Rules and Regs for the HID in VA?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Was told by Firestone that they cannot pass a vehicle safety inspection if it contained aftermarket HIDs but was okay if it came from the factory stock, was wondering if anybody was running a set in Virginia that had some advice.

Crypto_Sailor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was told by Firestone that they cannot pass a vehicle safety inspection if it contained aftermarket HIDs but was okay if it came from the factory stock, was wondering if anybody was running a set in Virginia that had some advice.

I'm checking with a friend who has HID headlights and fogs. I want to say I've heard it before and people just swap them out or find a place who installs HID kits and does safety inspections to pass them. But I'll edit this post once I find out.

R/
Brian

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Inside the door there's a sticker that say's may include HID's. At least on mine it does and it didn't come with them.

You could point that out if they hassle you?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
This a good question. VA has some strange laws. One being your fog lights cannot be operated with the high beams on.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Just don't take it to Firestone. Large chains like that are sticklers for every small rule and regulation. Take it to a smaller mom-and-pop type place, and I doubt they will say a thing about them.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This a good question. VA has some strange laws. One being your fog lights cannot be operated with the high beams on.

That's not just a VA thing.......if it was, why do you think all new cars/trucks are made that way ??

And I've never heard of this HID thing...and i know lots of people who have put them in and stilllhave no probelms with inspections.

Last edited:

mossyoak03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You can have hids in your headlights as long as it's in a projector that reduces glare and is DOT approved. As far as fog lights go it is illegal. Got a ticket for it in Halifax county in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk