Better hang on to your hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I say to hell with the small engines for fuel economy. Put the Hellcat engine in all the Rams, and give every buyer a new AR with 10 lbs of bacon. This is how we make America great again

I'm good with that. Sounds like a great idea

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say to hell with the small engines for fuel economy. Put the Hellcat engine in all the Rams, and give every buyer a new AR with 10 lbs of bacon. This is how we make America great again
Haha, that's great!

I wouldn't mind seeing a TTv6 as an option, but not a replacement. Much like Ford has the Ecoboost and still offers the 5.0.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I look forward to the twin turbo v6 to be honest. Love my hemi but I wouldn't mind more power and better fuel economy

Plus we'll never hear about the Hemi Tick again!!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great, two turbos that wont last as long as the engine, but probably just long enough for the warranty to expire.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
We'll see about the EPA soon... Between Trump and consumer demand for big vehicles, they're going to have to back off, or better yet, go away, for now. The manufacturers aren't able to build full size vehicles at a reasonable price and meet MPG mandates yet.

And the main source mentioned, Allpar, isn't the most accurate in my reading and experience. They've been suggesting new engines, models, and vehicles for years with hardly any of it being correct. If anything, the Hemi will be phased out over time. There's simply too many products, from Chargers to Grand Cherokees to Ram HD, using it (5.7 or 6.4). And speaking of Ram HD, 'real' trucks' aren't ready for twin turbo V6s. Too much weight for a TT to ever get off boost. They might lose the 5.7 there as the 6.4 supposedly gets the same mileage, although it technically doesn't matter in that class.

Regardless, I think we have 15, maybe 20 years before pretty much everything new is electric and self driven anyway. I just hope that that antique vehicles are still given exceptions and aren't mandated in to the junk yard.

As for making a turbo option, what's the point? The 5.7 Hemi is just as efficient or more with fuel as the Ecoboost (unless you start talking 4 banger TT, and that won't do in a pickup. Maybe the cars), and is cheaper to make and sell. They're also less parts to worry about.
The one risk with Trump is the 5.7L Hemi is made in Mexico and he keeps making threats on trade.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great, two turbos that wont last as long as the engine, but probably just long enough for the warranty to expire.

Is that's what's happening with the ecoboosts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi isn't going anywhere unless big V8s get regulated out of existence. That'll happen if another extreme leftist comes to power.

Yup. V8 trucks aren't going anywhere.

The current administration will modify the fuel economy requirements and put enough red tape in place at the EPA (if they don't completely gut it) that fuel economy concerns (from a manufacturers point of view) will be a thing of the past.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dunno, the Don is in favor of ethonal mandates. Maybe he will buy this load of garbage,

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah, I would comment but Smiley would ban me :) It is what it is, democrats get more votes. You might want the turbo v6, you may not want to shell out near 5g's to get it.

You can comment haha just don't make it all right vs left political especially trashing one side or the other.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like trucks should be segregated from politics.. in the pursuit of Life,Liberty, and to burn doughnuts on asphalt. That is how we will make AMERICA great again. No!!! it is how we will make AMERICA GREATER THAN EVER!!!!!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yup. V8 trucks aren't going anywhere.

The current administration will modify the fuel economy requirements and put enough red tape in place at the EPA (if they don't completely gut it) that fuel economy concerns (from a manufacturers point of view) will be a thing of the past.
We all want clean air and water etc. So he's not going to make all this overzealous stupidity go away. I would guess he will slow the rate of increasing stupid rather than roll it all the way back.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Ecoboosts have had some turbo problems but from what I've read it's the intake valves getting carboned up from the PCV system that's their main problem. Since it's direct injection there's no fuel being sprayed on the valves cleaning them off. I guess there's no Ford approved way to clean the valves except replacing the entire head...

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When have you ever heard of a turbo lasting 150K miles?

Maybe on commercial diesels, but not on gas engines.

I've got no idea haha km not very familiar with turbos and their longevity. I don't think I'll ever drive a vehicle of mine that for anyways to be honest but yeah I thought maybe there was something going on with ecoboost turbos a lot sooner than 150k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Allpar is about as reliable as breibert and CNN for facts.... just did a quick search and not one reputable or reliable source found on this subject. I don't doubt the EPA is trying to shut down the big muscle to push the little crap box econo hybrid but this aint happening and the day it does is the day the american automobile dies and so does america along with it, next you know we will be playing soccer and tennis instead of Football and baseball.

Basically if Fiat did away with the hemi, then they would be committing suicide, It really is the only thing that sells their brand. the only one that would survive is Jeep, and look at how many jeep guys are clamoring at the bit for a 5.7L jeep.

My honest opinion would get me kicked off here but "politically correctly" the EPA can go get gang ***** by a heard of elephants..... They along with CARB has ruined the diesel enthusiast market and world here in cali and the EPA is going for the kill since its over reach and laws from a agency that has no power not makes laws has worked so well here in commyfornia.
BTW, yes that was my politically correct version of that rant
Ok I'm done... hot button turned off

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Allpar is about as reliable as breibert and CNN for facts.... just did a quick search and not one reputable or reliable source found on this subject. I don't doubt the EPA is trying to shut down the big muscle to push the little crap box econo hybrid but this aint happening and the day it does is the day the american automobile dies and so does america along with it, next you know we will be playing soccer and tennis instead of Football and baseball.

Basically if Fiat did away with the hemi, then they would be committing suicide, It really is the only thing that sells their brand. the only one that would survive is Jeep, and look at how many jeep guys are clamoring at the bit for a 5.7L jeep.

My honest opinion would get me kicked off here but "politically correctly" the EPA can go get gang ***** by a heard of elephants..... They along with CARB has ruined the diesel enthusiast market and world here in cali and the EPA is going for the kill since its over reach and laws from a agency that has no power not makes laws has worked so well here in commyfornia.
BTW, yes that was my politically correct version of that rant
Ok I'm done... hot button turned off
I agree about the epa and CARB. I live in prius driving , hipster **** cheese skinny jeans California. They suck the fun out of everything. Selling my rt dakota because it wont smog if I do anything fun to it. Both rigs are sporting stupid shorty headers because I cant have long tubes here.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

FlynDutchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If the V6 twin turbo follows Fords ecoboost design it is doomed. I spoke with Ford techs before getting my Ram because I liked the performance of the ecoboost. They mentioned a few flaws with the Ecoboost design, 1 upgrading that motor dramatically reduces reliability and longevity, 2 the direct injection is built into the heads and when the injectors clog (more common than one would think) the entire cylinder heads have to be replaced which is very costly, 3. turbos generally have a service life of 50-70,000 miles before needing to be replaced. After learning all that I went with the Hemi RAM and love my decision every time i drive it. Only benefits of the V6 twin turbo is better fuel mileage, less weight which in turn helps in handling also.

Look at Roush, Shelby and Hennessey all the big performance Mustangs done are started with the 5.0 V8 not there Ecoboost.

Last edited: