2013 ram 1500 power steering problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmer1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2013 ram power steering problems, Ok so I guess I'm not the only one with this problem just last Friday I had the same problem .the only difference was that I was getting on the hwy it locked on me ,I went off the ditch bent my bumper and broke some other things . I'm feeling like I just bought my own casket my own funeral . I toke it to the dealer but they can't do anything there is no codes like give me a break . So I left and hoping it doesn't come back because im driving my kids in it the wife wont get in she is scared. I don't blame her she just finished coming off a roll over . So anyways I read up on another post it was the power steering module.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Electric power steer was supposed to be a huge improvement--don't you just love how adding technology only adds cost to maintain and repair?

Sorry about your troubles.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Man thats scary I thought there was still a mechanical link? Maybe not either way that sucks.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It locked?
Its just a rack and pinion with a little electric motor assisting it. Should still work manually if the motor fails, although it will take a little muscle.

Is it possible the parking lock somehow engaged?

Last edited:

bigq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree I don't even think that is possible. The default is manual steering. If the control unit senses any issues it will actually deactivate the electronic assist and alert the driver. Looked into this when i purchased the Mustang that has electric assist.

Be careful whatever it is.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you get a CHP report? I would get the CHP involved and see if they can't put it in a report. They are helpful in investigating this type of stuff. If the dealership didn't fix it after that and something else happened, that would be their ass too.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Wow scary.

$miley

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard it's the computer module located on the steering rack that's the issue.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Did your truck shut off? Most electric units are power assisted. Assisted being that key word. Most units go to a default mode where it's purely your strength turning the wheel. I've had them go out in other cars and it is VERY hard to turn the wheel. Not so much at higher speeds but definitely lower. Effect is around the same if the truck isn't running but the truck is moving.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had this same issue except i was just getting in my truck. Backed out went into drive and it went out that fast. No warning no nothing.