12-13% off MSRP before rebates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
to be sure, you can get more off the sticker price with a top of the line model than a bottom of the line model with few options from the dealer. that is before the rebates come into play.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish the dealers weren't all in cahoots with each other here. There's just SO many people willing to debt the hell out of themselves with $800-$1000/month payments that the dealers have little incentive to cut a deal now. I walked out on a few and they actually didn't care. Not even a little. Zero effort to bring me back in, the only thing they could've possibly done to show less interest would be to literally yawn and shrug to my face lol.

Very different from my last buy in 2009. We need another auto industry recession and this time stop the government from bailing them out when they come crawling hat in hand

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work for a dealership group and we have a Ram store where I just bought a new 2016 Ram in August. Timing and what specific model/trim/package you are looking at will play a huge role in the discounts and rebates you get. Ultimately I would say 12-13% is pretty low and not a great deal.

I work on the corporate side and can see a lot of these numbers and in my opinion you shouldn't buy a Ram at less than 15% discount before rebate, and it is possible to get as high as 20%. As an employee with my company I was able to find a truck that was on 20% discount and then with my employee discount on top of that I ended up getting it for 25% off MSRP.

Be patient and keep looking. These dealers aren't offering you anything special. Try to get 20%.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I work for a dealership group and we have a Ram store where I just bought a new 2016 Ram in August. Timing and what specific model/trim/package you are looking at will play a huge role in the discounts and rebates you get. Ultimately I would say 12-13% is pretty low and not a great deal.

I work on the corporate side and can see a lot of these numbers and in my opinion you shouldn't buy a Ram at less than 15% discount before rebate, and it is possible to get as high as 20%. As an employee with my company I was able to find a truck that was on 20% discount and then with my employee discount on top of that I ended up getting it for 25% off MSRP.

Be patient and keep looking. These dealers aren't offering you anything special. Try to get 20%.

the key is to not look for a model that is in short supply. in may area there are few sport models, dealers arent talking deals on them. big horns are plentiful and that is what i found they would deal on.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thank you very much jschwanke84.

I just submitted an offer on 2 available Big Horn, Quad cab, Pentastar V6 with about every option available including sunroof and Rambox (msrp $47k ish) to a dealer in Massachusetts. One a 2015, one a 2016 with a 20% discount before rebates. The dealer hasn't responded. As noted above, it's like they really don't care. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry and have the luxury of waiting for the right opportunity to present itself but I'm finding dealers either don't respond to offers or they are becoming "no haggle" dealerships and politely say no. Lol, some aren't so polite, lol. I had one sales person tell me "We have no interest in doing business with you at those numbers. We are a no haggle dealership".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
$47k? how tarted up are the trucks? My Big Horn CC 6.4 4x4 2500 was barely more than that in sticker price. Just surprising a V6 1500 would be in the same sticker price range. My truck came pretty well equipped. If you could give a run down on the major options, I'm very curious.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As noted in my comments above. MSRP coming in at about $47k. Nearly every option available on a Big Horn including Rambox ($1300), sunroof ($1000), Alpine speakers, NAV, heated seats and steering wheel, 3.55 gears, anti spin differential, rear defroster, floor mats, 32 gallon tank. I think the only option it doesn't have is air suspension.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As noted in my comments above. MSRP coming in at about $47k. Nearly every option available on a Big Horn including Rambox ($1300), sunroof ($1000), Alpine speakers, NAV, heated seats and steering wheel, 3.55 gears, anti spin differential, rear defroster, floor mats, 32 gallon tank. I think the only option it doesn't have is air suspension.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That IS pretty loaded. I don't have the ramboxes, sunroof or the Alpine/Nav and rear slider doesn't have defrost. My defrost button seems to work on my power folding mirrors rather than my rear window. Makes more sense why the sticker is so high. My truck does have the air suspension (different from the 1500 though), 8.4 non nav system, heated steering/seats, floor mats, 32 gallon tank, and anti spin 4.10 gears. My sticker was I think around $49000.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I wasn't really looking for something with that much equipment, but, they had the 2016 in a color I'm interested in and while browsing their site came across the 2015. I was hoping they'd be motivated to move the 2015 at a substantial discount. I guess not if they haven't responded. Oh well, I'm not chasing a dealer that doesn't want to make a deal. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've shopped for a vehicle, it's just amazing to me that they don't even respond. A simple "No, I'm not interested" is better than no response at all. Very odd, especially when someone is inquiring about a new vehicle that's now 2 years old. Heck, you'd even think RAM would be giving big incentives to move that truck. Again, very strange. I'm glad time is on my side and I can wait for the right opportunity to present itself.

I submitted a counter offer to a dealer that offered me a Laramie, Quad, Pentastar at 13% off MSRP before rebates. I offered 20% off MSRP plus the rebates. Let's see if they come back with anything.

dtlasic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part of the rebate price differences on different trucks also involves how long the unit has been in inventory. The oldest units get more rebate consideration from the factory to the dealer.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yes, as far as I can tell at this point, the **41K** rebate, at $2000, is a rebate FCA/Ram has to clear out old stock. Something like the oldest 10% of a dealers stock or something like that. Supposedly, FCA/Ram determines which vehicles qualify for that rebate.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Well, it's official. I pick up a 2016 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab, 4x4, Pentastar, Bucket seats, 3.55, Anti slip diff, Heated Seats and Wheel Group and side steps in Delmonico Red next Friday.

I have to thank all the folks here that responded, it really was a big help. A special thanks to those who tried to get across that it doesn't matter how you get to 25% off, as long as you get it. It wasn't until I was negotiating face to face, and running the numbers countless times, that the point came through. As RAM is pushing their 20% off theme, all rebates are off the table. I pushed on a dealer that came to 24% off MSRP but wanted to cut short on the trade that essentially gave them back the 4.5% they were giving me on top of the 20% off. Admittedly, the dealership was at a disadvantage and, pretty much, in a no win situation as I knew I had an incredible deal on something else but was doing my best to try and keep my business local. While my local dealer isn't getting a sale, they'll get all my service.

That brings me to what I wound up with. About two weeks ago I came across a "used" 2016 Big Horn optioned the way I wanted with 5 miles on the odometer. That got my attention and, thank goodness, I actually found a salesperson that responded to an email inquiry. You have no idea how many emails I sent to other dealers and received no response. As it turns out the vehicle had just been put up on cars.com and the mileage wasn't listed correctly, it actually has 3300 miles on it. The dealer called and gave me the full story. It was a vehicle the dealer put into loaner service in July, as such it was being sold as used. Their asking price was below any new vehicle similarly optioned, even at a 25% discount. They also gave me my full asking price on my trade in. Even though it's used, giving up 6 months of warranty coverage wasn't a show stopper for me as I'm a long term owner and the lower buy-in price benefits my situation. In the end I got 32% off MSRP plus $5k for my 2002 Ford F150 with 160K. The down side is that I have to travel to pick it up. Even with the cost of travel I came out nearly $3000 ahead of what I could have purchased a new one locally. I'm OK with that as situations like this give us an excuse to travel and see area's we've never been to.

Thanks again everyone....

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice purchase. A lot of good info in this thread. Wish I saw it when I went to buy mine!

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
New to the forum and first post... gotta say, I wasn't considering a Ram until the last 2 months. Before, I had my head wrapped around getting a Sierra. Then I sat in and test drive. The value, ride and interior won me over.

So, I started my search for the best deal I could find and last week, I found my truck at an incredible deal. So excited!

Got a 2016 Sport 4x2 very well optioned. MSRP of $44,685. I got $7500 in rebates and $7250 dealer discount taking it just under $30k. Frankly, I cannot believe the deal I received and how well appointed the sport come. Plus I got nearly $2k in options.

So incredibly happy to be a new Ram owner. Now, looking for ways to personalize:happy107:

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
This is a very good example of why knowing what to expect for a base discount before rebates is helpful. To qualify for $7500 in rebates, regardless of where you live, you must be in a very unique position. Conquest lessee, military, regional bonus, likely an engine bonus, probably some sort of affiliate bonus. The vast majority won't qualify for that many rebates and receive the 32% total discount seen here. And, in line with what could be expected, before rebates he received 15% off MSRP. For me, and where I live, I would have qualified for less than 10% of MSRP in rebates. This gentleman walked away with 17%. That's a lot.

Good on you, you did incredibly well. Enjoy the new ride......

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys. I understand folks are getting 20% WITH rebates, I'm trying to determine what folks are getting BEFORE rebates. As noted, southeast rebates are higher than northeast rebates. That effects what people are paying OTD. Do you know what the selling price was BEFORE rebates were applied? Thank you...

Not sure what the percentages come out to be, but you can count on $1800 below invoice. The dealer is still making 7% of MSRP with that number.
In my area (upstate NY) I get 17% off MSRP then what ever incentives are available.