Ram Runner Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-HOOT-

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I am currently in the planning phase for a 'Ram Runner' build from scratch and I am looking to get some advice from current RAM 1500 owners on how to get started since there are so many models out in the market.

Seeing I currently do not own a RAM 1500 truck the first thing off the list would be to purchase a used 4th Gen 2009-2011 model. I'm hoping to get away with a relatively low initial purchase price given the fact that it will be heavily modified so I'm not too concerned about its condition. The only requirement is of course the HEMI 5.7L engine; the center interior console would be nice to have as well but I feel like I've seen it only on the more expensive higher-end versions (please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyhow what model names should I be looking at and more importantly what would be a reasonable price estimate to start off with (truck only) ?

For that matter I was thinking of going with the Crew Cab instead of the Quad Cab seeing I'd rather have the extra interior than bed space. I checked RAM's website and both models come out to 229" in overall length, can anyone confirm this is the case ? Lastly would 4x4 be a better choice than going 4x2 ?

Thanks!
-Tom

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off if you can live without all the bells and whistle get the base model express cheapest around. Secondly if you plan on doing a true prerunner like buying the kit from kore or having one made then go 2wd, if you just want looks get 4wd. Ill leave that to you. Hope this little bit of incite will help ya out.

Camo Ram

OP
OP
H

-HOOT-

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
First off thanks to both of you for the help.

First off if you can live without all the bells and whistle get the base model express cheapest around. Secondly if you plan on doing a true prerunner like buying the kit from kore or having one made then go 2wd, if you just want looks get 4wd. Ill leave that to you. Hope this little bit of incite will help ya out.

Camo Ram

Yes I'm planning on doing a true pre-runner. The first after-market product that will go on the truck is the 'KORE Stage II Suspension System'. My doubt regarding the 4wd vs 2wd was given by the fact that they offered the kit for both variants so was unsure which one was more correct between the two. Going 2wd should also save me a bit on the initial purchase cost for the truck which doesn't hurt either.

Whilst I'm on the subject I saw that installing the KORE kit requires extensive tools and knowledge which I frankly do not posses. Would I be able to have this installed at the local chrysler/dodge dealership (like I would if going through MOPAR) ?

Why don't you look for a salvaged Ram that need bodywork. you will end up replacing a lot of sheet metal anyway. you might save a lot of money that way...

Copart USA - The Source for Online Car Auctions - Home Page

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into it. Although its going to be tough to find one which requires only some bodywork repairs. I had a brief look and a lot of them seem they need mechanical work as well. An alternative way to go about it would be to simply sell through eBay the stock body parts that I will be swapping out.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
definitely get 4wd. way more practical. If you want you can go for an SLT model. they normally come with a centre console, but probably not leather, but who needs that anyways???

Ive put alot of searching into the ram runner, and thought about doing it for quite some time,

youll need kore stage 2 kit, 8000 bucks plus probably 2000 bucks install (any shop should be able to do it im guessing)

youd be better off with an addictive desert designs front bumper vs the kore one, as you can put that on yourself where as the kore needs welding. and you also get a much nicer bumper

then the fiberglass fenders, plus paint n fitting.

ive put quite a bit of research into it and all said and done your looking at atleast 12000 in parts n install

OP
OP
H

-HOOT-

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I live in Florida so I can get away with going 2wd, 4wd would be nice to have but definitely not a necessity. I guess it all depends on how much of a price difference it translates to in the used market. Does the SLT come with a 5.7L HEMI engine ?

But yeah its definitely an expensive project that's why I'm trying to plan everything before hand in order to see if its actually something feasible.

In terms of bumpers I think that price wise the ADD and KORE come out pretty much level in terms of cost, the ADD is more expensive but doesn't require a professional to do the job which balances out for the labor costs required to install the KORE.

Aside from KORE/MOPAR and ADD products does anyone know of any other after-market brand that makes pre-runner products for the RAM 1500 series ? I'm especially trying to find alternative tire carriers for the back-end.

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont go 2wd. thats just silly, seriously. put the extra money into original purchase price and its worth it.

tiregate makes good tire carriers for our trucks

OP
OP
H

-HOOT-

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Thanks I'll check them out. I'm trying to go for THIS or THIS kind of look although I am unsure if its going to be possible on the RAM bed as opposed to the Ranger's pictured.

Can you elaborate on why going 2WD would be a bad idea ? I thought most pre-runners were 2WD although there are some 4WD ones out there.

Any chance anyone can ID this set of RIMS and HEADLIGHTS ?

Robstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you set on a 4th gen truck? KORE makes the Stage 2 kit for 06-08 models as well and you'll find those are much less expensive to buy used than the newer models. Plus they have leaf spring suspension which is much easier to build into a prerunner setup than the rear of the 09-current models which use coil springs. You could do a set of deaver springs with a good piggy back shock and bed cage for around $1,500 on a gen 3 truck where as the KORE rear kit for gen 5 is ~$3,000.

Gen 3 truck, SLT, Hemi ~$15,000 (w/ low miles, cheaper w/ higher miles)
KORE stage 2 kit ~$4,500
Deaver leafs, FOA piggys, bed cage ~$1,500
Front fenders ~$350
KORE bumper ~$800

Plus install...

You are going to have to have a shop do the cutting and welding on the suspension kit regardless so you may as well buy the cheaper bumper and have them charge you a couple more hours labor to weld the new brackets on. It will be cheaper in the long run.

And 4wd is great for when your out playing by yourself and you hit a soft spot somehwere and you'd otherwise be stuck in a 2wd but with no one to help you. You just kick in the 4wd and go. Or blast away in 4wd and go deeper and further than a 2wd but just as fast.

As far as the rims and headlights... I think the rims are the Mopar "Performance" rims that come on the Ram Runners and the headlights look stock, just dirty. A cheaper option for rims would be the Methods. BJ Baldwin uses them on all of his Trophy trucks, prerunners, DDs so they gotta be tough! Anything from Mopar will be way more expensive than aftermarket.