2012 RAM Crew Cab Sport 5.7L/65RFE Transmission - Will Not Shift Out Of First Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello - I am new to this forum so if this is posted in the wrong category please forgive my newbie mistake.

I have a 2102 RAM Sport that will not shift out of 1st gear. Here's the story - and what has been done up to this posting:

Ram went to body shop to have driver side rear door repaired/replaced where someone had backed into it. Prior to this there have never been any symptoms to indicate the problems. The truck was operating perfectly when I dropped it off. 11 days later the body shop calls and says the truck is ready to pick up. I get in the truck to leave and it goes into reverse fine. Place it in drive and the 'D' indicator lights up - however, as soon as the truck moves forward it drops to 1st and will not shift. Back to the body shop to discuss with them what could possibly have happened while it was in their shop which would cause this problem. They said all they did was body work - which involved the following:
1 - remove the the driver side rear door to replace it with a new door shell. (All original parts and wiring from the old door were installed in the new door.)
2 - Removed the bed from the truck so they could blend the paint on the cab corner to ensure good color match. (This involved disconnecting the electrical harness at the rear of the bed.)

The truck was towed to a local Dodge dealer where they diagnosed and did the following:
1 - Suspected the transmission valve body was at fault. Replaced the valve body test drove it. They said it shifted thru 4th and then the problem continued.
2 - The service rep said they suspected the PCM - which they installed their test PCM - they said it worked fine so they would order a PCM.
3 - I talked to the body shop the next day expecting to hear that the truck would be ready to pick up soon. Not happening - the service rep at Dodge said it has to be the TIPM - so a TIPM was ordered and installed yesterday (3/31).
4 - Body shop called - said truck was ready - so I went to Dodge to pick it up. Cranked it, placed it in drive - YES - it works! Drive it 24 miles in traffic, interstate and stop and go bad weather without a problem. I was happy...
5 - April 1st (Day of Fools!) This morning I loaded up camp gear and tools to head north to spend the weekend working a project. Started down the road and had gone no further than 100 yards and it was stuck in first gear - again! I go back home and fret and fume for a bit.
6 - About a block from my house is the local AAMCO - I am friends with the owner so I talk with him about the issue. He immediately says it sounds like an electrical problem. He says to bring it over and he will look at the wiring and run scans on the RAM to see what comes up. Up on the rack did not reveal any bad connectors, kinks in wiring or other visible issues at the transmission.
7 - Scan 1 revealed NO CODES with transmission.
8 - Scan 2 revealed no codes with engine system.
9 - Scan 3 revealed only one code: B1644 - Central Gateway Code - Right Left Turn Control Circuit High.
10 - The scan computer was set up to monitor signal from PCM going to transmission and the truck was driven don the road. My friend said the transmission is doing exactly what the PCM is telling it to do - stay in 1st. He said the transmission is fine - and likely the valve body was not the problem in the first place.
11 - we checked all related fuses in the TIPM to make sure non were blown.
12 - My friend ran the "Quick Learn" tool on the truck to see if that would resolve anything (The battery had been disconnected the day before when the TIPM was replaced. Although I had driven it 23 miles he decided there was no harm in doing it. No change in the problem.
13 - As a last effort, the battery was disconnected for about a minute and reconnected. Started the truck and still doing the same thing.

I am not sure what to do next. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for your time!

Kenny

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I have no input for you but I'll be following to see the outcome.

Good luck.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did your friend at the AMCCO shop physically disconnect those connectors and reconnect them? It still sounds like an electrical issue to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Ken001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did your friend at the AMCCO shop physically disconnect those connectors and reconnect them? It still sounds like an electrical issue to me.

We did not disconnect anything when we looked at it. We think it is electrical issue as well - just not sure what started the cascade. The body shop got in touch with me and they will likely be picking it up Monday to start round 2 on troubleshooting. Fingers crossed!

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Only reason I ask is it might be possible that when they reconnected that plug under the bed that maybe they might have bent a pin. If they disconnect it, have them put some dielectric grease in it, it will keep the water out and it's a good idea to do that to any plug you disconnect outside of the cab. Good luck!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with this ^^^. Makes sense since there were no issues until it went to the body shop.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Did they do any welding on the truck? Sometimes that will fry stuff.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
^ like he said. Did they do any welding? I've heard of improperly grounded welding frying computers--not a diagnosis, just something to think consider.

OP
OP
K

Ken001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It has been a long week already and only halfway through it. The truck is back in the shop - been there since Monday and I have not hear anything from them. There wasn't any welding done to the truck - it was a "simple" door replacement.

On Monday I talked with the service rep at Dodge to let him know about the diagnostic results from AAMCO. I suggested that the focus shift from the transmission (haha - fitting here) to external controls. Use the KISS method - (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and not over analyze. The big question is - what is telling the computer to tell the transmission to stay in first gear and not shift? Not sure what has been done to the truck since then. I did, however, find out that I was fed mistaken information when the shop said they had swapped the PCM during troubleshooting. The only module swapped - and then replaced is the TIPM.

I will update when I know more. I think this problem has them scratching their heads. And as far as I know - the shop has not looked at any possible wiring issues that may have resulted from removing the bed or door with power window and door lock. In my 30+ years experience with electronic systems, a bad ground or open circuit can wreak havoc on electronic controlled systems.

OP
OP
K

Ken001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here it is Friday and the truck is still at the shop. The service rep said they identified the problem and are awaiting the replacement part to finalize repairs. After I discussed with the shop to think outside the box they determined that a sensor in the shifter that controls the auto stick function was bad. This was determined by installing the shifter assembly from another truck and testing the function. The rep said this is the problem and an entire shifter assembly has been ordered since the piece-parts to the assembly are not available. The part is supposed to be in on Tuesday so I am hoping I get the truck back that afternoon. Fingers crossed!