one way rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hello from Germany,
my wife and I are planning on a trip from Chicago to Denver, or vice versa.
We would like to travel in a rented RAM.
B U T : The big rental companies (Alamo, Hertz ...) don`t allow one-way rentals. Enterprise Truck Rental does require a US driver`s license, which I don`t have.
Does somebody know a rental company in Chicago or Denver, which allows non US residents one-way rentals of a premium pick up-truck (I would even get on a F 150 or a Silverado) ?
Hope someone can help
Novus

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im Interesse der Allgemeinheit beantworte ich das mal auf Englisch...

I think all the big rental companies have one-way rentals. Checked on the Hertz website and I could select a one way for a pickup truck there. However one-ways are 'schweineteuer', more than twice the rate of a regular rental. You are stuck with the big companies for one-ways because smaller ones are often only regional. The other thing is that there is a distinction between corporate agencies (e.g. at airports) and franchise ones that won't allow one-ways because they want their cars back ;)

HTH

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hello and thank you for choosing the US as your travel destination!

I would suggest calling the major rental companies directly with these questions, you can find all the major ones from booking sites such as Expedia etc... They would probably give you best advice on your question. One note of caution, keep in mind that there's a chance that they will not be able to guarantee that you will get that exact model of the car, they will guarantee you a particular class of car though, and most of the time they should be able to deliver on their promise, just have a backup plan in case they don't... Or be OK with accepting different comparable class car.

Honestly, I never saw a Ram truck rental before. I think I have seen some f150 on certain websites, but your request is very specific and would be hard to fulfill.

You could probably make your life much much easier if you settle for renting a generic large suv such as Tahoe, I think most rental companies have that, but premium trucks may be challenging.

Try Avis, they usually more expensive but have higher end selection. I would also try Google search on the particular city where you're trying to rent and call both local offices of rental garages and central reservations to see if they will help.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck to you and welcome to US!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im Interesse der Allgemeinheit beantworte ich das mal auf Englisch...

I think all the big rental companies have one-way rentals. Checked on the Hertz website and I could select a one way for a pickup truck there. However one-ways are 'schweineteuer', more than twice the rate of a regular rental. You are stuck with the big companies for one-ways because smaller ones are often only regional. The other thing is that there is a distinction between corporate agencies (e.g. at airports) and franchise ones that won't allow one-ways because they want their cars back ;)

HTH

ive picked up from a local enterprise location and dropped it off at an airport before.

OP
OP
novus

novus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thank you for your replies,
I don`t want to waste other people`s time and did a lot of web research before posting a thread in your forum.
All efforts turned out negative.
Originally Posted by csuder99
I think all the big rental companies have one-way rentals. Checked on the Hertz website and I could select a one way for a pickup truck there
How did you do that? Every time, I tick "return to a different location" on the website of a rental company, the pick-up truck disappears from the list of cars to choose from.
"Originally posted by Kap 1
I would suggest calling the major rental companies directly with these questions
I called the rental companies at Chicago`s O`Hare Airport. They were friendly and helpful, but told me, there`s no way to rent a RAM (or similar) one way.
Now, I need some good advice.
Novus

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You could buy one and resell it.

Well, maybe not.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
Traveling I have found that the big ones do better at renting one ways. Enterprise is actually the only one that has charged me extra for a one way. I usually stick to avis and national when I rent.

The problem with wanting to request a pickup is that these locations only have 1 or 2 of them and get rented by people that need them for moving then bring them back. You take their only pickup then they dont have anything to rent to those people. Honestly thinking back and looking through an airport lot I dont think I can recall really seeing any pickup trucks. You gotta think most people just need a ride to get them around and back within a couple days. Not trying to haul lumber to and from the airport.

I suggest maybe you can call some of the rental car companies that are outside of the airport where they may actually have some trucks on the lot.

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4
You could try Payless Rentals. I don't know about one way, but I do know they have trucks. Especially Rams. I rented this at the Pittsburgh airport a in 2014:

097fa4baba6538a07282d9e49a60f142.jpg0e81fe407d325e58429e74e6fcc935a3.jpg

If they do rent one ways, it will have a drop fee which is usually big $s. You will have to contact the location of pickup directly. Consequently, renting this truck was a big reason for me purchasing my own Ram.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I almost always see Ram trucks at our local Enterprise rent-a-car place. Usually the V6 version, but they are there.

However, the novus is right. I checked with all the rental sites/companies in my area, and as soon as I select one-way, they pickup options disappear. I would call a few of them on the phone and ask (and also ask about the non-U.S. license), sometimes they offer options over the phone that they don't through the web.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Honestly, I never saw a Ram truck rental before. I think I have seen some f150 on certain websites

Last May, my Civic was in the shop for 3 weeks after I was side swiped on the interstate. The local Enterprise only had vans, sub-compacts and a v6 Ram. I took the Ram and fell in love. I bought my v8 Ram the following month, couldn't transition back to the little car.

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$229.99 a day!!!! That's a loan payment per day just to rent one. Wow! Tell me they don't make big money.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Same with Hertz. Are you using the US website ?

Please note that car rentals are based (among many other things) on the country of residence.

In fact I was reading some of the fine print on a recent Hertz rental and basically they own you if you misrepresent your country of origin.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Same with Hertz. Are you using the US website ?

Must be the dates chosen. I chose some dates, and got the same results you guys did. Some other dates, and no pickup option. I am guessing its differing availability?

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U Haul?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
novus

novus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thrifty made my day, they offer one-ways for a reasonable price (the price on Hertz`website looks like a misprint).

Originally posted by jackblacksheet
I took the Ram and fell in love. I bought my v8 Ram the following month, couldn't transition back to the little car

My trip ahead might become more expensive,
twelve years ago, I rented a Harley in Denver...guess, what I`ve bought two months later...:party36:

Thank you all for your friendly and helpful hints
Novus

OP
OP
novus

novus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
What does your signature pic show?

This pic shows all the states of the lower 48, we travelled through by car, by bike or by RV.
With our next trip (Chicago to Denver) we want close the gap between the Great Lakes and the Rockies (hopefully in a Thrifty`s truck)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel