Show off you Hydro dipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I know a lot of guys on here are big on vinyl wrapping and plastic dipping. I stumbled upon a few you tube videos about hydro dipping or water transfer printing. I have to say I was quite impressed with the fact that it can be used on just about any surface and material. The finished product is quite impressive, and the process quite simple and fast. Anyone on here have any firsthand experience with this if so let's see what you got.

Water Transfer Printing Film For Sale | Hydrographic Film | Hydro Dipping Film

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subd.

I've contemplated ordering some hydrodip material for a while now and trying it out.

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It can be easy, if you pick the right film and the right part. Some of the film is stretchy, like the red snakeskin that i've tried. I bought a kiddie pool to dip some of the larger car parts. Pieces with lots of angles are tricky! Smooth surfaces..no problem.

IMG_0018 (400x300).jpg

IMG_0012 (400x300).jpg

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Round pieces look like they'd be difficult to get looking good.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've done a few radio bezel for 3rd generation trucks. I've done a few Glocks as well with a desert digital camo. Looks amazing.

Dipping actually is pretty easy if you have the right bin, water temp and ability to clear it when done. Some kits come with their own spray bottles, but a detail gun is so much better.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the Red Snakeskin , but I'm to wondering how it holds up with heat over time ?

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a pain. I've actually done a lot of parts myself. And I also dipped an ar-15 and my wife's handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does it hold up, overtime, under temp extremes?

As long as your topcoat can handle heat then the dip is fine. Using automotive clear coat works.

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as your topcoat can handle heat then the dip is fine. Using automotive clear coat works.

Any 2k clearcoat holds up pretty well. I usually buy an extra car part and take my time, as it takes a few days to let paint dry, then the dip, then the clear...

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any 2k clearcoat holds up pretty well. I usually buy an extra car part and take my time, as it takes a few days to let paint dry, then the dip, then the clear...

Eh depending on your base coat. I use hydrodip specific base coat that cures very quickly. No need to let sit for long to dip.

wiggy999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eh depending on your base coat. I use hydrodip specific base coat that cures very quickly. No need to let sit for long to dip.

Ok, that will save time. I rushed the paint process drying time once and it was a MESS :)