2013 versus 2014 Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
Hello, I'm new to the forum. In the next month or so I am planning on purchasing a new '13 Power Wagon. I've been reading recent reports on some of the updates that will occur to the new '14 2500s and I'm intrigued. I'm a little hesitant on waiting for the '14 due to the fact that the 5.7 L Hemi is a tried and tested product, whereas the 6.4 L Hemi (which will come standard on the Power Wagon supposedly) will be totally new to the 2500 platform. Sure it will have more torque and power, but what about long term reliability and MPG? I also understand the basics behind behind the new coiled spring rear suspension, but I've read a lot of people not liking the suspension when pulling loads in their 1500 model. Those people feel that the rear leaf suspension in other pickups sag less and have more control then the rear coiled suspension in their 1500 model. I would assume this would also be the case with the new '14 2500 suspension if that's how Ram engineered it in the 1500 model. Overall, I'm afraid to wait for the '14 Power Wagon because I know the '13 Power Wagon is based off of a tried and true model and I can't afford to have break downs during my long distance trips. Could you offer some advice and different points of view if I should wait or not for the '14 model? Anybody know how long it will be until I received a '14 model if I placed an order soon?

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the difference in power between the 5.7 and 6.4 there really isn't much of a difference between hp and tq (around 20 for each one give or take a few to the best of my knowledge). So IMO, unless the 6.4 engine is actually stronger than they're advertising right now, it'd be best to get the 5.7 and just drop a couple hundred dollars to mod it slightly and match the power

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am pretty sure the 6.4L is just at 5.7L bored out. So it is basically the same motor. Also, I think the 6.4 has forged internals (please correct me if I'm wrong as I am not positive). The power difference isn't earth shattering, not sure how the power curves compare. I would tend to believe the 6.4 would respond better to mods.

On paper, the new coils in the rear should be better than the leaf springs. But in real world, I have also heard of the coils not handling load very well. The should provide better flex for the Power Wagon (along with the new joints in the front). But honestly, my truck rides sweet. And unless I was going to be making it a hard core rock crawler, it provides more flex then I will need.

I do like to see they are still putting in the R&D to make design changes to the line up. But there is not enough yet to even make me think about getting out of my '12. I am sure you could get a better deal on a '13, especially because of the 6.4 and coils coming out on the '14.

You should really check out the Power Wagon Registry forum, there is a thread on there talking about all this stuff already.

Either way, I am sure you will love your truck.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are they really putting the coil springs in the power wagon? I havent heard that, I wouldnt want one if the did... but I wouldnt think the 6.4 would be an issue, its just new to the trucks

OP
OP
W

Wildcard

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
Thanks for the replies :) TXKID, yeah that is what I was thinking too as far adding more power to the 5.7 L, since the 5.7L already has a lot of aftermarket components out already. If my memory serves me correctly, whenever a new engine or other component comes out, it takes aftermarket parts companies a while to come out with products...so it could be another year before 6.4 L engines will have aftermarket parts available.
Dogcar3, nice Power Wagon, and I see we have the same color preferences! I'm also having a hard time between the Silver and Gray colors. Yeah the power curves could be another deciding factor in my decision. I'm assuming we will see a flatter torque curve at higher RPMs. I'm still a little scared to buy a new developed engine (since it isn't exactly the same ones used in the cars recently) Although anecdotal, my family has been buying Dodge/Ram pickups since the '70s and always had good luck with the 318 engines. Once they bought pickups with the 360 engines, they all had problems. I just don't want to see that with the 5.7 L vs 6.4 L. As far as the leaf springs go, I think Ram knows they are better for pulling loads as they will be keeping them in the 3500 model next year. I will be potentially using the pickup for pulling more than I would in extreme off road conditions (considering the coils are better in off road situations). The coils might provide a better ride, but like you, I already like the ride...and if I want a softer ride, I'll by some adjustable Rancho shocks and put them on the lowest setting haha! I just can't sacrifice the toughness and endurance of the current leaf spring technology.
TexasRammer, yeah, I have read in a couple of sources that they will be using the the rear coils with the Power Wagon. I'm assuming they believe it will be better during off road driving, and if someone pulls a lot, they can buy the 3500, or buy the air bags in the 2500. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the new 6.4 L is the same size as the 6.4 L used in the cars, but the size is the only thing that is the same. I read somewhere that it is a totally different built engine for the Ram platform as it will be better for pulling etc. vs racing.
Anyone have any predictions as for what the 6.4 L might get for highway MPG with the Power Wagon's 4.56 gears? I heard people are currently getting around 15 MPG on highway currently. The 6.4 L, although bigger and likely requiring more fuel, will have the technology to shut off unneeded cylinders while not under load...I'm not sure if the 5.7 L in the 2500 platform currently does that...I know it does in the 1500 platform and cars for sure though.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
I previously owned a 2005 PowerWagon. The older Hemi was under powered for a 3/4 ton truck. The newer 5.7 Hemi would be better. I too believe the 6.4 numbers we are seeing today are understated. I believe actual "seat of the pants" will provide a much stronger pulling platform than a 5.7.

Mileage? I did good to see 14-15 on the highway. My 1500 Hemi, QC 4x4 w/ 3.92, I consistently get 19.5-19.8 on the highway. I would expect the 6.4 to get around 14-15 highway and 12-13 in town. What the heck? It's a big engine for pulling. Have you ever looked at the mileage a Chevy 8.1 gets?

As for pulling and coil springs. The new PW will have air bags. That is good. Backed up with a heavy duty stabilizer I don't seen any towing issues

I plan on buying a 2014 2500 6.4 in a year or two. I'll skip the PW this time and just get the heavy duty version of the 2500. If I want a locker I'll get a Detroit and source a used axle from a diesel, (Yes they are different).

UPNO4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie , 2023 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8spd, 6.7 CTD
I have been pulling loads for a long time and I have to say I can't believe how well the Coils do in my new 1500. I was extremely hesitant and researched options for helping out the coils. I pulled a 7500 # Enclosed about 700 miles and was completely satisfied. I was so curious of how it did that I even pulled it over the scales before I unloaded to see what was up because it barely was less than level loaded. Found that it had 1500 #'s of tongue weight. Yeah like I said I am overly impressed with it's ability. All trucks squat when loaded and the newer Leafs are made as much for ride quality as the coils are. It is just as easy if not easier to build in Progressive load ability into a Coil as it is in to Leafs. And if the truck comes with Air assist thats just a bonus. And if Air Bags are required you probably needed them for the leaf spring trucks as well.

That's my opinion take it or leave it.

OP
OP
W

Wildcard

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
Whatroads, that is exactly what I was predicting with the 6.4's MPG as well. Basically you would be paying an extra $1500 for an 6.4 L engine that has more torque and power than the 5.7 L, but has the same MPG. Even if the 6.4 L could 1 more MPG, it would still take 3-5 years to pay off the $1500 in saved gas money.
Thanks for the input UPNO4. That is reassuring to positive feedback from towing with the 4th generation 1500s, and makes the decision a little more difficult :). One thing I would like to mention is the history of coil spring rear suspension in the years past. My friends have salvaged and restored many Chevy and GMC trucks from the late '60s and early '70s. The late '60s model 3/4 Chevy pickups had a coil spring rear suspension while the late '60s 3/4 GMC had a leaf spring rear suspension. They said that even when the trucks didn't have much age on them, the GMCs pulled heavy loads MUCH better and stood the test of time. But on the other side, the Chevys rode better while unloaded. That's just an isolated experience, and I know the engineers at Ram will have the advantage of new technology and differences of engineering on their side. My gut instinct is to play it conservative at the moment and buy the proven '13 model. Once the '14+ models have proven themselves or not, I can always trade after a few years. Like I mentioned earlier, Ram knows that the leaf spring suspension is superior for pulling, since they will be keeping the leafs in the 3500 model...and I will probably be using it for pulling quite a bit (but I still need the off-road capabilities). Overall, I would probably be happy with either year, because Ram always delivers a great product, it's just that some models work better for different applications.