2012 push button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxxotiknightz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So a few days ago I went with a friend to look at a new challenger for him. The push button apparently isn't a permanent piece, instead its and insert for the key connection. I was wondering if this would work on a ram?? I think it would be kick a$$ to make our trucks push button start.

zuiquan1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somebody already tried it on another forum. Said "dealer hooked him up" or something and said he didn't know what he did and wouldn't provide any proof. In the end the thread was locked but I believe the conclusion was its impossible as Challenger is low speed bus and Rams are high speed.

The parts fit though....you can buy the push button and just pretend lol

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Somebody already tried it on another forum. Said "dealer hooked him up" or something and said he didn't know what he did and wouldn't provide any proof. In the end the thread was locked but I believe the conclusion was its impossible as Challenger is low speed bus and Rams are high speed.

The parts fit though....you can buy the push button and just pretend lol

If it can be done in a 3rd gen, it shouldn't be too different. ;)

It would simply be like a 4th gen with remote start, and it also has a button inside that does push start.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It would be cool, but don't you need a key fob that transmits so that the push button works?

zuiquan1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know theres a sensor in the FOB, and if you can get it close enough to the ignition you can almost start the damn thing without even putting it in. (lol)

Maybe remove the sensor from the fob and mount it in the key hole, and by the 10 dollar pushbutton starter......if you get the sensor close enough and turn the ignition it will start. Theres no actual "key" that starts the truck.

hmmm....might be something worth looking into.

LoadedLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The push button is part of the keyless access package. Our jeep has that and it's a full security package. The vehicle has to have the system to detect the key in the vehicle or near it to unlock.. That's a package that is not available in the rams as they run a completely different system for there security.

I gotta say, I love that system on our jeep and it's one thing I see them converting to the ram in the coming years. It comes on most new GC's and is super easy to operate and customize.

Also; the Pushbuttons Pop out for an emergent if your fob battery is dead so it turns into the dames system the rams have. The actually pushbutton has pins in it that connect and start the vehicle, I've looked in the key Hole in my truck and it does NOT have the pins inserts.

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
They have changed that then. You used to be able to get a few miles down the road without the FOB around the vehicle at all.

The concept is neat, but would you rather have a pushbutton start or the ability to start your truck from your office 3000 feet away over a 3G cell connection? Don't know about you, but I'm picking the remote start option.

LoadedLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive read articles about people using the bluetooth systems in the RER's to amplify the signal strength and have been known to start from as far away as 8 miles but i have no clue how they did it. yes, i agree an app remote start would be sweet! along with climate control adjustabily so its perfect when you get in if you didnt have them set before.