2013 1500 V6.....yea or nay???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on doing ZERO performance mods. I also don't tow anything.....unless I buy an ATV. But thats light.

Sounds like the V6 would be fine for you then. Hell, my last Ram was a 2006 with the 4.7, and the new V6 will beat the hell out of that.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get whats right for you and your family if you have one. Honestly, unless you need to tow, haul or mod, any engine will do the job. And you can still cosmetically mod the V6 truck. Sure, the Hemi would be fun and fast and there are times I'd like one, but I don't /need/ it.

The hemi might be what all the cool kids have LOL....But any Ram looks cooler than those other trucks LOL

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only input would be... if you need a truck then you need a V-8. If you want a truck because you my some day go to the store and buy something and need the bed to haul it then buy a car and pay the delivery fees.

Just my .02

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My only input would be... if you need a truck then you need a V-8. If you want a truck because you my some day go to the store and buy something and need the bed to haul it then buy a car and pay the delivery fees.

Just my .02

There's also the folks that just like the look and driving trucks better than cars. I hate sitting low in a car.

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
There's also the folks that just like the look and driving trucks better than cars. I hate sitting low in a car.

I just love trucks. I rented a Ram 1500 and it was definitely a V6 and that was back in 2011. I loved the truck.

The decision to get a Hemi..........yeah I am probably going to get a Hemi. Why? Because I do like power.

I honestly think I will test drive both the 2013 Hemi and the 2013 V6 and see the difference. If the difference is marginal then the V6 it will be. If I feel like the Hemi is so much more power then I will most likely go with the Hemi. I just gotta test them both out and compare.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just love trucks. I rented a Ram 1500 and it was definitely a V6 and that was back in 2011. I loved the truck.

The decision to get a Hemi..........yeah I am probably going to get a Hemi. Why? Because I do like power.

I honestly think I will test drive both the 2013 Hemi and the 2013 V6 and see the difference. If the difference is marginal then the V6 it will be. If I feel like the Hemi is so much more power then I will most likely go with the Hemi. I just gotta test them both out and compare.

Well, the Hemi will feel like a lot more power, so if you want the V6 don't drive the Hemi, lol.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
My V6 pentastar in my jeep is fantastic.
16 in town with heavy bumpers lift and tires.
Mine is a 2012 and tuned with a diablo and to be honest it's more peppy than I thought.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Yeah i like my v6, I have 34.6x11.8 inch tires, i get 19 MPG, city and highway combined. I have a 4.5 inch lift too. Power is good i have the 3.55 ratio, runs a 8.4 0-60 which i thought was good with those tires. And to put it in perspective, my 2007 4x4 RCSB with a 4 inch lift and the same tires with the 4.7 v8 ran a 10.2 0-60. The crazy part is how it makes this much power because when you open the hood it looks like a toaster.

rod knocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
if ya have the money I guess I bought the new 2015 ram eco turbo diesel n love the torqe n the fuel milage getting around 25mpg combined city/hiway wont out run a hemi but has more torqe n pulling power either way is a good option I am surprised how peppy n quite the eco is

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a '14 Regular cab v6 4WD. And I am pretty surprised at the power of the engine. I do have the 8 speed transmission also. You put your foot to the floor and the truck will move with no problems what so ever. I see about 20mpg combined. My highway driving is done about 75mph usually. I have dont a little towing and did not even know the trailer was there. (Nothing major, like a 10ft trailer with furniture.)

The newer v6 like my truck has is rated around 305hp give or take.

stricnine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go EcoDiesel if you are really looking for a truck with good mpgs.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Old thread but I figured I'd go ahead and vouch for the Pentastar...

2015 Crew Cab 2WD with the 3.21 gears has plenty of pep for me. My two most recent trucks are a 98 GMC with a 350 and an 07 Titan. Those things were torque monsters. The Pentastar feels different than driving those more traditional truck engines, but I never feel lacking for power in day to day driving with the 8 speed in the mix.

As for mileage, I've gotten up to 26 mpg (mostly 45-50 mph), but more often than not I'm between 22-24 mpg mostly highway. If it's mostly city I will see more like 18-19 mpg.

Sent from that one place.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Old thread being renewed I guess. I'll put a plug in for the Pentastar, I have 22486 kms since buying new in April. Great gas milage but again, if you put your foot into it for long periods it will suck gas. If you're not towing anymore than 7000 lbs the v6 will work just fine. The Hemi stock has 90 more BHP then the v6 and a lot more torque, that comes at a cost in fuel consumption. The technology gone into the combo of Pentastar and 8 spd tranny is truly amazing. Like others have said before in this thread, this v6 equals or betters the power of older v8's. Ok it don't sound or put you back in your seat like a Hemi, but while travelling with a buddy that has the Hemi I passed gas stations he had to pull into. Bigger is not always better, lol

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I looked at an express with the hemi/8speed/3.92 combo, and it was fun as hell to drive. The only thing that got me is with the purchase of a new truck, I plan on keeping it at least until its paid off or under 5K. I went with the v6 due to the the power it provides and the fuel mileage. I also feel like the v6 will last longer because I do not have the need to put my foot in it all the time like I would the hemi. I too average between 22 and 24 miles per gallon, but i average this during a two week period driving back and forth to work and such each day. I took a 500 mile road trip and got a little over 25 for the whole trip.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
averaging 20.9 lifetime with the old 14 Sport and the new R/T and it does not have the 6. Does not matter what I purchase , it will come equipped with the largest engine available at the time ie SRT 6.4 GT500 5.4s/c 1500 5.7 yada yada. I prefer heavy metal over the Boston Philharmonic.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the 3.6 is a great engine. just wish it had more torque. the hemi will still get good mpg if you baby it like I do. and even if you don't youd be surprised. my wife took my 2010 5 speed 4x4 crew cab with 3.92 rearend fully loaded from Oklahoma to Washington and averaged over 19mpg and were ill drive 55-60 :baby: to get the best mpg she does 70-80 because she is always in a hurry lol :crazy:. also another thing to consider is virtually no one keeps there vehicle forever, a hemi, even though will cost more upfront, will also sell for more aswell. and if your worried about people looking down on you for having a v6...90% of people will never know. a v6 for a daily driver will do fine, it will haul/and tow. it would do fine moving your friends broken civic around :favorites13: