2014 RAM sport V8 HEMI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check and see if the prior owner might have installed a Throttle Body spacer.It'll be a spacer between the TB and the intake manifold.They are notorious for making a whistling noise.

So is an engine with a leak on the engine side of a dirty or overly/omproperly oiled aftermarket air filter

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
2014 RAM1500 sport whining noise

I was going to buy this 2014 RAM SPORT CREW CAB with a dealer and made a $500 deposit. Today I took the truck to the dodge dealer for inspection and I mentioned about the whining noise coming under the hood, when accelerate hard. Dodge finished the 85 point inspection and told me the problem maybe coming from the transmission and needs further diagnosis. Currently the vehicle is at 99,300 kms and have warranty till 100,000 kms. Also they came with up major maintenance to be done for

1. PCV valve replacement $145.86
2.Tune up 8 cylinder $676.25
3. 4 wheel driveline flush service (driveline service) $580
4. Coolant flush $200

* all above rates are in CAD.

1. Am not sure whether to buy this vehicle or not. What do you guys advice?
2. Does the above 4 maintenance really needed at 99,300 kms (or) is the dealer trying to come uo with stories to suck money

Please advice
OS

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to buy this 2014 RAM SPORT CREW CAB with a dealer and made a $500 deposit. Today I took the truck to the dodge dealer for inspection and I mentioned about the whining noise coming under the hood, when accelerate hard. Dodge finished the 85 point inspection and told me the problem maybe coming from the transmission and needs further diagnosis. Currently the vehicle is at 99,300 kms and have warranty till 100,000 kms. Also they came with up major maintenance to be done for

4. Coolant flush $200

2. Does the above 4 maintenance really needed at 99,300 kms (or) is the dealer trying to come uo with stories to suck money

Please advice
OS

Are there any newer, lower mileage rams that are within $2k CAD of that one? If so, I would use the money this requires (not sure everything is required, someone else can answer that) towards a different truck.

And if there are possible transmission problems, I would run away from this one. Does it have the 6 speed transmission?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

4. Coolant flush $200

Please advice
OS

Lots of trucks never get those 4 maintenance items done,and make it well past where the truck is at for milege,but the tranny whine might be something to shy away from though.I'm guessing being a 14 Sport it has a knob for a shifter and will be equipped with the 8 sp ZF tranny,the tranny has a pretty good rep,but there is the odd one that has blown up,and they are an expensive tranny to replace if the cost is out of your pocket.I'd shy away from the truck just because of the tranny issue.If your heart is set on the truck,see if you can get the selling dealer to throw in some kind of extended warrenty if possible,but i'd personally walk away from it,and start looking around more.Lots of trucks for sale in the Calgary area,lol.
Check the surrounding area to. Last 2 new trucks I bought came from Hanna as they were cheaper and easier to deal then dealing with the city dealers. Check the smaller towns outside the city,i know quite a few people swear by the little dealer up in Olds,don't be scared to expand your search a little ways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
JPT & wildone,

Yes there are other RAMS,but they are 3 to 4k expensive than this one. I am getting this one for $28k CAD. Also the transmission will be fixed by dodge free of cost, if the trans is the issue but they don't know at this point. They said it could be mostly from the trans and diagnostic cost and repair cost are covered under warranty. But the problem is the GM dealer wants me to buy the truck and then go to dodge to fix the issue. Am not sure if it is worth taking that risk. What after diagnosis, dodge come back saying is not from transmission...then am stuck with this noise. This is a v8 and 8 speed transmission.

If the noise is from trans and if warranty covers the cost, is it worth taking the truck?

OS

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
At this point, I can take it for diagnostics I guess and have to pay from my pocket regardless. If the noise is from trans, then am covered....if its not, then I pay for the diagnostics and return the vehicle to GM and not buy it. But am thinking is it worth taking that risk and loose another $200 - $300.

OS

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Not that bad

Well I love the look and feel of it, but I don't want to buy something which has issues. Especially in Alberta winter is coming and I need a truck ASAP

OS

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I love the look and feel of it, but I don't want to buy something which has issues. Especially in Alberta winter is coming and I need a truck ASAP

OS

What I meant was do you want it bad enough to risk the 200-300 check ? I understand the concern, but the risk is the question.

That only you can answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Agreed not sure..but I thought if they are going to give a new transmission for free and out of my pocket, is like getting a new truck right? that's where I want you guys opinion. Would you buy if dodge is providing a new transmission for free?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would walk away from it. But that is me. Especially since you do not have the option of the Maxcare warranty (which I got for my truck).

But, if I was going to do it, I would do what you were planning and pay for them to diagnose it before buying. I would also have them do as much of an inspection as possible while they had it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Walk away. Plenty of rams out their for sale. Either buy privately or buy from a ram dealer.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
New Trans

The dealer called me saying they are setting the new trans on this 2014 Ram SPORT.. is it a good thing to buy (or) no?

OS