2011 Ram 1500 4WD Problem Redux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Several of you fine folks tried to help me the 4WD issues I had with my '11 Big Horn, but it looks like I still do NOT have any front wheel movement.

Can someone out there confirm that:

1) when in 4WD, at least one of the front tires should be spinning when I gun it?
2) should i be punching the service manager in the teeth?

Please advise

dunney

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You are supposed to hit the service manager before they start working on your truck so they know you're serious about getting your truck fixed! By the time you go before the judge and bond out it will be fixed.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't understand the question, what do you mean should the front tire spin? If you are in a wet patch of gras, or ICE, then yes.. the front tire should be spinning. Do you have a video of what you're doing, so we can see what you're talking about?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its probably that Bw44-44 transfer case...

Haa,ha.. lol

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, no punching, no arrest, and still, no 4 wheel drive.

Yes, I mean when I'm on a patch of ice or my truck is stuck in the snow (frequent), when in ANY 4WD, I figured at least one front should spin. After sending it to a dealer for computer updates (the only reason I brought it to a dealer), a second transfer case motor and a wiring harness, I still do not have front tire power on the ground.

Ironically, with the truck in the air and the tires off the ground, when the truck is put in any 4wd mode, the fronts do spin. On the ground, not so much. When stuck on snow or ice and the gas pedal is mashed, the backs spin but nothing on either tire up front.

Since I can hear the actuator, uh, actuate when I put it in 4WD, I originally replaced the transfer case motor. I was never really sure if I fixed it because spring came and I forgot all about it. This winter however, the problem reared its ugly head again. I brought it to a dealer to see if it was a computer problem. They installed 3 computer updates, changed the transfer case motor again (they said the new one was melted) and the wiring harness (also melted) and I still have the same problem. It is back at the dealer right now, and they are saying its the clutch in the transfer case. I disagree and still think there is an electrical problem going to the little motor. When I have the truck on my lift off the ground, I had my girlfriend move the 4wd knob from 2wd to 4wdauto to 4wdlock to 4wd low. I removed the transfer case motor physically from the case but left it plugged in. The motor never moved when she switched between any of the 4wd modes.

Can someone with a 2011 1500 please confirm that the transfer case motor should move when you move the 4wd knob? Or at least confirm that you hear two sounds (actuator AND case motor) when you put in 4WD? I had someone do it with a 2010, but I guess it's a slightly different animal.

Thanks in advance.

dunney

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummons 6.7 Turbo Charged
I have a 2011 4wheel when I switch to auto 4 wheel I don't hear a thing the light blinks a few times then stays on. When I switch to 4 wheel lock again no noise from below but the yellow 4 wheel light kicks on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I need to have someone below to hear something when I switch it?

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know mine works fine tested it on ice in my driveway

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 4wheel when I switch to auto 4 wheel I don't hear a thing the light blinks a few times then stays on. When I switch to 4 wheel lock again no noise from below but the yellow 4 wheel light kicks on

Hey Hemiluv, thanks for looking into it.

Are you doing it with the truck running or off? With it on, you probably won't ear it.

With my truck off (but the key in the on position) and I put it into any 4wd, I can definitely hear the actuator in the front right of the truck (its on the front of the front axle). It makes a little whirring noise and then a click.

The transfer case motor I've never heard move, so I'm not sure how loud it is. Someone with a 2010 posted a video, and you could hear it (but the case or motor are different units). It's right under where you sit in the truck, so I imagine you would hear or feel something.

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer just called and is still saying clutch is burned out in transfer case, and the factory does not recommend testing the transfer case motor when not attached to the transfer case. So my question is:

How do I confirm the transfer case motor is working? Any other 2011 1500 owners that can see if they hear the case motor (not the actuator) move?

Hemiluv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Hemiluv, thanks for looking into it.

Are you doing it with the truck running or off? With it on, you probably won't ear it.

With my truck off (but the key in the on position) and I put it into any 4wd, I can definitely hear the actuator in the front right of the truck (its on the front of the front axle). It makes a little whirring noise and then a click.

The transfer case motor I've never heard move, so I'm not sure how loud it is. Someone with a 2010 posted a video, and you could hear it (but the case or motor are different units). It's right under where you sit in the truck, so I imagine you would hear or feel something.

Ok followed your advise left key on truck off and your right I can hear the motor no click at all though just like a servo motor when I got to 4wd lock I hear nothing at all though.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the NVG case but they are pretty similar in the ******* mechanisms I do believe. the encoder/motor should turn a small amount when activated as it needs to turn the shifting shaft that it is installed over.

with your truck, I would definatley believe the clutch issue as a burned clutch would possibly allow the tire to spin when they have nothing to stop them (when on the lift) but when they have the slightest resistance (even on ice there will be some resistance) the clutch is not applying enough pressure for them to turn. if you are rollling, you never see this.

I would suspect the factory does not recommend the operation of the shift motor outside from its installed location because it can cause it to be out of sync with the transfer case. IIRC when I installed my new motor I had to have the case in Neutral as the motor shipped to me in neutral. they definately cautioned me against using it, and also I would have had to manually shifted the truck to neutral with a pair of pliers on the shaft.

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Hemiluv and Pickupman. I'm going to have them go ahead and rebuild the transfer case. It sounds like I'll have to do that anyway. I'm still confused why I can't get that little motor to spin, but as long as they can get the truck to operate in 4wd under load, I'll take it.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Best advice to know if your truck is in 4wd Mode or not is have it in 4wd Lock

And drive it on DRY pavement in circles or very sharp turns at low speeds

Trust me you will know

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Bee,

I appreciate your advice, but driving my truck on dry pavement to see if I have four wheel drive does not help me one bit if I am stuck on a sheet of ice on my 45 degree driveway. If the front wheels work on a nice sunny day on dry pavement but do not work on my real world applications of snow and ice (i.e. putting the truck in 4WD Lock while stuck, getting out of the truck while in drive mode, and watching the rears spin and absolutely nothing happens in the front), I might as well get a Charles Manson **** tattoo on my forehead made out of Ford logos. My God does this truck suck. Where is that "How much do you hate your Dodge Truck" thread??? I do my best not to lose my ****. But the reality is, I was sold a lemon, and I just want to burn it to the ground and **** on the ashes.

The dealership said the next step is to rebuild/replace the transfer case, which is around 3 grand. HAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHH!!!!!! I got the truck back and will replace the case on my own with a used one for around 300. Not sure when that will happen. Right now, I'm plowing with 2 WD (and new Cooper AT3's which sure help), which is better than the open differential (i.e, ONE WHEEL DRIVE) the truck came with. How can it be legal to put 4WD badges on such a vehicle? What an absolute piece of garbage.

What I REALLY need is confirmation of how the transfer case motor works. Nobody here knows, and the dealership just lies in women behind the counter, and mechanics with broken English.

Next step - does anybody - ANYBODY - know a reputable Ram mechanic in New England?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my old nissan when I turned the knob to 4x4 the lights would blink until I actually rolled the truck forward or backwards a little bit then it would engage. Even when I took it out of 4x4 the light would blink again until I moved the truck so it would disengage then the light shut off. This may make sense if you take the actuator off the vehicle. With all that said, has anyone checked the switch on the dash to make sure it's ok? Also if you're plowing with it then there's a good chance the transfer case is bad as we all know plowing isn't easy on parts. Just some food for thought. I too have an 11 and hate using the "4auto". I bought mine used and is in great shape but when I use auto it has a clunk when it engages and I'm not too comfortable with that.

Last edited: