2017 diesel availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebsr52339

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 1500
Engine
V6 gas
New here so bare with me. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 V6 gas. Love it.
Want a diesel, 2017. My dealer says he can't help because of some emissions problems with the engine. Fine, but when can I order one? He does not know. Does anyone know "what the status on this issue is". Would like to get one on order in the next two months or so. Thanks for any info.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Want a diesel, 2017. My dealer says he can't help because of some emissions problems with the engine. Fine, but when can I order one? He does not know. Does anyone know "what the status on this issue is". Would like to get one on order in the next two months or so. Thanks for any info.

I'm assuming your talking about the eco diesel? I know a few people that have/had one. Lots of issues.

Now if your talking about the 2500,3500, then go to a different dealer. Mine has lots of 'em.

OP
OP
R

rebsr52339

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 1500
Engine
V6 gas
Sorry, was talking about the ECO. Is there a thread on here that discusses that engine? Thanks

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Please don't take this as fact but somewhere I read where the Smaller diesels were getting their emissions checked thoroughly after the VW fiasco.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The EPA is dragging their feet releasing the truck.

Remember the internet is a cesspool of people complaining about something and not a whole lot of people go out of there way to say anything nice. I know of many EcoDs that have been trouble free, several of them in excess of 100K.
There is a whole forum just for the RAM 1500 Diesel

OP
OP
R

rebsr52339

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 1500
Engine
V6 gas
Thank you so much for all the info guys. You made my day.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The EPA is dragging their feet releasing the truck.

Remember the internet is a cesspool of people complaining about something and not a whole lot of people go out of there way to say anything nice. I know of many EcoDs that have been trouble free, several of them in excess of 100K.
There is a whole forum just for the RAM 1500 Diesel
^^^^This^^^^

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

rebsr52339

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram 1500
Engine
V6 gas
BTY crash68, your link brings me to an Ebay site. Is this right?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
BTY crash68, your link brings me to an Ebay site. Is this right?
Nope, must be something on your end, it should goto that forum(the one mentioned above). try copy & paste or Google search it

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with the ecodiesel being a troublesome engine. Make sure you do on depth research.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It is unknown when and if the eco will be EPA certified. EPA thinks FCA violated a reporting rule, FCA says they are full of it. EPA will likely want FCA to pay a fine and remove some engine protection features. FCA may just say no, as they sell a bunch of them overseas.

I know hundreds of ECO owners with lots of trouble free miles. Those that have trouble seems to have emission equipment issues.

EPA published a report on their findings awhile ago. There is only speculation about what FCA's plans are.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Be careful when doing your "research" and don't cherry pick the information that supports your bias. The ED had issues in its first year and they've been addressed. As has been noted a couple of times here, there are a lot of ED's out there with tons of trouble free miles. Most of the reports of problems you'll read about affected the first model year. 2014, I think. I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My 2016 Ecodiesel has 26,000 kms on it. 0 issues.

My dad's 2016 Ecodiesel has 30,000 kms on it. 0 issues.

My uncles 2014 Ecodiesel has 60,000 kms on it. 0 issues.

I love the engine, amazing fuel mileage, sounds good, and tows very well. The EPA thing is all up in the air. We don't know what is going to be happening yet. Hopefully it's over with soon!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As an FCA tech I wouldn't recommend the Eco diesel if the majority of your driving is just putting around the city. As well these engines need to hit operating temp every time they're driven as well need the winterfront when it's cold. Excessive idle time, not reaching operating, and only city driving will lead to problems for many eco diesels.

We're starting to see a fair bit of EGR problems, most being clogged. Some get covered under warranty, lots don't due to excessive idle time. Some dealers can get them covered, others can't. FCA tells us cleaning of the EGR system is a maintenance thing, yet there is no procedure or maintenance schedule for the EGR system. Then there is the DEF issues.

I was going to start a thread just for these issues, I still may if you guys want. So basically I wouldn't recommend the Eco diesel unless you do regular highway driving to allow it to properly regen/reach operating temp. The Eco diesel can do "mini regens" in city but still should be taken on the highway regularly. Also make sure the winterfront is on if it's below 1C. Warranty can be denied if it's not on and the problem was created by a cold engine.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As an FCA tech I wouldn't recommend the Eco diesel if the majority of your driving is just putting around the city. As well these engines need to hit operating temp every time they're driven as well need the winterfront when it's cold. Excessive idle time, not reaching operating, and only city driving will lead to problems for many eco diesels.

We're starting to see a fair bit of EGR problems, most being clogged. Some get covered under warranty, lots don't due to excessive idle time. Some dealers can get them covered, others can't. FCA tells us cleaning of the EGR system is a maintenance thing, yet there is no procedure or maintenance schedule for the EGR system. Then there is the DEF issues.

I was going to start a thread just for these issues, I still may if you guys want. So basically I wouldn't recommend the Eco diesel unless you do regular highway driving to allow it to properly regen/reach operating temp. The Eco diesel can do "mini regens" in city but still should be taken on the highway regularly. Also make sure the winterfront is on if it's below 1C. Warranty can be denied if it's not on and the problem was created by a cold engine.

Dont want to thread jack.....but does this go for the cummins too? Would deleting the truck whether it's the eco diesel or cummins help?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dont want to thread jack.....but does this go for the cummins too? Would deleting the truck whether it's the eco diesel or cummins help?

It pretty much goes for any new diesel. The emission standards really hurt new diesels. All manufactures seem to be having trouble meeting them and doing it reliably.

Deleting the truck would vastly improve long term reliability. As for the cummins, most issues we see are related to the DEF system. It's to the point now that fixing the issue properly the first time is hit or miss, you'll fix one issue only to find another one. They can't seem to get their **** together on how to properly diagnose/repair the DEF systems. It's very frustrating as a tech trying to fix them.

The most common failures are the SCR catalyst, DEF pump, and the DCU(Dosing Control Unit) it's the module that controls the DEF system. Those 3 things are pretty much the whole system. Most of those parts are on constant back orders too. Aside from emissions failures, the cummins engine itself is pretty bulletproof.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am watching this very closely and the answer is no anybody know when they will be release except few people at epa.

I have a 2014 6 speed hemi and I was looking for a eco diesel since I will need to use my truck at work for the next 3 years, and the mpg is too bad for 50000 km per year.

I dont need it now , but I will need it in the next 3 months. If nothing happen i don't know what I will do, but my truck take much to gas now for that kind of job.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am watching this very closely and the answer is no anybody know when they will be release except few people at epa.

I have a 2014 6 speed hemi and I was looking for a eco diesel since I will need to use my truck at work for the next 3 years, and the mpg is too bad for 50000 km per year.

I dont need it now , but I will need it in the next 3 months. If nothing happen i don't know what I will do, but my truck take much to gas now for that kind of job.

If you aren't planning on towing then the Pentastar v6 would be a better option. It's cheaper and not towing gets similar mileage as the ecodiesel and is a lot less money to buy.

Do the math before you buy, 50,000km a year is a lot of driving but the difference in fuel price from your Hemi to an ecodiesel or Pentastar is only going to be about $2000-$2500 a year, so if the only reason you are upgrading the truck is fuel mileage you may not come out ahead.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I need a 6'4" bed, and now I have a kid and I found the quad cab small, Yes it does the job and since I have my baby it does the job. But if I have to swap the truck , I will definitely get a crew cab. Unfortunatly the 3.6 can't came as a crew cab and 6'4" bed.

I also tow a 6000lb travel trailer 6-10 per year for few miles per drive ( around 50 miles ). I know the it won't hurt too much the penta star, but I fear that if I add a huge strobe on the top of my truck cap and an arrow board it wil drag air and reduce the mpg since the engine is not too powerful.

I drive for about a year a f-150 ecoboost as a work truck give my employer with that kind of setup and the mpg was similar to the mpg of my sister with a stock ram pentastar.

I'm afraid to swap for a pentastar and got a little better mpg than my hemi will do.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi

This is the reason I went with another 6.4. My driving is short low speed trips. Going from one lawn to the next (well at least 6 months a yr). Previous diesels were costing me $$$ in repairs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963