East Coast people with EZPass!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I just grabbed this from another forum, I hope it is false but wanted to pass it along in the hopes of saving someone if it does turn out to be true.

To all of my fellow Mopar drivers who use EZPASS. A close friend working as a contractor for the NJTP reports that Radar Speed Units are being installed at the Toll Plazas in the EZPASS Only lanes. He said look below the digital screen ( Go, EZPass Toll Paid, Call Service Ctr etc) and if you see a Black Box mounted it means that lane has already been outfitted. Do Not Drive more that 4 mph above the posted speed which is usually 15 mph. Now this really sucks because I'm so used to zipping thru the plazas at anything up to 35mph....NO MORE !!!! Warnings and suspensions will be issued with the possibility of a fine....you had to know some way or some how they will profit from this !! So BEWARE !!

:emotions34:

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't believe this to be true. I drive through Jersey all the time, and usually zip through the lanes at 25-30 if there's no one around, but mainly ate least 20. I've never noticed this box that he mentioned on ANY of the toll lanes that I drive through and I go through at least a dozen a week.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know people that have gotten their ezpass suspended for speeding thru toll booths. They had to pay a penalty to get it restored. Not sure where or how they read the speed though.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Yeah, I never have seen any of these either but figured I would give a heads up.

My manager said his sister in law got a letter from EZPass saying to slow down cause I think she does like 40 or 50 through those narrow lanes.

Also heard people getting tickets for speeding between tolls but probably more like if you're doing 100+ the entire way.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Nice find, nothing police related but still, EZPass just makes life easier then sitting in 1 of 2 lines with 40 cars in each.

Don't need mine or my girls EZPass revoked.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good find, but pretty pointless to do to drivers. All you have to do is pick up a prepaid pass at Acme or in the vending machines along the highway and you're back in business.

Going through those lanes at 40-50 is just dangerous. I feel I'm going too fast when I do 25.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Vending machines? Seriously?

Never knew about those or even looked for those honestly. I got 3 EZPass tags in my name and had so since about 2007 or 2008 so never bothered.

I slow to about 25 or less, more afraid of hitting off something with how wide the truck is, my girls little Kia though is so narrow that you don't notice.

vpalace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh yeah, maybe it's just in PA so far, but at the rest stops, they have vending machines with prepaid ez passes.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
They do post speed limits at the tolls. I guess it took a long time to finally enforce it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of my employers had their ezpass suspended for speeding so there is some truth to this.

Also, since ezpass time stamps every time the tag is scanned they can figure out about how fast you are traveling. I always seem to avoid this because the good old highway systems always has some traffic on it which slows me down. :naughty: :signs8:

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've never gotten a notice for speeding between tolls due to time stamp, that's been an urban legend for years..

On the toll speeds, I did receive a letter from NY EZpass a few years ago after I first got mine. It stated that I had been clocked going 37mph through a 5mph lane. It stated that this was my only warning and all of my EZ passes would be revoked if it happened again. That being said, NY has been shooting radar in the toll lanes for at least a few years now. If I looked I could probably find the letter in my office somewhere.

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never gotten a notice for speeding between tolls due to time stamp, that's been an urban legend for years..

On the toll speeds, I did receive a letter from NY EZpass a few years ago after I first got mine. It stated that I had been clocked going 37mph through a 5mph lane. It stated that this was my only warning and all of my EZ passes would be revoked if it happened again. That being said, NY has been shooting radar in the toll lanes for at least a few years now. If I looked I could probably find the letter in my office somewhere.

And you are correct. They can't fine you or give you a ticket for speeding do to the time stamp. But they will keep a record of it.

You did confirm one thing for me and that is how stricked NY is with things like that.

I'll make sure to be extra careful when traveling in NY.

OP
OP
Sparkyy

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Came through the Bergen toll plaza after leaving the UPS customer center, saw a little black box aimed my way under the sign that says you paid.

Probably clocking speed and associates it with your tag # or account #.

I agree the speeding between tolls is a myth based on the idea of how many cars are on the road. You would need one hell of a computer to crunch a couple million cars to figure out their speed every time it got entered.

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Came through the Bergen toll plaza after leaving the UPS customer center, saw a little black box aimed my way under the sign that says you paid.

Probably clocking speed and associates it with your tag # or account #.

I agree the speeding between tolls is a myth based on the idea of how many cars are on the road. You would need one hell of a computer to crunch a couple million cars to figure out their speed every time it got entered.

HEY NOW!!! Who speeds between toll booths anyway. :naughty: :D

kicker226

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Tradesman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2 friends so far in PA that have gotten tickets for "speeding" on the PA turnpike. But they were only $109.50. Kinda like a failure to obey traffic signs, because they can't radar you. They said they were going 90+ between an exit that was 7 miles apart and only took them like 4 minutes? I don't remember exact times but I know that it was ridiculous. And we have state police that sit in between lanes and use their radar gun. Anything above 10mph the pull you over