12 Ram 1500 DTC P0507

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dksob81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L I replaced the Throttle Body with a BBK 90mm unit. After doing so, I did the idle relearn procedure that came with the instructions. Started the truck everything was fine, next day while driving down the road the Check Engine light came on for a P0507 - higher then expected Idle. Cleared it and in about 20-30 miles the same thing. The idle seems normal on the tach. I connected my scan tool to it and the desired idle is 585 rpm and actual idle fluctuates between 620-660 rpm. I did an idle relearn using the scan tool and did not help, the light comes on every 20-30 miles after clearing it.
Whats weird is the conditions for setting this code is 200 rpm difference at idle for longer then 30 seconds - That doesn't happen, and every time the light comes on it's when I'm driving down the highway, not even idling. I checked for vacuum leaks and nothing, and the tach seems to be in the same place it always was, nothing excessive.

Anyone have any issues like this.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps the PCM thinks you are idling when you aren't. The speedo is working right?

It is a two trip type fault, so it may take awhile to set the check light.

OP
OP
D

dksob81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, the speedo works. Well, yesterday I retuned it and disabled the MDS. I drove it home from work (maybe 2 miles), sat all night, remote started it this morning and went and got coffee before coming to work. The light came on and I only did 4.7 miles this time....hmmm

I read the code description again, it says it will set a soft code when there is a 200 rpm difference in desired and actual, and a timer will start, if it does not reach it's threshold within 30 seconds it will set the code and turn on the check engine light. None of this makes sense, the light doesn't come on while idling only while driving down the road, conditions for setting code also include no VSS signal. I not so concerned with the conditions it's setting. I just want to figure out what my options are for keeping the light off. Anyone know of any tuners that has a adjustable Idle Set Point?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You really need to get a high level scan tool on it and see what is actually going on. Could be a cam/crank sensor correlation issue and/or a vehicle speed sensor (VSS)issue.

OP
OP
D

dksob81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a HIGH LEVEL SCAN TOOL (As you put it). I used my Snapon Verus Pro, like i said the desired idle is 585 rpm, the actual rpm is 620-660 but still well within the 200rpm threshold of the code setting conditions. I installed my stock Throttle Body yesterday at work. I have put 43 miles on it and No CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have probably asked BBK support if anyone has seen this. May be a defect in the throttle body.

Otherwise I dunno, perhaps there is an intermittent condition. You may have to instrument and record/freeze frame while driving with the new throttle body, see if you can catch whats going on. Perhaps record the OEM throttle body operation first.

Could the code be set when coasting? I don't think so, its only suppose to be monitored when idling but it may be simply using MAF low flow to signal an idle condition. Could the TB be restricting airflow enough to trick the PCM into thinking its an idle condition (or is air being bypassed around the MAF via something like a poor seal)? Just throwing out ideas. The only thing electrical in the TB seems to be the two position sensors and TB motor.

My FCM says monitoring for the fault occurs when the MAF, air temp, coolant temp, canister purge is within a certain range and no other DTCs are set. So if those thing are all within range of idle conditions, it seems to me it will set a fault because of high coasting RPMs. Perhaps the MAF is off calibration, reading low..... or is there a MAF sensor... I thought a MAP was used.. FSM typo?

Last edited: