A + and - ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
2015 Quad Cab 8 speed transmission V6
On the column as you know the + and - for the trans. I assume that you hit the - to stay in a lower gear. IE: hauling a big load etc ? Does it reset each time you restart the truck? Or push + and adjust ? I also assume a light will come on in the dash! I know it is a Noob lame question but before I try something new I like to know the proper way!
I did finally get to use my 4 wheel drive today for the FIRST time :) And I can say WOW the difference on a snowy/icey road was night and day!
Thanks for answering my noob question even it is to just suck a egg lol

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
it will reset when you put it in park and it will display which gear its in

tuned by Jay Greene

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The buttons only limits the highest gear the transmission will shift into. The + button will not force an upshift.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks for answering my questions!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the same with an 8spd but my 6spd will upshift to any gear from the previously set gear if I push the + button.

What I mean is if I am in manual mode, using the buttons, and am in third gear (indicated) doing 45MPH and push the + button, the transmission will upshift to 4th gear. If I press and hold it, it goes all the way to "D" which is full auto.

The reverse process works as well. If I am in 4th gear indicated and doing 45MPH, then press the - button, the transmission will downshift into 3rd.

So have you tried shifting up and down using the button yet?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm not sure this is the same with an 8spd but my 6spd will upshift to any gear from the previously set gear if I push the + button.

What I mean is if I am in manual mode, using the buttons, and am in third gear (indicated) doing 45MPH and push the + button, the transmission will upshift to 4th gear. If I press and hold it, it goes all the way to "D" which is full auto.

The reverse process works as well. If I am in 4th gear indicated and doing 45MPH, then press the - button, the transmission will downshift into 3rd.

to clarify this, you cannot force an upshift by pressing the + button. all your doing is selecting the next highest gear the transmission can shift to. if other parameters for the transmission to shift have been met, the transmission will shift. you can force a downshift though.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
to clarify this, you cannot force an upshift by pressing the + button. all your doing is selecting the next highest gear the transmission can shift to. if other parameters for the transmission to shift have been met, the transmission will shift. you can force a downshift though.

That is correct.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

So far I have not used the +/- as I have not towed anything yet , I just like to know the whats and whys on anything I try so I do not damage anything,,I tend to run on the side of caution lol

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks everyone for your input on my Noob ? I got the info I was looking for :)

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

true but in my experience, if you run the RPM's up like I do, it will shift right away.

That's why I run it in manual mode! :naughty: