2014 RAM1500 new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope i did not ask for history as is from a GM dealer. I can ask the dodge guys for that details. Nope is ok as i never owned a truck and you guys are experts in this. So i like all the advice.i took my colleague who repairs aircraftsand he said the truck is perfectly ok and thats y i put the deposit on.

I could be totally wrong, I was just providing my opinion. The fact that the tranny needs to be replaced (and these are pretty bulletproof trannies) and needing a set of rear tires just set off some red flags for me. I'd also listen to the engine and make sure it sounds healthy, these are known for lifter issues that in turn wipes out the cam and if the truck has been beat on that could be something coming down the road as well.

Either way, good luck with what you decide. These are awesome trucks and great to drive but as with any other vehicle they have their own quirks as well. :happy107:

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks

Thanks Jared.. I highly appreciate your advice. I got it checked by dodge and talked to service manager and he is saying if the engine is bad, it should show with check engine light & he would fix it because is on warranty and he makes money if he fix the engine. So he says is perfectly good, but no one can promise that this will not have any issues. I got it checked with my colleague too who says no other noise and am going to take it to another mechanic also before I buy (If I decide to go with this).

The 2 trucks you mentioned are not matching me because
1. They still have to add GST and Admin fee and that's almost 32k
2. Axle ratio is 3.92 and am looking for 3.21
3. Blue is not my favorite color lol. The grey one is definitely to be considered and I emailed them. Lets see. I am not sure whether I will get my deposit back from GM guys though :p

But thanks a lot bro.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Jared.. I highly appreciate your advice. I got it checked by dodge and talked to service manager and he is saying if the engine is bad, it should show with check engine light & he would fix it because is on warranty and he makes money if he fix the engine. So he says is perfectly good, but no one can promise that this will not have any issues. I got it checked with my colleague too who says no other noise and am going to take it to another mechanic also before I buy (If I decide to go with this).

The 2 trucks you mentioned are not matching me because
1. They still have to add GST and Admin fee and that's almost 32k
2. Axle ratio is 3.92 and am looking for 3.21
3. Blue is not my favorite color lol. The grey one is definitely to be considered and I emailed them. Lets see. I am not sure whether I will get my deposit back from GM guys though :p

But thanks a lot bro.

Those are asking prices,if you pay them,you need an education on how to buy a vehicle.Make them a stupid offer and work from there.I bought my 2014 brand new for $31,000 with all fee's and taxes included,out in Hanna. Offer them at least 20% less then their asking price,and be prepared to walk out the door if they don't take it,they'll come back with an offer pretty fast if they want to sell a truck to you.If you're approved for 28,000,you have some money to work with,be a little more hard nosed especially if you're buying a Dodge through a GM dealer,they don't want the truck on their lot any longer then possible.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I already paid a deposit of $500, the truck was priced at 28,215. I asked them to put new tires, change windshield and put a 500 deposit providing the truck passes mechanical inspection. Can i change it now? what would be the best price to go for?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I already paid a deposit of $500, the truck was priced at 28,215. I asked them to put new tires, change windshield and put a 500 deposit providing the truck passes mechanical inspection. Can i change it now? what would be the best price to go for?

You'd have to be willing to write off your $500.00 deposit.To me the other 2 trucks listed above seem like better buys,both are lower km's,and odds are the blue one with the 3.92 gears will have a limited slip rear,which can be handy at times in the winter.It's your call,but i'd say you haven't made a very good purchase with your original buy.For a 14 it's definitely on the high side of the expected yearly milege.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind that both the trucks Jared26 linked are also lesser trucks. Neither one has leather and the Blue one is only a quad cab (which I prefer but they are worth less).

Depending on the in-service date a 2014 truck is probably closer to 4 years old than 3 and 99,000 km (60,000 miles) on a 4 year old truck is average around here (with average being 15 to 25 thousand km per year). It is high average but still average. Rig pig trucks average 40 to 50 thousand km a year plus.

I don't think Omisap's choice is a rig pig but by the pics the original owner certainly was one that views vehicles as a means to get from point A to point B and nothing more. That can be said about most vehicles though. It is very hard to find clean well cared for used vehicles, most people abuse and neglect them. Speaking as a former auto detailer everything can be made to look good after the fact.

If you are still undecided or worried about the deal you have I would walk away. Buying a new ride (or new to you) should be something to look forward too and less difficult than this.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are lesser trucks thats true, which I also mentioned in my post, but if it was me personally I'd rather take a lesser one for the same price with half the K's that I'm not already uneasy about than the extra options.

My advice to the OP, (this is the 3rd post I've seen about this truck) is that you're clearly already uncomfortable with it and its not wrong of you to be. I'd take a pass on this truck I don't think you ever would be happy/comfortable with that truck at this point.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Ram is doing 0% financing right now, I don't know what your current financial situation looks like or if you're paying for this one cash or financing it but something to take into perspective is that last year I bought a Brand new, fully loaded sport crew cab for 49,500 which over 7 years at 0% interest including Alberta's 5% tax works out to $618.75 a month and thats at 0 down., total cost is $51,975

Used vehicles are usually at the 6-6.5% interest range so at 28000 plus the 5% tax on a 5 year loan at 6% interest your payments are $568.38 a month. Total cost is 34,103.06.

Now yes that is a difference of a little over $16k in the end, but if you're financing and don't mine the extra 2 years of payments your monthly cost difference is $50, for a brand new truck with full warranty that for the most part shouldn't cost you anything out of pocket aside from regular maintenance for the term of the loan. If you're financing the used truck with 100k on it I'd be willing to bet it's got at least 200k on it before the loan is paid off at which point you will be putting money into it as well.

Just my thoughts, I'm personally more of a buy new kinda guy since I'm so picky, I also hate paying interest but I've got no problem using their money for free (0%). I do understand why people like buying a couple year old used as well though, everyone looks at things different ways.

Edit: Also a 2014 when paid off on a 5 year loan would be an 8 year old 2 owner truck with higher k's than if you bought a brand new 17 which would be a 7 year old 1 owner truck with lower k's on it so it would be worth more on the resale end of things closing some of that cost gap between the new and used as well.

Last edited:

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would write off the 500 bucks and walk away. I learned the hard way after buying a used ram. Price difference between new and used is pretty close, especially when you fator in things like warranty, low interest, and resale value.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With so many vehicles out there, unless you're in some kind of urgent hurry I would pass on this truck. Find one that's been given some decent care over the years.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks

Guys,

Yesterday I was just browsing and came across a Toyota tundra 2013...no issues and 103k kms and 28k. I know this is a dodge forum, but what do u guys think of Tundra? Since the RAM is still under tranny change with dodge, I wont get it before this weekend. I went and saw this and love the truck...factory warranty all completed but dealer is saying he will give a 6 month power train warranty. The tundra is a 2013 double cab sr5 , fully loaded except navigation...now am debating which one to go. LOL...

What are your thoughts of Tundra?

Omnisap

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can't help with the decision on the toyata, but having a new trans in a used vehicle is a good thing.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks hunter

Hunter how about Rebuild trans or new trans? does it make a difference at all? I thought while selling the truck back again in few years, the value of the truck goes down as its a reubuild or refurbished transmission. Is this true?

OS

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Tundra is a nice basic truck, the knocks have been (compared to RAM): rough ride, kinda dog in power, lower mpg, cheap interiors that fall apart, frames that twist under hard use (they spring back).

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hunter how about Rebuild trans or new trans? does it make a difference at all? I thought while selling the truck back again in few years, the value of the truck goes down as its a reubuild or refurbished transmission. Is this true?

OS[/QUOTE.
As I understand it, a reman is refurbished all nonfuctioning and worn parts are replaced with new parts. Don't understand why it's not warrantied though, but shouldn't devalue your truck at all.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks

Oh hunter, they are giving me 2 year unlimited km waranty on the transmission. But rest of power train has only 800kms warranty.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with the tundra

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
RSData

Sorry the deal did not go through, as the Toyota dealership finally refused for a private mechanical inspection. I refused to buy the vehicle without inspection, as there is no warranty once I leave the lot. So now back to 2014 RAM new tranny with 2 year warranty lol

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyotas are generally pretty tough in general. Have owned 4 different models since 1982, and all of them were used when I bought them. They are not cheap to fix, but fortunately they do not require fixing very often. All of them lasted easily 150,000 miles before anything really went out... a starter here, a power steering pump there, and an AC on a third. None of them went to the junk yard and all were sold to a third owner after I wanted to move one. I started with an '81 Corona, then a '96 Tacoma, then a '97 Land Cruiser, and finally a 2001 Solera. I don't recall the mileage when I sold the Corona, but I know the third owner drove it till '95. I also know that the other three are still on the road as daily drivers... so why did I buy a used 2014 RAM last August?

It was a good deal, with 29K miles, Big Horn, 5.7 with the 8 spd and 3.21 gears... everything I wanted including the color for $28,000. I fell in love with the soft ride. I pull a 5,000# travel trailer about 6,000 miles a year with it and it does great for me. Plus it sits up high and I can survey the road ahead very well. ALso the wife liked it also.

I would not question the reliability of the 8 spd transmission... BMW uses the same tranny... in fact they designed it. My daughter's 2011 BMW 750 has the same transmission. Then FIAT/CHRYSLER licensed it to produce in the states. It has been in use in RAMs since 2013 or 14 and I don't think there are that many failures. Shifts smooth and does great as far as I am concerned. When any transmission fails, people just don't normally buy a NEW transmission, they purchase REMAN trannys. If this reman was from RAM as you indicate, it should be as good as new.

good luck with your decision...

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks Rsdata

Yep I did my research and finally decided with RAM 1500 v8 8 speed. Am getting for same 28k CAD and love it sofar. What is your gas mileage with 3.21 axle ratio? Am getting the same axle ratio too.

AG