Squids 88 thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
I actually found a bed that if it's in as good condition as the pics make it look I think I'm going to buy it to replace mine. It looks 100% rust and dent free in the pics. If so my plan is to do tubs like that blue truck but use part of the old beds wheel well to make a filler panel and finish it so it looks factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you can get a clean box it wouldn't be a bad thing but if you are going to cut up both to make one it might almost be better to use the box you got and find a rusted out bed to chop up for parts.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
if you can get a clean box it wouldn't be a bad thing but if you are going to cut up both to make one it might almost be better to use the box you got and find a rusted out bed to chop up for parts.

Looks like a clean box. Mine needs some work. The wheel moulding caused rust. Quite a bit of rust where the bed floor meets the front wall. Also one of the hinges for the tailgate is gone (found that when I opened the gate and it fell off). So if the bed I found is nicer I'm gonna get it if the price is right and cut mine up. It will also make moving the fuel tank door a little easier to be able to get a filler paper off the old bed. I had thought using the piece I cut out would work but it would be the thickness of the blade (x2) smaller so more welding to do which can cause warpage issues.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Looks good for its age. Good find. I had a first gen once, a part of it will always stay with me...

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Thanks guys. Truck was pretty clean for an old mans beater truck. He definitely took some care of it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know if this link will work or not but here is a video of a truck running those same rims that you picked up. looks like they had to chop a bit out of them front fenders. i think the front looks a bit off. if the rims came in smaller size it might look pretty good togethet but it is hard to get over a lowered truck with chopped fenders. it don't really look right on a dodge
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186996354998860/permalink/391040364594457/

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
i don't know if this link will work or not but here is a video of a truck running those same rims that you picked up. looks like they had to chop a bit out of them front fenders. i think the front looks a bit off. if the rims came in smaller size it might look pretty good togethet but it is hard to get over a lowered truck with chopped fenders. it don't really look right on a dodge
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186996354998860/permalink/391040364594457/

Yea I've talked to Hernan many times. He's got the same size wheels I got just much smaller tires. He too is looking for 20's for the front because he wants to go lower.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
My staggered wheels finally came in. Got 22x10's for the rear, 20x9 for the front. Nitto 420S tires showed up last week. Dropping them off in the morning to get mounted.

I've decided to just pull the motor out and freshen up all the seals and such. Got a TB rebuild kit, new oil pump, new water pump, double roller timing kit, freeze plug kit, new rad. hoses, bypass hose, motor & trans mounts, trans filter and I'm sure more will come along. Whole cab is full of parts boxes. Motor and trans will come out and get cleaned up and painted nice and perty. Engine bay cleaned up good. I know these 318 are **** motors but I really don't care about performance. All I really want is a sharp cruiser.

Next big part order will be all new A/C components. Any part on it that can be replaced will be replaced. Kinda roundabouted it up to be somewhere in the $600 range for this. Well worth it to me for these stupid humid summers in eastern Va.

Progress will likely slow though right now as my wife is on my case to get our boat ready for the summer. I gotta couple grand worth of work to get done so definitely gonna slow the dodge build but she will get done.

Pics of wheels to come shortly.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Tires got mounted today. Sick tread pattern.
9F9E9105-A75E-4106-B42B-9424DD905E12_zpsv57rxsel.jpg

Bolted one side up. Looks great.
0104593A-A578-4EC0-8F80-96291CBCA0FD_zps2xigij7n.jpg

I wanted to lower it about 2 more inches but even with these itty bitty tires on the front it just clears turning now. May be able to come down 3/4-1" but not really worth it.
D3123BC6-C72C-46DE-AFD3-FBEE81722CE4_zpsn06bylrr.jpg