2016 Rebel Pull to the left when acceleration Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone else noticed that their new Rebel or ram 1500 pulls hard to the left to the point that the truck will change lanes instantly when accelerating hard, and then pull to the right when decelerating?
Plus the steering is very touchy when driving straight. I have to give it constant input with the steering wheel because I cannot find a sweet spot where it will go straight. It does not matter what speed or road I am on it is constantly drifting side to side.
I took it to the dealer and showed the tech what it was doing when I dropped it off, and the next day they said three techs could not get it to do it, and the alignment is good. I think they are full of crap.
I never had this issue with my 07 Ram that I owned for 9 years, and my Challenger also has the electric power powering steering pump, and it does not pull one way of another, even when rolling smoke off the rear tires. :happy107:
FYI: The rebel is a 4X4 and has 3000 miles on it, and has done it since the day I picked it up. Thanks

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it fighting you as in pulling on the steering wheel? Can you go somewhere secluded and record the first person view of giving it has with no hands on the wheel?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Have the alignment checked by a good independent shop and make sure they do both axles not just the front.

Sure sounds like it needs a tweak due to the reaction both on acceleration and deceleration. Be sure to tell the shop what you are experiencing.

For the $100 +/- it will give you peace of mind and potentially the issue to take back to the dealer if it's not alignment.

Last edited:

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
test drove one that did this, called it to attention of salemen and sales manager, they said it would be checked out when I signed papers on truck...
I laughed, said a few cuss words and left
I was like, get the F'ing truck right before the sale and don't play ne dumb.

Nerve of people thinking we are dumb.

OP
OP
Ram Night

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for the replies. When I am driving it down the road, the steering wheel is not pulling one way or another even when I let go of it, and the wandering is very little. If it is drifting to the right, I can turn the wheel to the left just enough to see it move and it will start to drift to the left, and so on. But it gets worse in areo mode when the air ride system drops the suspension about 3/4".
This is why I think this is an alignment issue.
Now if I was to give it a little throttle it will slowly drift to left, but if it mat the throttle, it will change lanes right now.
When I first picked up the truck, it was raining, so I was not on the throttle very hard driving it home. I was not paying much attention to the touchy steering as I thought it was just a change from my old ram at first. Then I called the dealer, and scheduled them to check it out a week later. This is when they said nothing was wrong with it when they looked at it.
I am going back there this week to have my salesman which have dealt with for 25 years, and the service manager drive it, so I can give them a hands on.
while I am there, I plan on driving another Rebel, and 1500 Ram sport to see if there do the same thing to compare them.
One thing that I thought today is, this Rebel came with a open rear differential, and all of my other trucks that I have owned since 1976 had a limited-slip diff, and this might be causing the torque steering issue when I am on the throttle.
If this is the case, I will install a limited-slip diff soon. I already have it , but I am waiting until spring to install it.

OP
OP
Ram Night

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it do this prior to you buying it?

If so, why'd you buy it?
I did not notice the puling to the left because it was raining when I drove it and was easy on the throttle. I thought the wandering was just a tighter front end than my 07 that I traded in for the first couple of days.

miscverb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
test drove one that did this, called it to attention of salemen and sales manager, they said it would be checked out when I signed papers on truck...
I laughed, said a few cuss words and left
I was like, get the F'ing truck right before the sale and don't play ne dumb.

Nerve of people thinking we are dumb.

I just had this happen not 1 hour ago. Test drove a 2017 Ram Rebel. Pulled to the left at about 25 mph. I said the truck pulls to the left. Sales guy says it is the wind. I laughed.

Decided to get on the internet and do a search. And here we are. To the Chevy dealer tomorrow for a test drive.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought the rebel came with a limited slip diff.......

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
iirc correctly, LSD is an option on the rebel.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just had this happen not 1 hour ago. Test drove a 2017 Ram Rebel. Pulled to the left at about 25 mph. I said the truck pulls to the left. Sales guy says it is the wind. I laughed.

Decided to get on the internet and do a search. And here we are. To the Chevy dealer tomorrow for a test drive.

You can't make the chevy look better. The Ram can get an alignment :)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
iirc correctly, LSD is an option on the rebel.

Per the Ram website....the rebel comes with a limited slip rear diff as standard equipment on 4x4 & 4x2 versions, as well as the 3.92 gears.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ Good thing it's not the diff lol-
Get both axels aligned.

Amos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry. Repeated what someone else said.

Mayh3m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '17 1500 Sport that I haven't driven in 6 months.. I'll be on the lookout for this when I get her out of storage next week! I was going to pull her out of the little bay and put her in the big bay for some mods before taking her out. Guess I'll be going for a drive and stretching her legs to look for it.

I don't recall anything like this but she only has 860 miles on her. Maybe I wasn't hard enough on her before putting her up. :naughty: