A quick snapshot, just wanted to share.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Ventured out of my office to put eyes on a potential issue for our service crew before I called them out. The bad news is that pump house to the right of my truck houses a well in which the pump is, or was almost 800' down. It is now laying on the ground along with nearly 800' of steel pipe and some heavy gauge wire. The good news is snapped this pic with my phone and I think it's kinda neat.

I normally don't visit job sites like this but it's my aunt & uncle, was only 10 minutes away from me, our service crew was 30 minutes away, and was hoping it would be a simple fix I could tackle for them and save them on the service call. No such luck, had a pump truck with 2 techs out there for several hours today, gathered parts this evening, and will be dumping all new stuff back in tomorrow morning.

10338730_10202515429205988_940407994252735104_n.jpg

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea on what happened to it all?

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
TwistedJake

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Yeah the pump. Did someone try to steal it and pull it loose or what?

Naw, no one is stealing a 5hp pump 800' in the ground unless they have a boom truck to pull it. I don't have the chart in front of me but I bet the pump alone weighs about 100lbs, plus 800' of heavy wire, 800' of steel pipe, and a 800' column of water. I have our newer F550 Pulstar with 40' boom on it and they called when they started pulling because the truck was straining hard to pull it.

The motor turned out to have a 1979 date code so just old age. The wire was falling apart under the static level so it was shorting out also. When we got there it was puling over 100 amps of power and not even running. Basically just wore out.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah. The amount of wire is what made me think somebody attemted to steal it

OP
OP
TwistedJake

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Ah. The amount of wire is what made me think somebody attemted to steal it

Yeah, we've heard of pump houses getting ransacked for copper by **** heads but not so much the case in years recent. They wouldn't get very far with this one. The power was coming direct from the meter on the power pole, no disconnect in the pump house so everything was live power. Plus only maybe 20' total of exposed wire. There is no way to get that wire out of a 6" diameter hole in the ground without pulling the pump. I'm guessing it weight a couple/few thousand pounds on the first pull.