2011 Ram 1500 Plowing Traction Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello to all!

This is my first post here, so please take it easy on me. I need some help with my truck. I searched through several other threads but didn't find exactly the answer I was looking for.

I bought a 2011 4X4 used a couple years ago, because I need to haul, tow, and plow. The first two items it handles very well, but plowing, not so much. We live on a mountain up here in NH, so we get quite a bit of snow. I have tried adding 500 lbs of weight to the back (via sand and water ballast), bought new Goodyear Wrangler Tires last year, paved the driveway, and tried 4 wheel low, high, traction control on/off, tow on/off, and the truck is just anemic in the snow with the plow on.

It seems to me the biggest problem is that only one wheel spins when I'm in 4WD. I thought they solved this back in the '70s! I would like to add closed differential, and I read Matt at Moe's is the guy to contact. I will try to get in touch with him next, but since I believe they're located in TX, I'm not sure how much experience he'll have troubleshooting plowing issues.

Has anyone here had this issue while plowing? If you have any answers please post. And no, I still reject "Buy a Ford" as an acceptable answer before I have exhausted all solutions.

Thanks!

dunney:)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello to all!

This is my first post here, so please take it easy on me. I need some help with my truck. I searched through several other threads but didn't find exactly the answer I was looking for.

I bought a 2011 4X4 used a couple years ago, because I need to haul, tow, and plow. The first two items it handles very well, but plowing, not so much. We live on a mountain up here in NH, so we get quite a bit of snow. I have tried adding 500 lbs of weight to the back (via sand and water ballast), bought new Goodyear Wrangler Tires last year, paved the driveway, and tried 4 wheel low, high, traction control on/off, tow on/off, and the truck is just anemic in the snow with the plow on.

It seems to me the biggest problem is that only one wheel spins when I'm in 4WD. I thought they solved this back in the '70s! I would like to add closed differential, and I read Matt at Moe's is the guy to contact. I will try to get in touch with him next, but since I believe they're located in TX, I'm not sure how much experience he'll have troubleshooting plowing issues.

Has anyone here had this issue while plowing? If you have any answers please post. And no, I still reject "Buy a Ford" as an acceptable answer before I have exhausted all solutions.

Thanks!

Adding a limited slip should help quite a bit but you will still have one front tire spinning (essentially). You aren't going to find many opinions on here because not many people plow with 1500's with them not really being built for it.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The owners manual specifically says NOT to plow with a 1500.

You will break it.

Here's what my 2012 owners manual has to say about it:

SNOWPLOW
1500 Models Only

NOTE: Do not use this model vehicle for snowplow applications.

WARNING!
Snowplows and other aftermarket equipment should not be added to the front end of your vehicle. The airbag crash sensors may be affected by the change in the front end structure. The airbags could deploy unexpectedly or could fail to deploy during a collision resulting in serious injury or death.

CAUTION!
Using this vehicle for snowplow applications can cause damage to the vehicle.

WARNING!
Attaching a snowplow to this vehicle could adversely affect performance of the airbag system in a collision. Do not expect that the airbag will perform as described earlier in this manual

So, 2 warnings and a caution about the same thing on 1 page....think they wanted you to get the hint ???????

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The owners manual specifically says NOT to plow with a 1500.

You will break it.

Here's what my 2012 owners manual has to say about it:

SNOWPLOW
1500 Models Only

NOTE: Do not use this model vehicle for snowplow applications.

WARNING!
Snowplows and other aftermarket equipment should not be added to the front end of your vehicle. The airbag crash sensors may be affected by the change in the front end structure. The airbags could deploy unexpectedly or could fail to deploy during a collision resulting in serious injury or death.

CAUTION!
Using this vehicle for snowplow applications can cause damage to the vehicle.

WARNING!
Attaching a snowplow to this vehicle could adversely affect performance of the airbag system in a collision. Do not expect that the airbag will perform as described earlier in this manual

So, 2 warnings and a caution about the same thing on 1 page....think they wanted you to get the hint ???????
To me the airbag warning is BS, the 2500's have airbags but you can still plow with them.

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that is some funny a$$ ****.

I know that the trucks are a year apart (2011 vs 2012), but where in the manual does it say that, specifically what section/chapter? I find it disturbing that neither the dealer that sold me the truck nor the dealer that installed the plowing mechanism mentioned this, since both explicitly knew I was planning to plow with it. Car dealers lying? Go figure.

That said, has anyone on here installed an aftermarket differential for these beasts? How hard is it? Do I have to change out a front differential as well? I've swapped motors, trannies, rear ends, etc, but I've never actually taken the pumpkin apart.

Thanks again for the replies!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I know that the trucks are a year apart (2011 vs 2012), but where in the manual does it say that, specifically what section/chapter? I find it disturbing that neither the dealer that sold me the truck nor the dealer that installed the plowing mechanism mentioned this, since both explicitly knew I was planning to plow with it. Car dealers lying? Go figure.

That said, has anyone on here installed an aftermarket differential for these beasts? How hard is it? Do I have to change out a front differential as well? I've swapped motors, trannies, rear ends, etc, but I've never actually taken the pumpkin apart.

You can't do anything to the front, you are better off taking it to a dealer or differential shop to get the lsd installed because of the way the diff gear adjusters work on the corporate 9.25, setting the backlash isn't fun without the proper tools.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

page 563.............................

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No issues with my hokey little snowsport With no balast.My rams traction is far better when I had stock tires than my 99 f150 did.It does have LSD.It did real good with my AT tires last winter. IMG_0167_zps79a426d4.jpg

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems to me the biggest problem is that only one wheel spins when I'm in 4WD.

Well there's the problem ... Not being familiar with the 2011s a quick Internet search showed there appear to be two different transfer cases in that MY, one being of the dreaded 'auto on demand' variety. It might be the TC isn't even going into 4WD properly. Do you know what type you have ?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well there's the problem ... Not being familiar with the 2011s a quick Internet search showed there appear to be two different transfer cases in that MY, one being of the dreaded 'auto on demand' variety. It might be the TC isn't even going into 4WD properly. Do you know what type you have ?
The earliest truck I've seen with that case is a 2012, and that was a members friend of a friend that had it.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
add LSD then either run studded tires or chains

as for the manual saying not to run a plow it's mainly due to extra stress on the front end and the power steering being electronic. yes it will mess with the airbags simply due to the plow being there and it being solid preventing the front end from crushing enough to activate the sensors which you'll also have with the 2500s. there's also a slight chance you could activate the sensors by ramming the plow into snow which is something you should NEVER do anyway

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello to all!

Thanks!

problem #1 is plowing with a 1500. people do it, but the trucks just not made for it. you really need an HD truck, and preferably something with a solid front axle. HD chevies dont last long plowing either.

problem #2 is your tires. goodyear wrangler suck for traction just trying to drive in the snow, i can only imagine how horrible they are trying to push it. i would spend money on a good set of tires before opening up that rear for a limited slip. you may end up needing both, but i would start with the tires, imo.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
problem #2 is your tires. goodyear wrangler suck for traction just trying to drive in the snow, i can only imagine how horrible they are trying to push it. i would spend money on a good set of tires before opening up that rear for a limited slip. you may end up needing both, but i would start with the tires, imo.

honestly i'd go with LSD(locker would be better) before even thinking about tires. the best tires in the world won't do jack if only 2 of them are getting power. also no tires are really gonna grip on ice which is the biggest issue with plowing snow. you need to be able to grip the ice and for that you need something that can dig in which would be either studs or chains. even just chains on the rear will make a huge difference and they are pretty cheap

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
add LSD then either run studded tires or chains

as for the manual saying not to run a plow it's mainly due to extra stress on the front end and the power steering being electronic. yes it will mess with the airbags simply due to the plow being there and it being solid preventing the front end from crushing enough to activate the sensors which you'll also have with the 2500s. there's also a slight chance you could activate the sensors by ramming the plow into snow which is something you should NEVER do anyway
He has a 2011 which has the old style hydraulic power steering.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
honestly i'd go with LSD(locker would be better) before even thinking about tires. the best tires in the world won't do jack if only 2 of them are getting power. also no tires are really gonna grip on ice which is the biggest issue with plowing snow. you need to be able to grip the ice and for that you need something that can dig in which would be either studs or chains. even just chains on the rear will make a huge difference and they are pretty cheap

i cant speak for what the OP is plowing and what the laws are in his area but chains and studded tires are not an option around here. tires make a huge difference. my company has a few plow trucks. some have open diffs, some have limited slip. sure, limited slip is nice and i would say if you have the means to get it, go for it, but the trucks with the open rear do fine. the key is they all have good tires.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throwing this out there. I don't know the plow type, OP is using but is it set up right? How heavy is it how tall/wide is it. Correct size for truck.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He has a 2011 which has the old style hydraulic power steering.

ah right, then he really just needs to worry about the extra wear on the front end

i cant speak for what the OP is plowing and what the laws are in his area but chains and studded tires are not an option around here. tires make a huge difference. my company has a few plow trucks. some have open diffs, some have limited slip. sure, limited slip is nice and i would say if you have the means to get it, go for it, but the trucks with the open rear do fine. the key is they all have good tires.

laws vary a lot, they aren't legal around me either but they are in northern ontario and many of the other provinces. even if it is illegal if it's just a driveway he could still use chains as long as he removes them for public roads. it'd be a hassle sure but depending how often he has to plow it'll do the trick

problem is you will almost always get a nice layer of ice under the snow and you need to be able to dig into it to get any sort of traction. OP paving the driveway probably didn't help and if anything may have actually made things worse and on top of that using chains or studs will now just tear up his nice pavment.. if his driveway is on any sort of hill it'll also be a lot harder and he'll need to try and plow downhill as much as possible

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you so much for all the responses!

Last time I was under the truck, I think it said Borg Warner on the case, but that could've been the tranny itself. Is there a difference?

Also, chains and studs are out. We had the driveway paved, and I don't want to chew it up.

I'm going to call Moe's now and see what they say. I'm leaning towards the LSD because I just had the tires replaced, but you're right, I may need both. I will let you know the results. Thanks again!

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LSD is ordered from Moe's and on it's way.

Has anyone replaced one on 4th gen? How bad? Any tips?

OP
OP
D

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4 days in the garage later and the LSD is in. I posted tips in the tech section if you attempt to do it. Not sure if this will be the fix to my traction issues while plowing, but it sure feels like it. Might be the best $499 I ever spent. Matt at Moe's is GREAT.