2013 Ram 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Long time lurker finally bit the bullet and made a screenname because I recently purchased a 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4. I'll post pictures tomorrow...I can't stop going out to the carport to look at it.

I have a few quick questions about maintenance. The truck has 102k on it and really looks to be in great condition. It has the 5.7/8 speed and is leveled on 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. It also has the Mopar CAI and exhaust.

I purchased the truck as a 3rd (well really 4th...we have an off-road oriented 1995 YJ that doesn't get driven much) vehicle to tow a 20 foot travel trailer (3500 lbs) and take on trips with the wife, dog, and cat. I plan on removing the leveling kit, replacing the airdam on the front bumper, going back to stock sized tires, and replacing the chewed up front fender liners...aka bringing it back to mostly stock for MPGs and towing performance.

Maintenance wise, I am planning on doing the following (and staggering them because of $):

1. F/R Diff Fluid
2. Transmission & Transfer case fluid
3. Coolant drain and fill
4. Brake job F/R (rattley front brakes anyways)
5. Edited to say spark plugs w/ the mopar 100k mile iridium plug

Are there any other areas you guys know of that are problem-prone and require a closer-than-normal look? Or preventative maintenance I've missed?

I love the forum and look forward to being a frequent contributor...not just a question asker!

Thanks a ton!

h27mqfY.jpg
nbcR9X5.jpg

Final edit to say I am not a good photographer!

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Congratulations on the new to you.

I don't know if this is true but something you should be aware of and investigate. I've read that the coil packs used on the engine are designed to support certain types of plugs. I believe sometime during 2013 production, RAM switched the spark plugs over to the iridiums. The only way to know what your truck has is to pull a plug. If you have standard plugs, then your coil packs will not support iridium plugs. Again, this is what I've read in RAM forums and when I replaced the plugs ion my 2013 (built March 2013) it had the standard copper plugs.

Also, if this is your first Hemi, and a lot of first-timers are surprised by this, each cylinder has two spark plugs.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You won't be disappointed if you do all the things in your list. Like said about, check your plugs before buying new ones. My old '13 Laramie had standard plugs that are changed every 30k miles. You'll need two extensions and a knuckle to get the last two closest to the firewall on the drivers side as they're blocked by the brake booster.

While you're at it replace the serp belt and check the exhaust manifold bolts for any broken. Common problem on Hemi's.

Most people I know that tow with a Ram wind up replacing the rear sway bar with a Hellwig. It's much stiffer than the stock ************* which equates to significantly less sway. At least it does for me and I tow a 27' travel trailer.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The front brakes probably rattle because the former mechanic who did the brakes most likely discarded the spring clips between the carrier and the actual pads. The spring clips keep them from rattling and also retract them from the rotors. Make sure you or the next brake repair guy get them and install them. They should come with the pads or if not, you can buy them off ebay.
Carlson P1084 Front Disc Brake Hardware Kit

I did my brakes last weekend. Mine were missing too and I had to buy some.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deleted (duplicate post)

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front brakes probably rattle because the former mechanic who did the brakes most likely discarded the spring clips between the carrier and the actual pads. The spring clips keep them from rattling and also retract them from the rotors. Make sure you or the next brake repair guy get them and install them. They should come with the pads or if not, you can buy them off ebay.
Carlson P1084 Front Disc Brake Hardware Kit

I did my brakes last weekend. Mine were missing too and I had to buy some.

Great advice, thank you sir.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't be disappointed if you do all the things in your list. Like said about, check your plugs before buying new ones. My old '13 Laramie had standard plugs that are changed every 30k miles. You'll need two extensions and a knuckle to get the last two closest to the firewall on the drivers side as they're blocked by the brake booster.

While you're at it replace the serp belt and check the exhaust manifold bolts for any broken. Common problem on Hemi's.

Most people I know that tow with a Ram wind up replacing the rear sway bar with a Hellwig. It's much stiffer than the stock ************* which equates to significantly less sway. At least it does for me and I tow a 27' travel trailer.

Thanks a ton!