta say I like that red. If I could pick any color to repaint it'd be that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could not agree more, the trucks should come from factory with a higher stance like this. Minimal rake of 1" is plenty. The gas mileage is not affected at all. Thanks man, I was never a red guy until I saw this truck (silver was my color of choice). I got looking at it, drove it, then bought it lol. Ram has some very nice colors to choose from really. These deep reds really sparkle with the pearl coat.

You going to get that bad boy up in the air?
Haha maybe some day. I like the looks of a level, nice and clean. If I do lift it I would go max of 4" just because I drive it daily and I do not want to drive a monster truck around lol. Not saying the lifts aren't bad axx but not for every day driving for me...

Looking great, keep up the good work!
Thanks guy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I ordered a bunch of stuff last night! Depending on when it gets here I will have more pictures up :rocking:

OP
OP
HornDog

HornDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You going to get that bad boy up in the air?

Will probably leave it at the level stance. If anything in the future I might go with a slight lift. 2-4 inches. It’s pretty high right now lol