2013 ac issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Long time no see guys. Got a bit of an issue with my ac that I've been putting off for a while and need to finally tackle. The issue is with the blower motor and/or relay. I start the truck and the ac runs fine but by the time I get to work, even on high, the air is barely being blown out. This sounds horrible but smacking the motor just under the passenger side dash makes it instantly turn on and blow hard again....until I go over a bump, stop to quickly someone bumps under the dash etc, then it starts slowing down and and not working.

Would you think it's just the blower motor and something came lose? Or blower motor is going bad? Relay is going bad? Both? Need to order parts and trying to figure out if I need to replace everything or just one part. Or maybe I'm completely off on my diagnosis. What do you guys/gals think?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My vote would be blower motor failing or something loose. I also never rule out the nest of a mouse or chipmunk. I 've seen that before in cars that didn't sit for long periods of time either. A motivated rodent can pack a lot of crap in a heater box in a day's time. My wife's Journey had a blockage in the drain for the a/c once and filled with water until the squirrel cage was spinning in water when you turned a corner! Sounded like a boat propeller. I blew air in it from under the car with the compressor and cleared the blockage which drained at least 2 gallons of water. It doesn't help that the drain tube has 2 90's before it ends under the car.

OP
OP
T

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Yeah no rodent problems here, and the most it ever sits is over night in the driveway.

69mach1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Long time no see guys. Got a bit of an issue with my ac that I've been putting off for a while and need to finally tackle. The issue is with the blower motor and/or relay. I start the truck and the ac runs fine but by the time I get to work, even on high, the air is barely being blown out. This sounds horrible but smacking the motor just under the passenger side dash makes it instantly turn on and blow hard again....until I go over a bump, stop to quickly someone bumps under the dash etc, then it starts slowing down and and not working.

Would you think it's just the blower motor and something came lose? Or blower motor is going bad? Relay is going bad? Both? Need to order parts and trying to figure out if I need to replace everything or just one part. Or maybe I'm completely off on my diagnosis. What do you guys/gals think?

My fan blower was shot at 75k miles, it worked but made noise at low speeds. I took out the motor and the end play was like a 1/4", put in a new motor and presto all quiet and better high speed performance :favorites13:

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd first unplug the connectors and check for any kind of gung that may have built up. Given that you can give it a wack and it'll start back up sounds like the motor isn't shot as it wouldn't start back up if it was.

dunney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Given you're out in the desert, you're going to have to find out where that motor is first.

Might as well clean the contacts, and seem if it helps.

Not sure if the newer motors are brushes or inductive, but you might be able to clean it out with a lil' bit of elbow grease, son.....