2014 dead key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Really? How can the keyfob battery die on a 2 yr old truck?

Anybody else have to replace theirs yet? I find it a little ridiculous as well since my ram is not a daily driver - ive only put on like 3 thpusand miles this year.....

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I mine wondering if mine is starting to go dead, or something.

Twice in the last week, I have inserted my key and nothing happened. But if I remove it and redo it, it is fine. So, either I am confusing it or something else is going on.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just replaced the one in the Durango today, it's 2 years old. The evic says key fob battery low. I got 4 of the batteries at Amazon for 5 bucks.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine died a couple months ago when my truck was about a year old. Just stopped working completely all the sudden.

jon0m0berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know with mine sometimes if I just rotate the battery clockwise a little itll start working again. when I do this I notice small tiny black dots on the battery itself and I can only assume its causing a bad connection to the fob itself

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mine wondering if mine is starting to go dead, or something.

Twice in the last week, I have inserted my key and nothing happened. But if I remove it and redo it, it is fine. So, either I am confusing it or something else is going on.

A dead battery in your fob won't make your key not start your truck. There is an chip inside that makes the truck start, and it requires no power (like the RFID chip on credit cards).

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Go on ebay and buy 20 of them for 1.99..

Oh also note, there is a screw on the new fobs on the top. You have to take the key out to get it it. I did not see this on my first truck and broke the case.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my old '13 maybe made it a year. the problem is when these are being assembled whoever puts them together im sure they just have a box and grab a battery and go. they could sit in there for a long time before they get used. not to mention how many times a days does it get pressed

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
my old '13 maybe made it a year. the problem is when these are being assembled whoever puts them together im sure they just have a box and grab a battery and go. they could sit in there for a long time before they get used. not to mention how many times a days does it get pressed

weird, like i said my ram is not a daily driver and only clocked around 3k on it this year.

also this is my 2nd keyfob, i lost my 1st one like 6 months ago......

im just very curious why these batteries die so soon, ive had fobs in a nissan and a acura that lasted 5-10+ years easily and a chevy 5+

at least i see its a common thing, just awkward

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
weird, like i said my ram is not a daily driver and only clocked around 3k on it this year.

also this is my 2nd keyfob, i lost my 1st one like 6 months ago......

im just very curious why these batteries die so soon, ive had fobs in a nissan and a acura that lasted 5-10+ years easily and a chevy 5+

at least i see its a common thing, just awkward

i agree. the thing that sucked for me was when mine went dead i used it 2 hours previous and it worked we out to my truck after work and no go. i had to use the metal key to get in with the alarm going off until i started it with the fob.

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
i agree. the thing that sucked for me was when mine went dead i used it 2 hours previous and it worked we out to my truck after work and no go. i had to use the metal key to get in with the alarm going off until i started it with the fob.

ugh yea i was running errands, made a few stops, then finally got to my final stop for food and i couldnt lock my door remotely

i was really confused cuz this truck is literally still brand spanking new and the batteries dead on the 2nd key fob..... :word:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I feel like mines getting weak, I get no messages but I have found myself having to hit the unlock button multiple extra times like 4-5 to get it to unlock all doors and tailgate. Side note I have had mine do the same no start I put the key in and turn it nothing but turn it again without pulling it out and it works fine. Not sure if it didn't read the chip, or if I didn't turn it far enough ect but its happed 3-4 times in a year and half at most but it always works on the second try.