2013 Ram won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raragle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Looking for help. 2013 2500 diesel with keyless ignition won't start. No issues or symptoms prior. Used remote start, it started, then it shut off. Got in the truck to start it, pushed the button, only got a click. All lights, displays, nav systems are on. Voltage good on digital display.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Looking for help. 2013 2500 diesel with keyless ignition won't start. No issues or symptoms prior. Used remote start, it started, then it shut off. Got in the truck to start it, pushed the button, only got a click. All lights, displays, nav systems are on. Voltage good on digital display.

Click tells me battery. I will load test the batteries. 3 years is all you'll probably get out of a battery If your in extreme heat or extreme cold. If the plates melt together you'll still get good voltage unroll you draw a load on it.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
With these newer trucks, there's a few more things that can cause a no start, and a few more on top of that with the diesels.

If you're getting a starter click, then the vehicle sees all inputs & info as valid and good to go. At that point it should be narrowed down to battery, cables, starter, and even possibly module / wiring. Sounds like a lot, but pretty safe to say pcm & engine sensors, Def, scr cat are not inhibiting anything. Best advice is try a decent charge or jump start.

Clearjab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 laramie crew cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quite recently I had the same issue though it was a 09 and gas instead of diesel the symptoms were the same it just turned out to be a battery on the last stretch of its life... the battery was no longer able to deliver the required amps to start the truck however it had enough juice to keep everything else working... battery output was about 730 when it should be something like 935 while cranking or something like that... that produced a single click but no engine crank

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I just had to replace both my batteries.

Are you getting a what you think it a pretty good CLICK and nothing else.. Like the starter is clicking on by the flywheel is stucK?

I had that. I tried to roll the truck back and forth a few time as well thinking it was that cause it sounded like it had power. Just one CLICK/CLANK sound..

Your truck is preventing damage to the system. It knows you have no amperage to start - so you get a click and it disengages the starter.

Jump it, you'll find it will start.

Voltage is NOT the key here. It's amperage.

Nosnhoj kcir

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to thank those of you who posted about this issue. My truck just did this very thing Friday night. I searched online and was led to this forum. Took my battery and had it checked and it was bad. New battery and the truck fired right up. I am glad I read this string, it saved me a lot of hair pulling, time and likely money. Thanks