2014 express questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure it doesn't matter so much, but I want opinions or what you guys do..

My 2014 ram is just about to hit 31k miles.

First really nice truck I've owned so I want to take care of it.

Maintenance wise, I'm gonna be due for a oil change soon, I'll be running synthetic for sure. But 5w20 or 5w30 ?? Recommends 5w20 I know.

What about other things? Do you guys go by the owners manual? If it's not broke don't fix it?

Spark plugs, tranny service that sort of thing. What do these hemis like??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The owner's manual is a pretty good go by. Some of the maintenance, IMHO depends on how you drive and the conditions you drive in. I always seem to error on the side of doing the recommended maintenance more often than required. If you can do the maintenance yourself it will be a lot cheaper, however I'd always keep any receipts you get.
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For oil you can check out the oil thread. I used 5-20 penzoil platinum. As for plugs, I suggest replacing with OEM.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I follow the owner's manual and factory recommendations to a T when it comes to maintenance and service. Have always done it that way with every vehicle I've owned and it has never failed me.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always been a follower of manufacturers suggestions. If they call for a 10K oil change then I follow their advice. The naysayers argue that the manufacturers are hoping for engine failure in order to sell vehicles, but the reality is that engines generally don't fail because of oil related issues unless they are mechanical like an oil pump failure. And the argument about synthetics holds water but only if you are going along with the extended change intervals that come with it. Otherwise IMHO you are wasting money for no reason. Dead dinosaurs have done a good job since the beginning of the industry and if the manufacturer doesn't require synthetic then I won't use it. And way too many owners worry about longevity when they are leasing or flipping their vehicle every short period of years, like 3-5. The only thing I would do with oil changes is if I don't cover the "suggested/required" number of miles within a year I tend to change "just because". Yes, another probable waste of funds, but maybe I feel guilty! The oil isn't going to go bad, I know.

As for other expendables I also follow the manufacturers suggestions. I do have a soft spot for NGK plugs but I'm not going to get crazed over that either. If the OEM lasted *** miles/years, then no reason to not go with a known entity.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm sure it doesn't matter so much, but I want opinions or what you guys do..

My 2014 ram is just about to hit 31k miles.

First really nice truck I've owned so I want to take care of it.

Maintenance wise, I'm gonna be due for a oil change soon, I'll be running synthetic for sure. But 5w20 or 5w30 ?? Recommends 5w20 I know.

What about other things? Do you guys go by the owners manual? If it's not broke don't fix it?

Spark plugs, tranny service that sort of thing. What do these hemis like??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with the 5w-20 viscosity oil. It's always best to go with the manufacturer's recommendation unless you're operating in extreme conditions, hot or cold.

Synthetic oil is never a bad choice for these trucks. It has several advantages over conventional oil. Why wouldn't you spend a little more on synthetic to protect the engine in a truck you spent $40K to $50K on? Conventional oil will do the job it was designed for. It's "good enough". Personally, I'd rather go beyond good enough.

Just follow the owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. It won't steer you wrong.