2017 diesel availability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Thats why I traded to the Hemi, 6 miles to work and the 6.7 would not warm up. pretty sure my turbo went out from this gettimg all sooted up.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is the reason I went with another 6.4. My driving is short low speed trips. Going from one lawn to the next (well at least 6 months a yr). Previous diesels were costing me $$$ in repairs.

A lot of companies that previously employed fleets of diesels have switched to gas now for that reason. Repairs/maintenance to high and they can't be idled all day without messing **** up. We regularly get Cummins service trucks in. They use them as service vehicles, usually at least a 3500 with a service box on the back. Vast majority of the trucks have the 6.4 HEMI. Kinda funny to see a service truck that has Cummins written all over it that's powered by a gas engine.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
A lot of companies that previously employed fleets of diesels have switched to gas now for that reason. Repairs/maintenance to high and they can't be idled all day without messing **** up. We regularly get Cummins service trucks in. They use them as service vehicles, usually at least a 3500 with a service box on the back. Vast majority of the trucks have the 6.4 HEMI. Kinda funny to see a service truck that has Cummins written all over it that's powered by a gas engine.

Lol, that is funny. Was getting gas the other day, and younger guy pulls up in a 2500 Cummins. Looks at my truck, and says awful lot of truck for a gas engine.. I just shrugged my shoulders, and said to each his own...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is pretty funny because my company just got in 5 new Super Duty bucket trucks, all 6.7 Powerstrokes. The bucket trucks idle for most of the day, then you have the DEF fluid, regens, etc. I couldn't believe it when I saw they were Powerstrokes.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please don't take this as fact but somewhere I read where the Smaller diesels were getting their emissions checked thoroughly after the VW fiasco.

You are right, so they can take it as fact. The eco is made by VM Motori, who played a little trick with the US and Emissions. They put programming into to the ECU that tricked emissions testing. So they blocked everything until it is fixed. You can order them all day long but you wont see one for quite a while.

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you aren't planning on towing then the Pentastar v6 would be a better option. It's cheaper and not towing gets similar mileage as the ecodiesel and is a lot less money to buy.

Do the math before you buy, 50,000km a year is a lot of driving but the difference in fuel price from your Hemi to an ecodiesel or Pentastar is only going to be about $2000-$2500 a year, so if the only reason you are upgrading the truck is fuel mileage you may not come out ahead.

Sorry but that is dead wrong on being a better option. I had the v6, it is a dog, shifting is all over the place with the 8 speed. Touchy pedal and no not even close to the mpg the eco gets. Mine was a CC, 4x4 and I only got 18 with it. I get 17 with my hemi now. I have a buddy that has a loaded cc 4x4 eco and he is at 24. Another guy I know has a 2wd and he is at 29mpg. No comparison. And 2-2.5k is a lot of money over 10 years you are talking $20-30k in fuel difference.