2014 remote start self installed issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosco15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 3500
Engine
5.7 hemi
I self installed an oem remote start on my 2014 ram 3500 Tradesman. The remote start isn't working. Looking for a little help trouble shooting my install.

1. I put in the new hood latch, connected ground on the wire, then ran the wire back to the #11 terminal on the BCM. This was a little confusing in the instructions. Is there a better schematic to determine the correct terminal for the hood latch?
2. I installed the new RF module and hooked up the included antenna.
3. Then I had the dealer program the truck for remote start and the new keys.

The new key fobs work to lock and unlock doors as well as start the truck with the key in the ignition, but the remote start will not work.

At this point I'm suspecting the hood latch connector is hooked up wrong or the dealer did something wrong when they programmed it.

Any thoughts our ideas are appreciated.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is difficult to troubleshoot this in a forum but here goes; I'm thinking if it is the hood latch switch stopping the remote start function, that should set a code. I know if there is a CEL, that too will prevent a remote start.

Can't give you any guidance on BCM pin location but that may more than likely be the issue.

That is all I got.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rosco15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 3500
Engine
5.7 hemi
We'll I found a pic of the BCM plug on the net with the plugs numbered. I just pulled the plug and verified I'm in #11 and the ground is hooked up.

If you try to remote start the truck the dash lights come on like it wants to start and then a couple moments later they go back out and the truck doesn't do anything.

I'm getting no codes.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did the dealer enable remote start? In addition to programming the hub, they need to add the sales code and also follow a procedure to toggle the remote start inhibit flag. My suspicion is that they didn't follow the whole procedure.

OP
OP
R

rosco15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 3500
Engine
5.7 hemi
As hard as the install looks it really is pretty straight forward. I just went thru the book and went over the install from the hood latch back. It all looks right. I think I'll have the dealer trouble shoot it.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@rosco15 , your dealer will charge you out the yang for troubleshooting.
Lots of dealers screw up adding sales codes .
There's a good chance they will charge you for the troubleshooting and fix the issue by fixing their own mistake .

There are competent dealers out there .
Where are you located Sir ?
I know a great dealer for enabling features via sales code flashing in Johnson City , Tn . If your close it may be worth the drive .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
The sales code (XBM) for remote start has to added to your Vin & a vehicle reconfigure done. Dealer only procedure.

EDIT: just read that you had the dealer program for RS. If they added the sales code & did a reconfigure, then I'd go looking at the bcm & make sure you got the right connector. When using RS, does the horn honk & try to start? Also, are there any cluster messages when trying? If so, then I'd be looking at the hood latch & connector. Double check the RF module too. 1st thing 1st, make sure the dealer did their job right. It'll save any unnecessary diag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rosco15

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 3500
Engine
5.7 hemi
No the horn doesn't honk, and I'm getting no cluster messages when I try to remote start. The only thing I get is the backlights on the dash kick on when I try to remote start.