Massachusetts exhaust options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 6.4. Appreciated.
Well the one manufacturer is a ways out on making a kit so I struck out there for now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well boys and girls,..............I have some GREAT news!!!
I posted this question about the exhaust and exhaust sounds on one of the Mustang forums that I belong to, (as I am the very proud owner of a GORGEOUS 2013 GHIG Roush Stage 3).
Some of them have gotten inspections and known of people that got inspections with no problem. The videos are only set up to record the inspectors performing the inspection on your vehicle to make sure that they are actually doing the inspections. It does not record sound.
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!! :favorites13: :favorites13: :happy107:
That's the best news I've heard all week[emoji106]

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
lifts are going to be tough to pass is what I'm hearing.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm hoping they won't notice/care about a leveled truck...

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the best news I've heard all week[emoji106]
Same here!
Seriously lifted a weight off my shoulders as I would have to worry about the truck and my car. My truck is loud, but not too loud. My car,........that's loud. LOL

lifts are going to be tough to pass is what I'm hearing.
I'm hoping they won't notice/care about a leveled truck...
I think it depends on how high your lift is and whom does the inspection. Not sure if there is a max bumper height, but I "assume" that there is, unfortunately.

OP
OP
J

jguida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same here!
Seriously lifted a weight off my shoulders as I would have to worry about the truck and my car. My truck is loud, but not too loud. My car,........that's loud. LOL

I think it depends on how high your lift is and whom does the inspection. Not sure if there is a max bumper height, but I "assume" that there is, unfortunately.

This is MA law unless it has changed, supposedly they can take a measuring stick and if you're over whatever number they have you get an instant fail. No clue as to the stringency of this at inspection stations: (12) Altered Vehicle Heights. The original manufacturers specified height of motor vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less shall not be altered by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than two inches, except that 4-wheel drive motor vehicles with a original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less may be altered in accordance with the provisions of 540 CMR 6.00. The Registrar may periodically provide approved altered vehicle height specifications for said 4-wheel drive vehicles. Any motor vehicle altered, modified, or changed beyond the aforementioned two inches, or the Registrar's approved altered height specifications, shall be rejected.

If you want to get fun.. for 4x4's they add on this lovely snippet: (1) The maximum mechanical lift for four wheel drive motor vehicles shall be calculated by multiplying the wheel base times the wheel track, and dividing the product by a safety factor of 2200: i.e., 92" w/b
x 58" w/t = 5336/2200 = 2" (maximum mechanical lift). The outside diameter of the largest tire size
available from the original manufacturer as standard or optional equipment for the particular motor
vehicle may also be increased up to an amount equal to maximum mechanical lift calculated.

Punishment: (1) Due to slight variances in production tolerances, violations must be in excess of one inch beyond
the Registrar's specifications of approved maximum altered heights.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is MA law unless it has changed, supposedly they can take a measuring stick and if you're over whatever number they have you get an instant fail. No clue as to the stringency of this at inspection stations: (12) Altered Vehicle Heights. The original manufacturers specified height of motor vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less shall not be altered by elevating or lowering the chassis or body by more than two inches, except that 4-wheel drive motor vehicles with a original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less may be altered in accordance with the provisions of 540 CMR 6.00. The Registrar may periodically provide approved altered vehicle height specifications for said 4-wheel drive vehicles. Any motor vehicle altered, modified, or changed beyond the aforementioned two inches, or the Registrar's approved altered height specifications, shall be rejected.

If you want to get fun.. for 4x4's they add on this lovely snippet: (1) The maximum mechanical lift for four wheel drive motor vehicles shall be calculated by multiplying the wheel base times the wheel track, and dividing the product by a safety factor of 2200: i.e., 92" w/b
x 58" w/t = 5336/2200 = 2" (maximum mechanical lift). The outside diameter of the largest tire size
available from the original manufacturer as standard or optional equipment for the particular motor
vehicle may also be increased up to an amount equal to maximum mechanical lift calculated.

Punishment: (1) Due to slight variances in production tolerances, violations must be in excess of one inch beyond
the Registrar's specifications of approved maximum altered heights.
Boy I love this state......

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Went to get the wife's 17 Grand Cherokee inspected today. My usual place was closed for their vacation so I had to go to a different place. I talked to the guy for a good 10 mins about the new system. It's not looking good.

In addition to the cameras, they have to take pictures of: the front and back license plates, the seat belts latched, VIN plate, and odometer. You cannot have anything that obstructs the letters/numbers AT ALL on the license plates or it fails. He had to take the Chrysler brackets off both plates that the dealer put on because they obstructed PART of a letter. Talk about ********.

They will fail for wheels sticking out beyond the body of the vehicle. The cameras enforce this.

The exhaust has to be 100% factory or it fails. He said this is the part that's left up to interpretation but he felt this could be something they require a picture of as well.

So yay for living in MA.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
good to hear and thank you for the up to date info!

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my Ram inspected today in Ma with a flowmaster catback. Inspector asked me about it only because he was looking for an exhaust for his Ram. Passed without issue.

That's awesome man. Thanks for posting!!
Yeah, they can't tell us what exhaust to run. If we have the cats on and the 02 sensors are intact,....we're good to go. That's not how it works.

*****I ******* hate it when people try to spread fear, saying it won't pass because of exhaust note. Go away. :flipthebird: LOL

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice! I thought that was BS that they can fail it for any exhaust modifications after the cats

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! I thought that was BS that they can fail it for any exhaust modifications after the cats

I agree.
How can they fail it if it there are catalyic converters in place and the O2 sensors are working? It's still a muffler.
PLUS,.....I do believe the FLowmaster Outlaw muffler is CARB certified. :favorites13:

FXLRRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Went to get the wife's 17 Grand Cherokee inspected today. My usual place was closed for their vacation so I had to go to a different place. I talked to the guy for a good 10 mins about the new system. It's not looking good.

In addition to the cameras, they have to take pictures of: the front and back license plates, the seat belts latched, VIN plate, and odometer. You cannot have anything that obstructs the letters/numbers AT ALL on the license plates or it fails. He had to take the Chrysler brackets off both plates that the dealer put on because they obstructed PART of a letter. Talk about ********.

They will fail for wheels sticking out beyond the body of the vehicle. The cameras enforce this.

The exhaust has to be 100% factory or it fails. He said this is the part that's left up to interpretation but he felt this could be something they require a picture of as well.

So yay for living in MA.
I've talked extensively with my inspector about the new system. I've used him for for eighteen years and have a great relationship with him.
My concern is for my old Camaro which has no "cat" and has a FlowMaster in it. (My truck is new.)
He told me that unless he gets under the car, which he wont, and it passes the emissions read, there won't be any issue getting passed. He mentioned the exhaust note at idle wasn't enough for concern.
The video cameras are there to make sure the inspections are being done properly and recordings are sent to the RMV for filing.
We didn't talk lifting or lowering because it wasn't a concern of mine.
We did talk tinted windows though. For now, he suggested driving into inspection with the windows down for video purposes. He wasn't aware of any window tint readings being implemented although they were mentioned when the system went into effect in October.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've talked extensively with my inspector about the new system. I've used him for for eighteen years and have a great relationship with him.
My concern is for my old Camaro which has no "cat" and has a FlowMaster in it. (My truck is new.)
He told me that unless he gets under the car, which he wont, and it passes the emissions read, there won't be any issue getting passed. He mentioned the exhaust note at idle wasn't enough for concern.
The video cameras are there to make sure the inspections are being done properly and recordings are sent to the RMV for filing.
We did talk tinted windows though. For now, he suggested driving into inspection with the windows down for video purposes. He wasn't aware of any window tint readings being implemented although they were mentioned when the system went into effect in October.
Awesome thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little better....

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guy showed me the check about a month ago. There were quite a bunch of things they have to visually check out now.
Ride height is on there as well as window tint. He also said something about checking underneath the car as well. Whether or not your guy does that or not, I guess is up to him, but it will all be recorded. He has to take a "selfie", if you will, to verify that he was the one that did the inspection. I would "assume" that he might want to be thorough as it's his name and photo on the inspection report.
Eventually they may find loopholes. This is a huge overreach in my eyes by the state. Overkill.
There are issues beyond this that are way more important in my opinion.