2012 cummins wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alop23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just dropping this here to see what help i can get from your expertise. I bought a 2012 ram 2500 from the auction. Supposedly it was hit by lighting. The truck came with keys but theres no signal to open the doors when i put the key fob into the ignition nothing happens before it would open the dash but it does not anymore. I managed to turn it on using another fuse box and ignition module from a same year truck and it gave me one start. Using my ignition module and fuse box i tried it on the other truck and it turned it on too. Also i have bought a pair of batteries and in one week they drained without even opening the doors on the truck. Can someone please suggest any help i dont want to get ripped off by the diesel mechanics in my area unless it is my last option.

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to get back to basics....Charge up the batteries. What happens when you try to start it...does the dash lights come on etc. Does the engine crank? Are there any codes present? Without these basic steps nobody can provide you with any troubleshooting ideas. There is a big different between a crank/no start condition and a no crank condition etc.

OP
OP
A

Alop23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi frisk, when i turn the key the dash does not light up theres no start and no crank. No codes because everytime i try to plug the reader to the obd2 theres no signal coming to the obd2. I did checked and theres is continuity from the cables going to the plug and there is a positive charge going to the ond2 as well but when i try to read the codes it just gives me an error

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Do you have anything electrical that comes on, radio, EVIC,? Does the hood light even come on when you lift it, the lightening could have fried a ground connection.

OP
OP
A

Alop23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good idea let me check the grounds. The radio would come on before the dash would actually light up but now nothing is working and the batteries are new. The light inside the cab lights up when i open ther door.