2012 Ram 2500 4x4 all four brakes dragging. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highcountry69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello everyone. I've got a brake problem on my 2012 2500 4x4 crewcab that the dealer could not( or would not) diagnose, and I'm hoping someone on here can help. About 3 weeks ago I started hearing a loud whistling/humming noise as I was driving. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the truck. The noise was loudest at 35 mph, and faded out completely at higher speeds. Upon initial search, I felt the rotors and all four were extremely hot. I pulled the rear tires and with the rear end off the ground, truck in neutral, I could barely spin the rotors. It took all I had just to move them a couple inches. This was equal on both sides, did not do the same test with the front at that time, though I should have, as they were equally as hot. I checked the fluid level, it was good. At this point, I took it to the dealer because it is still under warranty. After two weeks the dealer wants to change out the rotors and the parking brake shoes which of course are not covered on the warranty because they are considered "wear" parts. To me this was a bogus diagnosis and I declined the service because I knew I did not need those parts. The problem seems to me to be with the fluid pressure as at least two, if not four of the brakes are dragging at the same time. Wouldn't this lean towards the components that control fluid pressure distribution? Anyway, I'm out a diagnostic fee( which I believe I should not have had to pay, but did) and a $600/mo truck that I can't drive. I am at a loss as what to do next, as apparently the "pros" at the dealer can't help. I'm pretty good with a wrench, so I can fix it myself if I can just find the root of the problem. Has anyone on here heard of or had this problem before, and how'd you fix it? TIA

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be the guide pins on the calipers. If you want through and mud or muck or salt and didn't rinse them good they could get stuck and when the brake pressure releases the caliper doesn't slide back. Happened on a car I had. Hopefully you haven't smoked the rotors yet if they are dragging bad. Try pulling the tires and calipers and check the guide pins and give them a good greasing. May need to rough up the brake pads as they will glaze from the heat. If it doesn't fix it then at least you didn't spend to much money on buying stuff to fix an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May be the brake master cylinder. It would have to be something up the line that applies to all four brakes.

OP
OP
H

highcountry69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks crazykid1994. It may just come down to me going through the entire system and checking every component individually. I do go through mud almost daily, but I still find it hard to believe that would cause the same problem to all four brakes at the same time, but you never know! Lol

OP
OP
H

highcountry69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks MEchase, that's kinda what I'm leaning towards too, just looking for some second opinions.