2015 Dodge Ram Sport lift and lower hydraulics anyone have any issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evanxrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend of mine is thinking of purchasing the 2015 Dodge Ram Sport used it has 44000 km on it and has an option to lower and lift the truck with two keys on the dashboard below the climate system

After talking to a friend who worked at Chrysler he is very iffy about the hydraulics and his dealerships as they are not carrying any trucks with it now

It's a pretty cool option but doesn't want to get himself into something with issues that's going to cost a lot of money

Haven't found much on the internet in terms of problems with it does anyone have experience with this your feedback is appreciated thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is an air ride system (not hydraulics, hydraulics are a fluid based system). I do not have it, but there are tons of people here in the US with them. I would imagine it does get expensive (just like Range Rover or any other adjustable ride height vehicle) when things go wrong.

I am not sure if anyone here can tell you about the longevity of the system (other than high mileage, which will be mostly highway) as I believe the system is too new (by years) to get a true assessment. But so far, I have not seen many complaints about the system on any forum.

OP
OP
E

evanxrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is an air ride system (not hydraulics, hydraulics are a fluid based system). I do not have it, but there are tons of people here in the US with them. I would imagine it does get expensive (just like Range Rover or any other adjustable ride height vehicle) when things go wrong.

I am not sure if anyone here can tell you about the longevity of the system (other than high mileage, which will be mostly highway) as I believe the system is too new (by years) to get a true assessment. But so far, I have not seen many complaints about the system on any forum.
Thanks for the details. Was not sure if it was hydraulic or air.

Want to reach out to see if anyone has experienced issues. The truck is well priced.

Could see a repair or fix for the lift system being very expensive if problems arise.

What do you mean "high mileage on the highway" ?

Poor gas mileage?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do you mean "high mileage on the highway" ?

I mean that you may find vehicles with the air ride system with high mileage, but not by years (as the system is too new to say how it lasts for 10 years). Because it is so new, those with high mileage would likely be people who drive a lot on the highway to get those miles.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might want to search ram rebel forums since they all have the air suspension

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I was in the same boat regarding the air suspension in my truck. After the Rebel was introduced lots of vendors are making air ride components. The price of the air shocks are a bit pricy but not over the top. I inquired with a RAM dealer about servicing it in the event it needs work. Parts and labor to replace the tanks and shocks were around $3500. Driving my truck with air suspension versus a traditional suspension is night and day, the truck acts more like a car when pushing it at higher speeds. Having the ability to raise the truck when going off road and working under it as well as lowering it for highway speeds out weighs the cost for me.

2016 RAM 1500 Limited

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Rebel air suspension has been perfect so far...but my Rebel only has 2250 miles on it.

4 heights:

Entry/Exit (lowest)
Aero (62+ mph)
Normal
Off Road

When I'm around town its in normal mode...hit the highway...automatically drops to Aero...slow down and it goes back to Normal.

Love the system myself...although I will say...the air suspension and the electronics are why I purchased an extended warranty (6 years / 100K miles).

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
had my 2014 Laramie with factory air suspension run away they are not going to give you a reliable ride. if you do buy it get the longest warranty you can get to service it.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A friend of mine is thinking of purchasing the 2015 Dodge Ram Sport used it has 44000 km on it and has an option to lower and lift the truck with two keys on the dashboard below the climate system

After talking to a friend who worked at Chrysler he is very iffy about the hydraulics and his dealerships as they are not carrying any trucks with it now

It's a pretty cool option but doesn't want to get himself into something with issues that's going to cost a lot of money

Haven't found much on the internet in terms of problems with it does anyone have experience with this your feedback is appreciated thanks

If your friends dealer is not selling any Rams with the air ride suspension thy mist be severely limiting their sales because all of the Rebels and Laramie Longhorn and Laramie Lomited come with the air suspension by default and it is not possible to get those models without it.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your friends dealer is not selling any Rams with the air ride suspension thy mist be severely limiting their sales because all of the Rebels and Laramie Longhorn and Laramie Lomited come with the air suspension by default and it is not possible to get those models without it.

You would be surprised... Those models are not even close to the top selling trucks. A dealer can make good money (lots of sales) without even carrying one of them. I mean, look out on the road, even here in Long Island NY, where most of the trucks (mine included) are non-work truck and the household income is very high, maybe 1 out of every 10-15 I see are models above the big horn/sport.

When I was looking for mine CPO, at two dealers, there were only 2 Laramie's, no limited, and no rebels (I wouldn't expect any of these) available in the used market.

It is a hard sale to sell a CPO vehicle over $35k-$40k when you can buy a brand new big horn for a few $k more. And new, it's hard to sell a $60k pickup truck (especially overseas/out side the US where there are import taxes) when there are full sized luxury SUV's out there.

Last edited:

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
You would be surprised... Those models are not even close to the top selling trucks. A dealer can make good money (lots of sales) without even carrying one of them. I mean, look out on the road, even here in Long Island NY, where most of the trucks (mine included) are non-work truck and the household income is very high, maybe 1 out of every 10-15 I see are models above the big horn/sport.

When I was looking for mine CPO, at two dealers, there were only 2 Laramie's, no limited, and no rebels (I wouldn't expect any of these) available in the used market.

It is a hard sale to sell a CPO vehicle over $35k-$40k when you can buy a brand new big horn for a few $k more. And new, it's hard to sell a $60k pickup truck (especially overseas/out side the US where there are import taxes) when there are full sized luxury SUV's out there.

I am not sure where in LI you live but I bought my truck from Smithhaven RAM Jeep, the majority of their new and CPO were Laramie and higher. That was the reason I drove from Nassau County near the queens border to buy my truck.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure where in LI you live but I bought my truck from Smithhaven RAM Jeep, the majority of their new and CPO were Laramie and higher. That was the reason I drove from Nassau County near the queens border to buy my truck.

I looked at Westbury Jeep and ended up buying from Security Dodge in Amityville. Both had tons of big horns and lower in the 2015+. When I looked, Westbury jeep had one 2017 Long horn Laramie but the price was higher than a new big horn.

It's not just NY/LI market though, most of the world buys lower to mid end vehicles. By numbers, I'm sure lower to mid are their top sellers world wide.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You would be surprised... Those models are not even close to the top selling trucks. A dealer can make good money (lots of sales) without even carrying one of them.

I'm sure trim level sales are regional but if I was a dealer, I wouldn't want to give up 26% of my 1500 sales, or 48% of my 2500 sales, or 52% of my 3500 sales because I didn't stock the Laramie trims.

Here is the RAM sales mix (from RAM's dealer order guide);

Tradesman/Express 23%
Bighorn/Lonestar 42%
Rebel/Sport 14%
Laramie 15%
Longhorn/Longhorn Limited 6%

Engine mix 3.6L 16%, 5.7L 84%, ECOdiesel late availablity
Drive train 4x2 21%, 4x4 79%

Tradesman/Express 30%
Bighorn/Lonestar 18%
Laramie 37%
Longhorn/Longhorn Limited 11%
Powerwagon 4%

Engine mix Gas 40%, Diesel 60%
Drive train 4x2 3%, 4x4 97%

Tradesman 30%
BigHorn/LoneStar 18%
Laramie 33%
Longhorn/Limited 19%

Engine mix Gas 7%, Diesel 93%
Drive train 4x2 5%, 4x4 95%

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in Texas at least half of the Rams I see are Laramies or up.

Same with F-150s - Lariats or up.

I can't readily identify Chevys - LTZ or High Country or whatever.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure trim level sales are regional but if I was a dealer, I wouldn't want to give up 26% of my 1500 sales, or 48% of my 2500 sales, or 52% of my 3500 sales because I didn't stock the Laramie trims.

As we were talking about 1500s, your stats show exactly what I was saying 65% of sales are Bighorn and down (assuming these are NEW truck sales). Now, take into account what I also said about being hard to sell used vehicles higher than the cost of a new Bighorn and down.

Dealers look for quick turn-around on used (which was the discussion we were talking about, used 1500s), a dealer would have a much quicker sale sticking to Bighorn and down.

At least that is my belief.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As we were talking about 1500s, your stats show exactly what I was saying 65% of sales are Bighorn and down (assuming these are NEW truck sales). Now, take into account what I also said about being hard to sell used vehicles higher than the cost of a new Bighorn and down.

Dealers look for quick turn-around on used (which was the discussion we were talking about, used 1500s), a dealer would have a much quicker sale sticking to Bighorn and down.

At least that is my belief.

Yeah the majority of 1500s sold are not the upper trim levels but for a dealer to just decide not to sell any air ride equipped trucks does not make much sense. I bet if you looked up the dealers inventory there are Air ride trucks on the lot. I would bet that FCA would require them to have at least some of the upper end models on the lot as part of a dealer requirement.

Even though less high end trucks are sold the higher up in trim you go the more profit there is for the dealer per truck.

Two Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM RCSB Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also where you live has a lot to do with the level of trim you buy(for the most part). Where I live a $60k+ truck is a rusty piece of crap in 6-10 years depending on how you look after it.

If I lived in Texas or Arizona or some place similar, I would buy a higher end vehicle knowing that it will never rot out.

My local RAM dealer sells mostly Outdoorsman 1500s

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
your stats show exactly what I was saying

Clarification, these are not MY stats, as I originally stated, they are from RAM's dealer ordering guide and are recommendations of yard stock trim level balance.

I don't have an opinion in this argument but thought it was interesting to see the trim level mix by RAM model. I'm sure each dealer knows his customer base and orders their trim level yard stock based on historic sales.