Better hang on to your hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the V6 twin turbo follows Fords ecoboost design it is doomed. I spoke with Ford techs before getting my Ram because I liked the performance of the ecoboost. They mentioned a few flaws with the Ecoboost design, 1 upgrading that motor dramatically reduces reliability and longevity, 2 the direct injection is built into the heads and when the injectors clog (more common than one would think) the entire cylinder heads have to be replaced which is very costly, 3. turbos generally have a service life of 50-70,000 miles before needing to be replaced. After learning all that I went with the Hemi RAM and love my decision every time i drive it. Only benefits of the V6 twin turbo is better fuel mileage, less weight which in turn helps in handling also.
Holy God I'm glad I didn't get an Ecoboost....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If the V6 twin turbo follows Fords ecoboost design it is doomed. I spoke with Ford techs before getting my Ram because I liked the performance of the ecoboost. They mentioned a few flaws with the Ecoboost design, 1 upgrading that motor dramatically reduces reliability and longevity, 2 the direct injection is built into the heads and when the injectors clog (more common than one would think) the entire cylinder heads have to be replaced which is very costly, 3. turbos generally have a service life of 50-70,000 miles before needing to be replaced. After learning all that I went with the Hemi RAM and love my decision every time i drive it. Only benefits of the V6 twin turbo is better fuel mileage, less weight which in turn helps in handling also.

Look at Roush, Shelby and Hennessey all the big performance Mustangs done are started with the 5.0 V8 not there Ecoboost.

I leased one for 3 years ( the 3.5L ecoboost). iv seen plenty of 5.7 HEMI'S reporting much better MPG than my ecoboost ever got.

mattgalbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemie 2006 ?
So I've been driving the same dodge truck for over 15 years 4.7 she's been a great truck except for the rear end . It's been a1/2 ton piece of junk . Any way looking at a newer used 2006 - 2500 4x4 thunder road its got 155k on it & they want 10k for the truck . It seems in good shape & been taken care of as far as I can tell .
So what should I be worried about if any thing .
Thanks in advance Dodge Brothers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
5.7 Hemie 2006 ?
So I've been driving the same dodge truck for over 15 years 4.7 she's been a great truck except for the rear end . It's been a1/2 ton piece of junk . Any way looking at a newer used 2006 - 2500 4x4 thunder road its got 155k on it & they want 10k for the truck . It seems in good shape & been taken care of as far as I can tell .
So what should I be worried about if any thing .
Thanks in advance Dodge Brothers

You will get way more views and more help by posting a thread about this topic instead of posting in another thread.

Just an fyi.

And welcome

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if they wanna do away with v8 trucks, then all the big suburban the secret service and other gov't departments use should follow suit as well.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So if they wanna do away with v8 trucks, then all the big suburban the secret service and other gov't departments use should follow suit as well.

If RAM made an HD truck (3/4 or 1ton) with a twin turbo v6 that was of HD durability i would buy it on a second. I loved the 3.5 ecoboost that was in my leased ford. Just wanted an HD truck. I would have maxed out the payload in a half ton today with logs from some uprooted pine's.

I love my v8 but that ecoboost was a low rpm, torque powerhouse.

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hopefully this isnt the case. As someone who works on 6 cyl turbo vehicles for a living, having a naturally aspirated v8 truck is a breath of fresh air, considering it doesnt break all the time, haha. The ecoboosts dont even get good fuel mileage, and between the wastegate problems, timing chain problems, carbon build up issues which require walnut blasting, so on and so forth, none of it is anything to look forward to. Guess Im gonna have to try my best to make this thing last lol.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hopefully this isnt the case. As someone who works on 6 cyl turbo vehicles for a living, having a naturally aspirated v8 truck is a breath of fresh air, considering it doesnt break all the time, haha. The ecoboosts dont even get good fuel mileage, and between the wastegate problems, timing chain problems, carbon build up issues which require walnut blasting, so on and so forth, none of it is anything to look forward to. Guess Im gonna have to try my best to make this thing last lol.

The simple fact that is is a TT V6 is not the reason for those problems and you know it. All of those problems could be fixed with some design changes.A TT V6 can be reliable and have a long life if done right

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The simple fact that is is a TT V6 is not the reason for those problems and you know it. All of those problems could be fixed with some design changes.A TT V6 can be reliable and have a long life if done right

This. The carbon build up was due to the direct injection on the ecoboost. They addressed that issue on the gen 2 ecoboosts by giving them both direct and port injection.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I'm pretty sure timing belts/chains are a normal maintenance thing on every engine that has such things....

I've never been a fan of the ecoboost and have had several friends that bought one and wished they hadn't traded their 5.0 for it. I like the KISS principle personally. Any time you go adding systems like forced induction and multi-point fuel injection effectively doubling the number of injectors you're just adding things that can go wrong. Part of the reason I bought a 2500 with a Hemi over a 1500. 2500 trucks have no EGR and no MDS. 2 complete engine systems that will never give me fits. Spending a little more on fuel is well worth the savings in maintenance for me, especially since I try to do all my own work. :happy107:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I think factory turbos have been accepted by enough of the public for long enough and enough of the quirks have been eliminated that there would be enough interest for the option.

But I also believe vehicles are longer lasting and more reliable then ever before and people have lower lifespan expectations so...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think factory turbos have been accepted by enough of the public for long enough and enough of the quirks have been eliminated that there would be enough interest for the option.

But I also believe vehicles are longer lasting and more reliable then ever before and people have lower lifespan expectations so...

People today are also lacking a great deal of common sense. I had a girlfriend (for a very short period) that had NEVER changed the oil in her dodge neon.... went about 20,000 on the same oil. She didn't last long for me. Im sure the car didn't either LOL

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm pretty sure timing belts/chains are a normal maintenance thing on every engine that has such things....

I've never been a fan of the ecoboost and have had several friends that bought one and wished they hadn't traded their 5.0 for it. I like the KISS principle personally. Any time you go adding systems like forced induction and multi-point fuel injection effectively doubling the number of injectors you're just adding things that can go wrong. Part of the reason I bought a 2500 with a Hemi over a 1500. 2500 trucks have no EGR and no MDS. 2 complete engine systems that will never give me fits. Spending a little more on fuel is well worth the savings in maintenance for me, especially since I try to do all my own work. :happy107:

You have a 2500 with the 5.7? My 6.4 would be perfect without the MDS crap. I ALMOST got the 2500 with the 5.7....somtimes i wonder what that coolaid taste like.

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This. The carbon build up was due to the direct injection on the ecoboost. They addressed that issue on the gen 2 ecoboosts by giving them both direct and port injection.

Granted. My experience is with Bmw's turbo inline 6's, and of course with some design changes they could be great, the newer generation are a vast improvement. I prefer simplicity, but thats just personal preference.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
You have a 2500 with the 5.7? My 6.4 would be perfect without the MDS crap. I ALMOST got the 2500 with the 5.7....somtimes i wonder what that coolaid taste like.

Comparatively stock, same truck just 40 less hp, less maintenance and $1500 less to purchase. Don't forget that with your 6.4 you have an active intake manifold. Your engine has 3 more systems than mine that could cause problems. Simple is always better imo.