2014 RAM - what options should I look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viking84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi all!

Due to some strange vehicle tax laws here in Norway I am currently on the lookout for the best possible Dodge Ram I can find, that is registered before 01.01.2014.

Would appreciate advice on what options are "must haves" or even just nice to haves for this model year. Was there a change in gearboxes around this time? Different axle ratios or differentials? Suspension options?

The trucks imported to Norway were generally either Sport Hemi's or Laramie Hemi's, and all were 4x4's and seemingly well specced. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on anything useful :)

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
As far as drive train definitely look for the 8 speed transmission trucks. 3.92 gears are great but not a deal breaker. Anti spin differential is also a very good thing to have IMO.

OP
OP
V

viking84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Cheers. 8-speed sounds like something to look out for - when was that introduced?

As for the limited slip diff, that would be good to have. What kind of tech is that, torsen or clutch based? And was there an option for a rear locker?

Lots of newbie questions here, moving up from a Navara V6 diesel to a proper US truck so it's all new territory for me :)

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Options to look for should be dependent on what you want to do to the truck or use it for. For instance, I wanted to move my 6" lift to a 9+" lift so I could put 22" rims with 37+" tires. However, my gear ratio is 3.21, so not a good idea unless I upgrade my gear ratio, which is just not worth doing at this point. Had I known this from day 1, I would have bought a truck with gear ratios to accommodate this without having to spend even more upgrading that gear ratio that it came with. Maybe post up your plans for the vehicle and everyone can chime in with better information for you!

OP
OP
V

viking84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good point! :)

I will mostly be using the truck to haul motocross bikes and all sorts of other miscellaneous items on the back. Don't think I will be towing much, and if I do I will be limited to 3300kg (7250 lbs) due to local restrictions.

Regarding off road use: I will be fitting the biggest tires that will fit on a stock vehicle, KO2's, Duratracs or similar :) Seriously doubt I will do a lift but if I keep the truck for long enough who knows! I will probably avoid anything rougher than a fire road, no rock crawling or mud bogging shenanigans. Deep snow is likely though, so a rear locker would be good if it can be combined with a limited slip rear diff.

Apart from that this truck will be my daily driver, as well as our long distance tourer for cross country trips, so all relevant mod cons are of interest :)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cheers. 8-speed sounds like something to look out for - when was that introduced?

As for the limited slip diff, that would be good to have. What kind of tech is that, torsen or clutch based? And was there an option for a rear locker?

Lots of newbie questions here, moving up from a Navara V6 diesel to a proper US truck so it's all new territory for me :)

The 8 speed became available in 2013, along with an upgraded interior.

There isn't a rear locker available for 1500s, unfortunately.

I'd love a Navara V6 diesel! The grass is always greener...

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Check out this for a wealth of information on the drive train, including the LSD which is a clutch system on the 1500.
https://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html

I forget what is the biggest size tire you can fit on the 1500 factory wheels without rub. But you can fit 35s with very little or no rub on factory wheels if you level the front with Bilstein adjustable shocks. Nothing complex and its pretty inexpensive.

I am picturing a beefy Ram on the streets of Norway. Sure you will get a lot of attention! :happy107:

OP
OP
V

viking84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd love a Navara V6 diesel! The grass is always greener...
I remember the envy in the Frontier forums when we got the V6 diesels ;) It is a great engine, lots of torque (same as the 5.7 actually), but it still drinks a fair bit of fuel (12 l/100km, about 19 US MPG), and isn't even close to being as refined as the 5.7 Hemi.

I am picturing a beefy Ram on the streets of Norway. Sure you will get a lot of attention! :happy107:
Thanks for the info! Ram's draw quite a bit of attention here that's for sure - my Navara is considered a big truck, the Ram is almost rediculous. They also cost a ****** fortune, but I've decided that V8's are probably going extinct in Europe soon so I better get my fix while I can!

Which truck style were you thinking? There's a regular cab (2dr), then the extended and crew cab (4 doors). Then there are a few seating arrangements like bench seat or console, and Rambox too. Here's a 2013 RAM brochure:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/pdf/141549_DRP12US_1500_eBrochure.pdf
Thanks for the link, that is brilliant info :) I will be aiming for either a crew cab or the extended cab, not quite sure about the box length yet. Crew cab with the longest box is just too big to park anywhere over here ;) Almost all the trucks here are sold with the centre console instead of the third front seat.

OP
OP
V

viking84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That brochure was really helpful! Seems like I will have to go for the Laramie trim in order to get seats with memory. Very strange that this is limited to the high end trims, but given that I am 6'1" and my missus is 5'0" then moving the seats around manually will be a pain in the ass ;)

Shame really as I prefer the look of the Sport trim, but I'm sure I can get some of the Chrome blacked out, or just embrace the whole US truck look fully!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
It is pretty strange that they dont put memory seats in the Sport. If it has leather standard it should just come with the memory seats.

You are right about the V8's though. Even in the US, there are states doing as much as they can to end them. Not just V8's, but any combustion engine.

OP
OP
V

viking84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It is pretty strange that they dont put memory seats in the Sport. If it has leather standard it should just come with the memory seats.

You are right about the V8's though. Even in the US, there are states doing as much as they can to end them. Not just V8's, but any combustion engine.

Indeed - and to be honest if there was a full size truck available with electric motors and decent range I would get one. I agree they are the future, and electric motors are brilliant both from a power and comfort perspective.

Sadly there isn't. So this time around I will be going old school and enjoying the hell out of it ;) Will probably end up putting some form of after market exhaust on the thing just to let the neighbours know that I am helping support the Norwegian oil industry every time I head out!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info! Ram's draw quite a bit of attention here that's for sure - my Navara is considered a big truck, the Ram is almost rediculous. They also cost a ****** fortune, but I've decided that V8's are probably going extinct in Europe soon so I better get my fix while I can!

If you get the 5.7 Hemi, ask for the optional 'neck-brace' because you might need after hammering on the accelerator a few times (that was a joke). Depending on where you live in Norway, parking might not be too bad. I've seen plenty of large vehicles in Scandinavia. They have a lot of rural communities and towns/cities just like anywhere else. They might have 2014 brochures on the Ram website.

There are a ton of Youtube videos that are fun to watch, just type in Dodge Ram or maybe add 'Commercials'. Might want to start with the old Ram when they introduced the (then) new RAM in 94 which was a big deal in the world of truck-dom. You can't really understand Rams unless you understand where they came from. Prior to this Dodge's were solidly behind the rest of the pack. The new '94 Ram put them back on the map. Bob Lutz's first order of business was to make the Ram a good truck and it worked. I have owned mostly GM trucks and a few Fords but Dodge has continually refined it's product and it's really great IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Sflg8lle4
Then, of course you should go and watch "Twister" which is required viewing for Ram owners, just like 'Smokey and the Bandit' is required watching for Trans Am owners!!!

Last edited: