2017 CTD-first worlds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fellas. I have a raging case of the first worlds. Got the wife to sign off on a new RAM 2500 CTD. Don't ask me how I did that. It's too painful to discuss.

My question is on options. Is there anything that is a must have? Must avoid? I'm finding it nearly impossible to navigate these crappy dealer websites.

Air ride? Alternator size? Etc?

Also I don't give a rip about gas mileage. Go with the 4.1 gears? Seems like no one orders trucks with 4.1 gears?!?

Thanks

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A 2500 with a CTD doesn't give you the option to select axle ratios, you get a 3:42.

Get the Longhorn or Limited trim if you want unbelievable seating quality.

RAM's navigation system sucks. Even though they claim it is by Garmin, they must not have bought the full Garmin package that includes a router that routes.

My favorite options are the keyless enter and go (only available on the Laramie trims), air leveling suspension (I pull a big RV), vented seating, rear cargo cam, fifth wheel prep package, memory seats.

I bought the cold weather group which gives you a plug for the engine block heater and a front grill cover. Also added the heavy duty snow prep group which adds the 220 amp alternator and a transfer case skid plate.

Other than that, congratulations.

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can I ask if the air leveling suspension gives a smoother ride unloaded?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can I ask if the air leveling suspension gives a smoother ride unloaded?

I do not believe it does, at least on a 3500. Since I never drove a non-air ride 3500 for any length of time I can not compare the ride quality between the two. Test drives are not enough to render an answer.

On the 2500s, the rear air leveling system is completely different than the 3500 implementation. You can download the RAM HD brochure from the RAM website to read more about it.

I've read posts on the various sites that claim the air ride removes the harshness of the suspension on 3500s but in reality, I doubt one could tell the difference.

RAM advertises the air leveling system for load-leveling, nowhere do they claim a ride difference or call it an air ride system. Don't buy it with the hopes of a smoother ride with an empty truck, loaded truck, different story.

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not believe it does, at least on a 3500. Since I never drove a non-air ride 3500 for any length of time I can not compare the ride quality between the two. Test drives are not enough to render an answer.

On the 2500s, the rear air leveling system is completely different than the 3500 implementation. You can download the RAM HD brochure from the RAM website to read more about it.

I've read posts on the various sites that claim the air ride removes the harshness of the suspension on 3500s but in reality, I doubt one could tell the difference.

RAM advertises the air leveling system for load-leveling, nowhere do they claim a ride difference or call it an air ride system. Don't buy it with the hopes of a smoother ride with an empty truck, loaded truck, different story.

My wife loves the availability of a front bench seat. So we could theoretically have 6 people in the vehicle. Does the Laramie delete that option?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The automatic leveling rear air system does not change the ride quality but it is a very cool option for hauling loads, hooking up a 5th wheel, etc...

The rear cargo cam is a very nice option.

It took me a while to get used to the enter and go feature but I've come to like it. The ventilated seats are a nice touch,

Memory seats and mirrors are a must have if the Mrs. is going to be driving the truck.

The Laramie trim package has everything I needed.

CTD = 3.42 gears in a 2500. 3.73's are available with the Aisin transmission on select 3500's. 4.10's are available but usually it means you have to order it that way. If you are going to be hauling heavy all the time, I'd go with the 3500/Aisin/3.73 package.

Payload on the 2500's is not what you'd expect it to be. Even the 2500's with the 6.4L HEMI have a higher payload due to the fact the Cummins is heavier than the HEMI. But, it will pull a decently sized trailer all day long.

Get the dual battery setup and watch for it having been cannabilized at the dealer. You can get a dual alternator option as well.

Have fun shopping!

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks fellas. A couple more questions here as I continue to shop. And I will be certainly test driving them thoroughly

1)the offroad package comes with some billstein shocks. This truck will be my daily driver so I am trying to optimize the ride. usually the off road shocks are a little softer and help with the ride. Is this the case here?

2)Whats a good, great and out of this world deal on one of these trucks.

10-12K off MSRP? How is that? standard?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks fellas. A couple more questions here as I continue to shop. And I will be certainly test driving them thoroughly

1)the offroad package comes with some billstein shocks. This truck will be my daily driver so I am trying to optimize the ride. usually the off road shocks are a little softer and help with the ride. Is this the case here?

2)Whats a good, great and out of this world deal on one of these trucks.

10-12K off MSRP? How is that? standard?

Ride quality is more about the road surface you are driving on. Don't expect a HD truck to give you a car like ride yet haul tons of stuff. People seem to love the RAM 2500 because the rear coil spring suspension yields the best of both worlds. I would not want to daily drive my 3500 on the roads in SE Michigan, at least not without a kidney belt.

A good deal, average percentage off MSRP is 19 dot something percent depending on factory incentives and how many you qualify for. Start by looking at New & Used Ram For Sale in Caldwell | Dennis Dillon online inventory, they post the sale price and as low as price (incentive based). I use Dillon's pricing to get a price match from a local dealer, if you can't find one willing to price match, Dillon offers free shuttle from the Bosie airport.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
For me, the Offroad package was a must. Was worth it in my opinion, love the way the truck rides with it. It is not going absorb bumps like a sedan but it also feels really planted and doesnt shimmy around at all. Even on really torn up roads. I was behind a Ford half ton the other day on a really ****** stretch of road watching his truck getting thrown all over the place while I was steering my 2500 with 3 fingers. These trucks are solid as it is, but the Bilsteins just make it even better.

You can order the Laramie with bench seat (it is standard). Just don't option the bucket seat set up and it will have the bench. You will not get heated rear seats with the bench seat. But to be honest, it would be difficult to fit an adult in that seat.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Get a 3500 so you can get 4:10 gears if your going to upsize tires if not get 3:73s. cant believe they would only give you 3:42 gears in a truck meant for pulling thats just stupid. and if you ever step up to a 35 your transmission will hate you.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Get a 3500 so you can get 4:10 gears if your going to upsize tires if not get 3:73s. cant believe they would only give you 3:42 gears in a truck meant for pulling thats just stupid. and if you ever step up to a 35 your transmission will hate you.

You only get to chose your axle ratio on a dually CTD.

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
my 2500 has the off-road package with tuned suspension-it rides great for a heavy duty truck with 3000+lb payload-get the laramie

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been waffleing back and forth between the Chevy/GMC and the CTD.

The new Duramax has a ton of power but the 3.7 gears probably has something to do with it. I can't believe how terrible the Chevy rides compared to the 2500 Ram with off road package.

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question about the CTD. Are there different ones? I know you can get the 900 in the 3500 only but does the 2500 come with a standard one?

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question about the CTD. Are there different ones? I know you can get the 900 in the 3500 only but does the 2500 come with a standard one?

There are 3 different factory tuned 6.7's depending on the tranny. 3500/Aisin is the 900 lb-ft, the standard auto 68rfe is 800 and the manual G56 is somewhere around 600 lb-ft.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I got to ask, it's been 7 days.. I would have pulled the trigger already!!

It's awesome seeing someone doing so much home work.

I looked at Chevy, but didn't like the style, didn't like the interior and I didn't like their ride...

I look back now and my wifes 2006 Durango interior is par with the Chevy! WTF CHEVY?!??!!

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got to ask, it's been 7 days.. I would have pulled the trigger already!!

It's awesome seeing someone doing so much home work.

I looked at Chevy, but didn't like the style, didn't like the interior and I didn't like their ride...

I look back now and my wifes 2006 Durango interior is par with the Chevy! WTF CHEVY?!??!!

Haha. My wife feels the same way. Pull the damn trigger already!

My buddy works at a local Chevy dealer and convinced me to try out the new Duramax for 24 hours. I did love the new Duramax. But it rode like crap, backup camera sucks and interior is bleh.

I like the Denali looks but to get any good options you have to delete the bench seat. My wife's one single​ demand is a bench.

Seems like a Laramie​ is my best bet.

OP
OP
D

DocPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How easy will it be to tune the new Cummins in my truck ? I'm hearing conflicting things

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
DocPhil, I'll throw my 2 pesos in the mix here.

I have the 2500 Mega Cab 6.4 Hemi so this is where I'm coming from. Lots of people would disagree with me but I think the 2500 Ram or any 3/4 ton truck with the diesel to be a bit of a waste. It was touched on earlier but you lose a lot of payload capacity gong with the 2500 instead of the 3500. If you are a "by the books" kinda guy you really limit your towing capacities with the diesel 2500s. It is probably not necessary but if I went 3500 id also get the Aisin Trans. Don't remember if gears other than 3.42 are available but if so then I'd get the 4:10. If you have no plans to ever tow anything then a 2500 diesel would work well but then that's a lot of extra money spent on a diesel for a small MPG increase.

On the trim packages I love my Laramie. The Leather bucket seats with the center counsel are great. Love the two separate storage compartments for storing crap. There has been very few times that I'd wish I'd had the ability to seat six people over the five I can seat with ,y bucket seats. I feel the comfort and luxury of the bucket seats far outweighs the ability to occasionally car one other small adult or child in the middle front seat.

Also, if you have not looked at a Mega Cab I'd highly recommend it. Will not own another truck that is not a MC so long as the option is there.