I'm Moving!!! NV/AZ/NM/TX Rams!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Longhorn 4x4 2003 LY Evo VIII ER Built 2.2L
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Hey guys!

So in about 3 weeks (Jan 9 at 0600) I will be moving from Las Vegas, NV to College Station, TX to go to Texas A&M!

I will be passing through AZ-NM-TX

I'm not sure how the weather will be so I'm kinda using this thread as a weather updater and maybe meet up with some guys along the way! Always nice to meet fellow ramforum friends.

Anyways I'll be towing my girls car on the trailer behind me, it's about 1500 miles. We are looking at driving as much as we can the first day and second day, but always need to stop for lunch or gas along the way.

If you got any tips, meeting spots, or weather updates let me know!!

-Joe

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Are you taking I-40 all the way through AZ & NM or US93/I-10?

If I-10 you'll be coming through Phoenix and a meetup is definitely possible.

If I-40...well, it's a couple hours to Flagstaff and I'm not sure I'll be able to make the drive, depending on what's going on.

Either way, I'll try to remember to check back and update the weather.

On the way through Flagstaff, Oregano's pizza is a great place to eat if you pass through at a mealtime, but I'm not too sure about the parking; it's in downtown Flagstaff.

There are a few areas with high dangerous crosswinds on I-40 east of there, so if the forecast calls for wind, you'd do better to come through Phoenix and deal with a little extra distance/time.

Also, you'd be in a lot of snow-prone areas along I-40. If you want to avoid that, I'd take I-10 through Phoenix and southern NM and El Paso. No show along most of that; just a little bit of central NM maybe.

Lemme know if you do end up coming thru Phoenix and I'll find us a good place to meet and/or eat.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
Sounds good man! I think we are going to go through Phoenix to avoid the snow. I'll keep you posted though!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is zero snow in central NM. I live in ABQ and there isn't anything. I'm sure you can cruise I-40 without any hints of snow. Depends on when you come by I could possibly be able to meet up if you stop in ABQ.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
This is happening this morning: Snow coming down in Flagstaff, possible on McDowell Mountains, Camelback, Piestewa | azfamily.com Phoenix

[EDIT: Those three mountains listed are actually here in the Phoenix area. Those mountains getting snow is insane.]

If this keeps up, or happens again when you're traveling, you may need to use US93 to avoid a good deal of I-40 just to get to Phoenix, or may even need to divert west to US95. Keep tuned to the weather stuff...I-40 tends to get closed when heavy snow hits.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, central nm getting a good storm right about now. I don't think it'll be a lot, also knowing New Mexico it might just melt away after a few days.

OP
OP

2014StormTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD / 4G63
sweet thanks guys! it actually snowed a little here in vegas as well!! crazy ****!

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Updated weather:

I don't see any snow forecast over the next 5 days for Kingman, Williams, Flagstaff, Winslow, Holbrook, or Chambers. So, I-40 through Northern Arizona should be clear. Not sure about New Mexico, but my state's likely to be clear.

However, I'd still recommend the southern route through Phoenix in case the weather changes its mind. Plus, we can catch lunch or something on your way through if you do (which meal depending on time of day, of course).

Just lemme know, and if you end up coming this way, I'll PM you my cell phone as it gets closer. (Or PM me yours, whatever.)

-Mike

[EDIT: By the way, it snowed in North Scottsdale too, to crazy **** was everywhere! But it's back to more or less normal now.]

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Hope you had a good trip. You're most likely through Arizona now, so good luck the rest of the way. Sorry we couldn't meet up on your way through.